THe Crab

My Fabia 1.4 MPI gas now officially been labelled THE CRAB after the local garage giving up on wheel alignment after fitting a new passenger side hub. I know the car was in an accident in 2011 on that side but they say the body must have been straightened with a bent hub in place.

Now it 'goes too far' when on full left lock and gives a wind-up symptom with a grating noise.

Does this make sense?

Exactly my thoughts. I have only had it about 3 weeks and knew it needed a CV joint and as it turned out a wheel bearing. These were fitted by the garage. But when they gave it me back it drove straight (with hands - off) but steering wheel is at ten-past.

On full left lock it loses it as it were. Think heard one of them mumbling about adjusted that side only track rod as other side was seized.

Reckon they just cannot be bothered with it and are using the past accident damage as an excuse. Surely they could replace the other track rod anyway!!

Please measure the exposed threads on the track rods on both sides to see if they're pretty much equal. You can do this without even jacking it up. Just put the steering on full lock for each side - full left lock to measure OSF and full right lock to measure NSF. If there is a difference the rack is not central and that is no good at all.

imageproxy.php.png

As far as I can tell they seem pretty even but the threads are hardly there anymore-they seem worn/rusted. Thy tyre tread on the inside edge  of the drivers side is worn down. I can envisage adjusting the rods could be difficult with worn threads on the rods,

40 minutes ago, PCshedman said:

I can envisage adjusting the rods could be difficult with worn threads on the rods,

When I did mine I took the track rod ends off, wire brushed the threads on the track rods and lubricated them. They need to be easily adjustable in order to do the job properly otherwise it's just a struggle.

• Like 1

IF some place ( Kwack or HFRAUD COMES TO MIND) suggest heating up up a seized track rod end to loosen /adjust it- FIND another place to replace track rod end. As the heat will make the grease in the joint come out.