Rising and falling oil levels?

Hi, has anyone else here had their oil levels fluctuate? I have been routinely monitoring my level and normally, because I do a lot of motorway driving find that it is going down (a bit). But on Monday night I checked it and it had actually gone up? Same parking position BTW. I read somewhere that it could be diesel bypassing the injectors and ending up in the sump? Any other thoughts? My only other unknown is that I had the air-conditioning and brake fluid serviced at a Skoda dealer last Friday and they may have topped it up? They never stated that they did. 

How long are you leaving it before checking? If you are checking it when warm (after say leaving to rest for 10 mins) it may give a different reading to when it is cold. Ideally check it on the same spot when the engine is cold.

It is possible they topped it up then. If it was injector seals then it is unlikely to have started that quickly. Check the paperwork they gave you after the work was done, or give them a call to see

Check it anytime when parked on the flat and the engine stone cold. First thing in the day or night or when ever, a cold engine.

It is just a dipstick going into oil in the sump.

*Warm checks and checks after an hour in different ambient temps etc, a slight slope of the ground etc can always show a tiny difference on the dipstick.*

Then check when the engine / oil is at operating temperature, so that will be after at least 10 miles,

'AS Owners Manual Sometimes Says, But Skoda will say 'Warm' & VW 'Operating Temperature'

then dip and check after about 4 minutes.  'Skoda says A FEW MINUTES'.

Compare a COLD DIP & a at OPERATING TEMPERATURE DIP..

Repeat another day.  Nothing complicated.

If the oil level rises after a period of time and you are not adding oil, then diesel is adding to the Oil, then you know you have an issue.

Edited by Awayoffski

• 2 weeks later...

OK, so I've returned from hols (boooo) and checked the oil level at the (very flat) long term car park. Still over the level. I then drove about 70 miles home and have checked again. It has not increased at all and furthermore the car ran very smoothly. Today I will change my oil and check from here. Even though the dealership said they didn't top-up, I'm beginning to think they did.