G13 Coolant - right?

Just noticed the coolant level is below min, would rather not top up with water as I have a Winter to get through before the next service.  Can someone please confirm I need G13 coolant; I don't have my manual to hand.

Thanks in advance 

EDIT:  Was going to buy this:

http://www.eurocarparts.com/ecp/p/car-accessories/engine-oils-and-car-fluids/antifreeze-and-screenwash/red-antifreeze/?523770522&&cc5_866

Edited by penguin17

The coolant spec should be printed on the coolant expansion tank.  Assuming it is G13 then did you see there is 1 lire concentrate for +30p http://www.eurocarparts.com/ecp/p/car-accessories/engine-oils-and-car-fluids/antifreeze-and-screenwash/red-antifreeze/?523770492&0&cc5_866 .  Is pre-mix sold due to hard water or convenience?

Thanks both.  Well VAG now use G13 across the board so I popped in to my local VW dealer and picked some up from the parts desk for £12.  Topped up 60:40 (W:C) using the filtered water from our Zipp tap at work.  All sorted.  

Used 150ml of coolant from a 1.5ltr bottle and still poured some ready mixed back into a water bottle.  I dare say this will end up in my garage for a very long time but at least the ready mixed stuff can sit in my boot, just in case. 

1 hour ago, Wino said:

Keep an eye on the level.  The first thing you really should think if it's below minimum is "where did that go?".

Indeed.  I'm hoping this was either not filled enough during dealers PDI or perhaps there was an air lock that's worked it's way out the system and the level subsequently dropped. 

• Like 1

I used the pre-mixed Euro Car Parts coolant in the 1st link soon after i got the car but not touched it again. There were some instances of new cars where the level did drop after the 1st 1000 miles. Now done nearly 40,000 miles and the coolant level is stable.

On 8/23/2017 at 19:36, Baverhanne said:

Release pressure before taking a reading of level.

When under pressure it might seem like the level is lower then it actually is.

This. I went over to deal and the guy there smiles and open the tank. Fills back up in under a second. He adds some coolant, over the max level (just a lil bit). LOL I hope nothing breaks now :)))

Just checked the level again (hot engine, turned off), it's under the Min again!  Do I need to vent it every week or what. LOL

Well ... no low coolant warning appeared again (like last time) yet. Last time the warning went away after restarting engine tho.

Anyway, engine bay is very hot. I know it's a big turbo in there but come on, I can fry eggs in there! No temp warning tho.

I am baffled.

• Like 1

Mr Happy smiley miley needs to go book in the car for Mr Trained VW Group technician to diagnose the cause of the coolant loss.

Water pump or hose / clip or what ever.

See where the level is once the engine and coolant are stone cold, then you will know just where the level is compared to previous stone cold checks.

Edited by Awayoffski

So Mr happy smiley miley got the car in the service. They haven't found the cause of the leak but they overfilled it again so it's right under max when pressurized.

Also, it turns out the tank has an overflow valve that releases some of the surplus (I'll take a picture later). So what's going on - manual say don't overfill, but technicians overfill it, and the tank also has that release valve. wtf

No need for the picture, they all have a pressurised system and need an overflow as well as a pressure release, to let out steam or coolant, and if people overfill the system self levels, 

just like they self bleed.  Systems have not changed much over the years, the basics are always the same and not rocket science.

But then they should not lose coolant.

Edited by Headinawayoffski

I got a 'coolant level low' warning when I switched on this morning. It was just below minimum, so I drove 5 miles to my customer's site. 

Popped into Skoda dealer on the way home to ask about coolant. The guy there said just top up with water rather than spend £14 on coolant, as service due in about 4 weeks. 

I said I was surprised that it needed topping up after just 8 months/16k miles. His reply was that these engines drink coolant...and oil, and that he was surprised that I hadn't had to top the oil up yet.

On 9/6/2017 at 01:16, Wino said:

Check first thing in the morning - before starting the engine - whether there's any pressure in the expansion tank (by opening the cap and listening).

And if there's pressure? What does it mean?

Daveo138,  what exactly was the guy at the dealerships job & qualifications, was it Secretarial Studies or Sales.

No harm is the lazy tight useless barsteward getting a bottle of the employers G13 and topping up a little, or getting a tech out from the back with a bottle.

17 minutes ago, ionelmc said:

But it's expected that the cooling system is pressurized. People have been saying here it's by design.

What are you suggesting?

When it's up to temperature, it should be pressurised, when cold, it shouldn't. I'm suggesting that something (e.g. combustion gases, or pressurised intake air charge) may be leaking into your cooling system when the engine is running, and conversely, coolant may be leaking out the same way at times.

It is cold in 3 or 4 hours is it not in the UK even on the hottest day of the year.

Just leave the cap on, leave well alone.

If you are losing coolant you know you are, stop topping up, opening the filler bottle, trying for pressure, smelling it etc etc, 

just get it sorted by a trained Technician if faulty.

Service Desk Personnel are seldom Mechanics or Technicians or even have knowledge on cars, Why they are employed on the Service Desk and then sacked when they get a bit too much knowledge, or wise the 'The Motor Dealerships ways', & start helping customers as they should.

Edited by Headinawayoffski