Yeti Predator- The sequel.......

Spridgetman

Well after my last post, I'm sorry to advise that it's happened again. Yeti parked as normal, and continuing to apparently melt before my very eyes. Actually not quite true as I haven't seen it melting. Last time it was the o/s rear door trim. This time the n/s front screen plllar and door mirror. Any more ideas please? Thanks, John.

IMG_6406.JPG

IMG_6407.JPG

IMG_6408.JPG

Was it parked the other way around this time or is a vandal having a go at it with a lighter or something ?

Edited by YetiVRS
Spelling

It looks like it is parked next to a Motor camper van? If that has been the case when you had the problem before, has that camper van always been on the same side as the damage to your car? - are there any concave shiny surfaces/objects on it? I'm convinced it is sunlight being focused onto your car....

Jim

Sadly, it's most likely going to be a vandal.  Could you setup a camera to record the area around the car?

That said, we once left a cosmetic mirror on a window sill.  We didn't notice at the time but a few days later, we closed the curtains and realised that it had burned a large hole!

I think if it was done with a lighter the damage would be more vertical but the 3 marks are in the same direction and on an angle. I have doubts if it is caused by some 'feral bacterial no mark' even with a magnifying glass.   

Its deffo not the sun reflecting from the door mirror. if it is the sun it must be at an intense focal point from somewhere else.

Do you have any patterned window panes near by?

Hi guys, thanks for your input. Yeti was parked the other way round, alongside the motorhome. The damage is to the side furthest from the motorhome (as last time). Therefore you could say the damage occurs in the same area. It really does looked burned by a heat source, but the rubber parts are completely untouched. Could a laser do this? Whilst I had not considered vandalism, maybe need to reappraise my thoughts.....

Its not from a common laser like you can get from a Chinese store as they don't project enough heat. 

those marks start from a sharp edge but the one on the pillar trim is across a curved surface is less severe. This makes me think it is the sun reflection from something and moving across. The theory that it is easier to ignite paper from the edge than it is in the middle.

I may seem off on a tangent here but just trying to eliminate some possibilities.  

Yeti is usually parked as per these two pics. More often than not, with the tailgate facing the wall. Any further ideas. I don't believe it is vandalism. 

IMG_6411.JPG

IMG_6412.JPG

Are your mirrors optically perfect, the reason I ask is many years ago my father had a small fire in a new Austin 1800, it ignited the cork grip on his salmon fly fishing rod in the middle of the car. It was unexplained, about a month later he was resting his hand on the handbrake whilst parked and he felt pain, his nsf window had a tiny flaw which acted like a magnifying glass concentrating the heat of the  sun, hence the rod setting smouldering. BLMC replaced the glass, no more problems.

Are you  certain that the damage was caused on the opposite side to the motorhome? If so I reckon you would need to look for something reflective around the area at the rear of the trailor.

If the damage was caused to the side of the car nearest to the motorhome I can see that an Ideal candidate for this would be the rearward squarish window on the motorhome - is it slightly concaved?

Jim

modified1.jpg

23 hours ago, Spridgetman said:

Could a laser do this?

22 hours ago, RickT said:

Its not from a common laser like you can get from a Chinese store as they don't project enough heat.

There are somewhich are widely available that are more than capable of generating that much heat!

IMHO A laser device of the type available to the  public generate a beam of no more than about 1 mm in diameter so would easily burst a balloon - like a pin will. (Incidently a laser diode as used in a PC's CD Writer will easily burst a balloon if it is first marked with a black marker pen (to absorb the light) - I've done it. Look at this youtube clip to show how fine the beam is and how long it would take (even at close range) to make larger burn marks. At a longer range you would need a very steady hand in order for the beam to have any effect.

The marks on your car look like they're about 8mm diameter?  

Is there a street lamp nearby? I'm wondering if the lens could have focussed the sun.

Having had a conservatory floor buckle in the heat recently I can confirm that it has been a little toasty

Edited by Gyp
Spellung

I missed the youtube link  in my last post. Here it is - it shows how thin a laser beam is; 

References on the web show that it is very difficult to actually cause heat damage to anything more than a few inches away unless the laser is mounted on a tripod, and even then will take several seconds start to burn something (and the damage  would only be about 1mm diameter!)

Jim, you are correct- they are about 8mm wide. Thanks for the utube video link by the way.

smokeyjoe - no other buildings anywhere near I'm afraid.

If you have time, it might be worth on a sunny day holding a large piece of paper up near to your car and moving it around to see if there is any form of image of the sun being reflected - I would strongly suspect the motorhome as your most likely candidate - especially that squarish window....

Jim.