Mudflaps

I remember when I had my first Superb new in 2004 the mudflaps were a bit of a waste of time. Compared to the Passat the Superb mudflaps hardly stopped anything from plastering the sides.

When I got my Mk 2 Elegance Estate, I asked for them to be fitted and it seems the same thing again, they are way to short and hardly stop any road debris from splattering the paint.

Why are the Skoda mudflaps so short?

I fitted my own mud flaps on my estate; low down and even extra wide - result - no difference. The aerodynamics at the back of estates seems to pick up the dirt and chuck it all over the back of the car. The sides were possibly a little bit better, but not as much as I expected.

13 minutes ago, S00perb said:

I fitted my own mud flaps on my estate; low down and even extra wide - result - no difference. The aerodynamics at the back of estates seems to pick up the dirt and chuck it all over the back of the car. The sides were possibly a little bit better, but not as much as I expected.

I wondered about what would happen if they were bigger, thanks for answering the question.

Meant to ask, how is your hatch in the rain without the rear wiper?

4 minutes ago, valv1866 said:

Meant to ask, how is your hatch in the rain without the rear wiper?

Not good is it! Lucky I am used to using the side mirrors (went a bit overboard with the window tinting on the estste), so i don't use rear view much. The rain just sticks. On an L&K you would have thought they would have included rear wipers. I may try some rainX on it

1 minute ago, S00perb said:

Not good is it! Lucky I am used to using the side mirrors (went a bit overboard with the window tinting on the estste), so i don't use rear view much. The rain just sticks. On an L&K you would have thought they would have included rear wipers. I may try some rainX on it

I'm sure that would help. I was told that the rear wiper is a no cost option on the Mk3 hatch.

Cant imagine why you wouldn't spec it with one?

I made my own too, and they are really long and pretty ugly. The front ones are half width but also long. They do make a difference, but they won't stop the sides of your car getting dirty, but they do reduce it a little. The road grime that accumulated behind the rear wheels IS significantly reduced. It was this hard grime that I used to have a tough job removing when doing the weekly wash. I've not noticed much of a difference to the dirty rear window. Note, I have moved them 'outward' by 15-20mm after the photos were taken, and they now are in line with the edge of the tyre.

Matt

IMG_4448.JPG

IMG_4455.JPG

Edited by williamshatnerspants
more pics

I just pulled four handfuls of cow mess and mud off each of my rear flaps. They aren't the most effective at road spray etc but I'm happy enough not to have 8 handfuls of cow "skid marks" smeared around the back.

• Like 3

Mud flaps are actually not "mud" flaps. More correct is to say "sand" or "gravel" flaps.

Some decades ago, when chlorides were not widely used, road service used to lay sand onto roads during wintertime. This sand could grind off the paint up tp the bottom of the doors.

Seen and experienced myself.

That`s why in Scandinavia almost all the cars were equipped with flaps and in Italy nobody knew even the meaning of the word.

• Like 2

On 22/08/2017 at 08:12, valv1866 said:

I remember when I had my first Superb new in 2004 the mudflaps were a bit of a waste of time. Compared to the Passat the Superb mudflaps hardly stopped anything from plastering the sides.

When I got my Mk 2 Elegance Estate, I asked for them to be fitted and it seems the same thing again, they are way to short and hardly stop any road debris from splattering the paint.

Why are the Skoda mudflaps so short?

Like many things they are a compromise, too large and they look ugly and cause more drag = increase fuel consumption.

On 22/08/2017 at 10:12, valv1866 said:

I'm sure that would help. I was told that the rear wiper is a no cost option on the Mk3 hatch.

Cant imagine why you wouldn't spec it with one?

Because IMO they ruin the lines of the S3, I chose not to order it and have had the windows coated with a good rain repellant (Gtechniq in my case) and it really helps keep the rear window clean and rain free above 30 mph.

On 24/08/2017 at 09:08, Superb170 said:

I always found them somewhat effective but not great however, aesthetically, they also add a little to the proportions IMO.

+1

One thing that ‘mud flaps’ really do help with is cutting down the spray when it is raining.

• Like 2