Fixing the fuel line rattle in 5 mins for £1

Great work and thanks for sharing!

It's a common issue the fuel line rattle around that RPM. Was driving me insane until I asked the dealer to have a look at it whilst it was in for a service. It's still faintly noticeable though sometimes so might give it a DIY go to see if I can eliminate 100%

2 minutes ago, ahenners said:

Great work and thanks for sharing!

It's a common issue the fuel line rattle around that RPM. Was driving me insane until I asked the dealer to have a look at it whilst it was in for a service. It's still faintly noticeable though sometimes so might give it a DIY go to see if I can eliminate 100%

This is genuinely 100% silent ... Or at least for the moment!

Took it out on a good drive and kept the revs in the range where it used to happen, and nothing ... It's beautiful.

My local dealer had a look at it during the week (or claims to have done) but actually did bugger all, hence taking it into my own hands.

2 minutes ago, Auric Goldfinger said:

Are you still getting the grating sound whilst turning ?

Ah, sorry, I was supposed to give you my number wasn't I?

I think it was me being paranoid - I heard a noise once while I was parking, but I've tried to reproduce it and can't. Could've just been a different noise than I'm used to due to the car park surface or something.

I mentioned it to the dealer during the week who couldnt find anything (surprisingly) so at least it's noted down.

So you just squeezed one pad between the plastic bracket and the car floor is that right?   We test-drove a 1.4 with a friend who is interested in buying it yesterday and all was fine but a vibration/oscillation at 4500rpm which seems like a fuel line rattle although i have never read about one that is showing up that high in the rev range so not 100% sure it's the same thing. Comes from the driver's side (left for EU cars).

23 hours ago, newbie69 said:

So you just squeezed one pad between the plastic bracket and the car floor is that right?   We test-drove a 1.4 with a friend who is interested in buying it yesterday and all was fine but a vibration/oscillation at 4500rpm which seems like a fuel line rattle although i have never read about one that is showing up that high in the rev range so not 100% sure it's the same thing. Comes from the driver's side (left for EU cars).

Yep, that's all I did. Still perfect 3-4 days in!

• 3 months later...
  • 3 years later...

Just want to say a big thank you for posting this. I haven't got a clue how you discovered it as I was convinced that the source of the problem was at the front of the car, but the rattle when in sports mode was driving me nuts. Well worth £1 & 10 mins of my time!

Cheers  👍

My identical slight rattle did not appear with revs, but when going over uneven roads. So I have just bought the same round pads from Wilko and put them underneath the car on top of the fuel line bracket. Maybe, just maybe, with a bit of luck, my slight rattle that appears to originate from the rear of the drivers door or B pillar will also now have gone. 

• 1 month later...
On 04/09/2021 at 13:28, roaddetective said:

My identical slight rattle did not appear with revs, but when going over uneven roads. So I have just bought the same round pads from Wilko and put them underneath the car on top of the fuel line bracket. Maybe, just maybe, with a bit of luck, my slight rattle that appears to originate from the rear of the drivers door or B pillar will also now have gone. 

I was so hoping this was also the cause of my slight rattle, but after wedging one of these pads in the same place, slight rattle still there, darn. Have to now look elsewhere. 

6 hours ago, roaddetective said:

I was so hoping this was also the cause of my slight rattle, but after wedging one of these pads in the same place, slight rattle still there, darn. Have to now look elsewhere. 

Where did you place the pads?  Struggling to understand where, though I did find this, which looks like the official fix albeit for a VW

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2014/SB-10069579-2280.pdf

Did you put the pad inside the circle in the attached photo?

Screenshot 2021-10-13 at 00-36-42 SB-10069579-2280 pdf.png

Edited by Danoid

14 hours ago, Danoid said:

Where did you place the pads?  Struggling to understand where, though I did find this, which looks like the official fix albeit for a VW

Where the 2 fuel pipes come out of the black bracket, I fitted the pad between that black bracket and the floor above of the car. When I felt this bracket there was a bit of movement up and down. So I was hoping this was actually the cause of my slight rattle. No such luck in my case. The original post by stu83 with the photo is accurate.

• 2 months later...
On 13/10/2021 at 00:33, Danoid said:

Did this black plastic fuel pipe holder bracket just pull down or is there a method to unclipping it - I didnt want to break it

18 minutes ago, Woodside99 said:

Did this black plastic fuel pipe holder bracket just pull down or is there a method to unclipping it - I didnt want to break it

I just pushed the foam pad between the bracket and floor with the end of a screwdriver without taking the bracket down. Shame in my case that was not the cause of my slight rattle. Still have not found the cause even now. 

3 minutes ago, roaddetective said:

I just pushed the foam pad between the bracket and floor with the end of a screwdriver without taking the bracket down. Shame in my case that was not the cause of my slight rattle. Still have not found the cause even now. 

Cheers - Yes I have just pushed some foam in the same - but it doesnt seem to be the problem - I am wondering if the fuel lines are vibrating further in the floor openings - and so maybe the VW fix with isolator pads are the answer.

Thanks for this, brought my 2018 estate in November that rattle/whine has been ****ing me off since delivery,

fwiw to anyone else i wedged a sticky fabic square like in the OP above and inbetween the 2 pipes which solved my issue

• 2 years later...

Hey. Just wanted to thank you.

Lately I've been noticing that rattling/vibration sound at 2K rpm in the right door area of my 2015 vRS, but couldnt pinpoint where it was coming from, until i found your post.

I just unscrewed the outer endge nuts od the plastic bottom so i could "bend" it down and reach the frame where the fule lines are and stuffed the frame with four dishwashing sponges through the cutouts on the frame.

That solved the "car is falling apart" sound and made me happy ☺️

• Like 2