Conversion to deep boot

enndo

HI All,

I've recently bought one of the last Yetis available, an SE Drive 1.2 .  We're happy with our 2nd Yeti which was a dealer ordered car and so we had no choice of options. Since we'll be doing shorter journeys in this car and the additional boot space will be useful,  we'd like to replace the spare wheel and raised floor with the default, deeper floor base and a sealant compressor kit.

Has anyone carried out this conversion or know if it's possible?

Thanks in advance!

Done it-easy peasy-        I just asked the dealer and they supplied the car with the full depth boot and the spare wheel and tools loose and gave me the compressor and gunk it was done a week after collection and while I waited.

Thanks JCP. Meanwhile I received a reply from Skoda UK Parts Support Team who advised me that it's not possible to revert back to a flat floor as it's a factory build.  I'll make some enquiries with a local dealer.

It can be done but the parts are not available as a 'kit'.

Separately they might be! these are the details off my old ones.  

You only need the foam insert that makes the boot floor flat Part ref; 5L6.863.957.C 

and a piece of carpet part ref;5L6.863.463.C

You can get a compressor and can of slonk anywhere.   

Note that removing the spare wheel reduces the strength and rigidity of the rear in the event of a rear-end impact - this may not concern you if just loading goods but if you have a pet on board you may wish to reconsider.

Our dog would have likely died in an accident we had back in 2015 had it not been for the spare wheel which braced much of the impact and prevented the tailgate space crumpling.

1 hour ago, enndo said:

Thanks JCP. Meanwhile I received a reply from Skoda UK Parts Support Team who advised me that it's not possible to revert back to a flat floor as it's a factory build.  I'll make some enquiries with a local dealer.

I think he was answering a different question ie: can i change factory installation retrospectively answer no. real question can the spare be removed and lower floor fitted answer yes. The salesman gave me a coffee while one of the service techs did the job in minutes

22 minutes ago, 137699 said:

Note that removing the spare wheel reduces the strength and rigidity of the rear in the event of a rear-end impact - this may not concern you if just loading goods but if you have a pet on board you may wish to reconsider.

Our dog would have likely died in an accident we had back in 2015 had it not been for the spare wheel which braced much of the impact and prevented the tailgate space crumpling.

There are NO extra strengthening elements in the boot if the spare wheel isn't included, and I think you will find that the crumple zone area is actually more towards the rear of the boot area.

To the OP, I think I still have the plastic elements originally fitted in my old 4x4 in the loft somewhere. No pump or jelly though.

1 hour ago, Llanigraham said:

There are NO extra strengthening elements in the boot if the spare wheel isn't included, and I think you will find that the crumple zone area is actually more towards the rear of the boot area.

Well, there is the wheel and tyre, which will offer quite a decent chunk of survival space as it will not crumple under the crushing load from behind.  If Rover is sat atop the wheel (which is likely in the boot) then they have a wheel-and-tyre's width of safety zone.  I think that it probably what is being implied.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Llanigraham said:

When we were the filling in a 3 car sandwich, the spare wheel had become wedged in the boot. The bodyshop who repaired (who I know very well) showed me where the boot floor had started to deform and how the inclusion of a bolted down spare wheel had prevented it from deforming any further.

His comments were that had that wheel not been there the car would probably have been damaged beyond the point of repair, and any pet in the boot would have been in significant danger of being crushed.

The fact that no additional strengthening is added to cars without the spare wheel just goes to prove the value in having had the wheel there.

Also in the 42 months and 63,000 miles we owned the car we used the spare twice - once within a week of us buying the car when a pothole destroyed the NSF tyre, and again when we came back to our Yeti outside a hotel in Bradford where we'd stayed the night to find the NSR completely flat.

Sadly our next car comes with no spare - just the gloop repair stuff.... hoping never to need it!

• Like 1

Thanks to encouragement via this forum I swapped out the spare wheel and all that goes with it from my old pre FL Yeti into my new FL Yeti whose none spare wheel boot contents went into my old car. Everything fit perfectly in both cars. Job was done in minutes on the forecourt of the vendor of the new Yeti with help and encouragement from superb Arnold Clarke salesman. I did undo the screws holding the polystyrene (?) boxes the evening before to save a bit of time.

• 1 month later...

Apologies if I'm bumping the wrong thread here, but it seems it would cover a simple question. I've just bought the spare wheel kit for my 2017 Yeti and am unclear as to how to remove the existing carpet from under the rear seat floorpan trim. Brute force and ignorance seems excessive on a new car, so I'd welcome any solution as to how to do this without damaging anything.

Thanks in advance, Peter

The carpet in mine just pulled out, But I think the carpet is pressed down onto a couple of little spikes that hold it in place.

You just need to put your hand under the carpet and lift it upwards slightly while pulling it out. Certainly don't need any tools or remove any trim.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, HowardBury said:

Apologies if I'm bumping the wrong thread here, but it seems it would cover a simple question. I've just bought the spare wheel kit for my 2017 Yeti and am unclear as to how to remove the existing carpet from under the rear seat floorpan trim. Brute force and ignorance seems excessive on a new car, so I'd welcome any solution as to how to do this without damaging anything.

Thanks in advance, Peter

Take the seats out/lift up

On 21/08/2017 at 15:18, 137699 said:

When we were the filling in a 3 car sandwich, the spare wheel had become wedged in the boot. The bodyshop who repaired (who I know very well) showed me where the boot floor had started to deform and how the inclusion of a bolted down spare wheel had prevented it from deforming any further.

His comments were that had that wheel not been there the car would probably have been damaged beyond the point of repair, and any pet in the boot would have been in significant danger of being crushed.

The fact that no additional strengthening is added to cars without the spare wheel just goes to prove the value in having had the wheel there.

Also in the 42 months and 63,000 miles we owned the car we used the spare twice - once within a week of us buying the car when a pothole destroyed the NSF tyre, and again when we came back to our Yeti outside a hotel in Bradford where we'd stayed the night to find the NSR completely flat.

Sadly our next car comes with no spare - just the gloop repair stuff.... hoping never to need it!

Where the spare goes in a yeti the wheel well is only shallow not full depth so if it had an impact there would be no difference. The rear as the front are designed to go under the car 

46 minutes ago, 137699 said:

It is full depth enough to take the wheel and it's the WHEEL (not the wheel well) that provides the additional strength.

Considering that a Yeti without a spare wheel meets all the rear crash protection measures I fail to understand that point.

I wouldn't have thought it needed Einstein to work out that the addition of a rigid steel or alloy wheel fitted with an inflated pneumatic tyre inside an existing rigid structure (irrespective of whether or not it met particular crash standards) would provide additional strength.

• Thanks 1

The Yeti and indeed ALL road cars meet crash safety standards. Yet if you fit a roll cage you make them stronger still.

As x19 says - it's not a difficult concept to grasp that though it may be "strong" as standard, it will be "stronger" if there's a wheel in the well.

The crash we had would have seen the boot floor deform MORE if the wheel had not been in situ, risking damage the contents of the boot - i.e. our dog. Is that really such a difficult thing to understand?

Edited by 137699

I suggest that the people who think that a spare wheel adds to their crash protection talk to some Body Shops, just like people who think tow bars improve things. 

The problem is these things often "bridge" the areas designed to deform so transmit further damage further into the body shell, resulting in more expense and difficulty in repair.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, RickT said:

The carpet in mine just pulled out, But I think the carpet is pressed down onto a couple of little spikes that hold it in place.

You just need to put your hand under the carpet and lift it upwards slightly while pulling it out. Certainly don't need any tools or remove any trim.

Just a quick update in case it helps anyone else. There are indeed small spikes which hold the boot mat in place, but there are also a couple of poppers which hold the floorpan mat in place over the boot mat. They lever out OK with the required amount of force, and here are a couple of photos in case my explanation isn't clear.

37112918290_435d0260d8_b.jpg20170928_103806-bri by Northsnapper, on Flickr

36699206783_52c9502ca7_b.jpg20170928_103821_resized by Northsnapper, on Flickr

• Thanks 1

I think the only way to decide this 'debate' is that at the next Briskoda meet, the "Spare Wheel Enhances Crash Protection" , and the "Naw It Disnae" groups each nominate one person from their respective viewpoint  who then has their vehicle rear ended for all to see. 

Matter ended. 

Unless you decide 'Best of 3'!