Kodiaq vRS in development

octyal

1 hour ago, ZacDaMan72 said:

/skoda-kodiaq-rs-bi-turbo-diesel-flagship-all-but-confirmed/

The clue is in the URL... "all but confirmed". And that article is from 2016, with lots of "ifs".

Again, not saying it isn't coming, but I don't believe anything has been confirmed by anyone - no matter what your local dealers are claiming.

3 minutes ago, newbie69 said:

I definitely expected a petrol engine to go with the Kodiaq vRS

I think your expectations need adjusting then... you only need to look back at the large sporty SUVs produced by VAG so far to realise that everything points to a diesel version only. I'm thinking about the SQ5 and SQ7, and the stupid but equally awesome V12 Q7 from a few year ago.

Yes, there is a petrol RSQ3 - but that's a much smaller car.

5 minutes ago, WiggosSideburns said:

The clue is in the URL... "all but confirmed". And that article is from 2016, with lots of "ifs".

Again, not saying it isn't coming, but I don't believe anything has been confirmed by anyone - no matter what your local dealers are claiming.

Yeah, fair point. Details are sparse, so just gotta be hopeful. https://www.carscoops.com/2017/09/skoda-kodiaq-rs-reportedly-on-track-for/

"After going back and forth on the development of a Kodiaq vRS, Skoda’s officials have apparently decided to build it." - pretty much what every publication has said. At least we know that it's in development. http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/skoda/kodiaq/96896/hot-skoda-kodiaq-to-get-twin-turbo-power-and-240bhp

When asked at the Kodiaq's reveal in Berlin if the Kodiaq could take more power, Struber said, “I have been driving such a car only last week, and it was fantastic. From an engineering perspective, of course we want to give the Kodiaq even more performance, and we’ve been working on this. Now we must wait for the business case.”

When pressed on the nature of the engine, Struber admitted, “It was a diesel.” It is believed that Skoda is preparing to fit the twin-turbodiesel from the VW Passat into the Kodiaq. That four-cylinder motor produces 237bhp in the Volkswagen, so even a straight swap into the Skoda would give a useful hike in performance over the current range-topper.

8 minutes ago, WiggosSideburns said:

I think your expectations need adjusting then... you only need to look back at the large sporty SUVs produced by VAG so far to realise that everything points to a diesel version only. I'm thinking about the SQ5 and SQ7, and the stupid but equally awesome V12 Q7 from a few year ago.

Yes, there is a petrol RSQ3 - but that's a much smaller car.

That may be true for the past, but we know range topping petrol variants are coming to most VAG SUVs of the current line:  Tiguan R and Ateca Cupra have basically been confirmed (I think the Ateca will debut in Geneva motor show? )  so why not expect the same from Skoda?  Recent global evolutions and decisions of automotive makers make it clear diesel is dead already (there, you had me say it :D )   and spending 30K, in 2018 and onwards on such a big oil burner like a BiTDi sounds so much of an anachronism and financial madness, the hit is going to be enormous.

Edited by newbie69

13 minutes ago, newbie69 said:

That may be true for the past

The SQ7 is a new car!

16 minutes ago, newbie69 said:

Tiguan R and Ateca Cupra

I think you need to take a look at the different badges and how they actually match up to each other across the VAG brands.

At the top, you have the Audi RS range. There is nothing equivalent elsewhere in VAG. Then you have Audi S cars, which are similar to VW R and Seat Cupra. Skoda has no really sporty range.

Skoda's vRS is equivalent to VW's GTi, not the R. You only have to look at the Octavia and Golf line ups to know this. So trying to compare a possible Kodiaq vRS with the Tiguan R isn't the right thing to do. And the Ateca is the Karoq equivalent - Seat's Kodiaq is coming this year, I believe.

22 minutes ago, newbie69 said:

and spending 30K, in 2018 and onwards on such a big oil burner like a BiTDi

If you think you will get a Kodiaq vRS for £30k, you really do need to have a lie down - the Sportline is £33k-£37k, so I really do think it will be small change (if any) from £40k.

Can Skoda really sell a car for £40k+? That's another question entirely...

2 minutes ago, WiggosSideburns said:

The SQ7 is a new car!

I think you need to take a look at the different badges and how they actually match up to each other across the VAG brands.

At the top, you have the Audi RS range. There is nothing equivalent elsewhere in VAG. Then you have Audi S cars, which are similar to VW R and Seat Cupra. Skoda has no really sporty range.

Skoda's vRS is equivalent to VW's GTi, not the R. You only have to look at the Octavia and Golf line ups to know this. So trying to compare a possible Kodiaq vRS with the Tiguan R isn't the right thing to do. And the Ateca is the Karoq equivalent - Seat's Kodiaq is coming this year, I believe.

If you think you will get a Kodiaq vRS for £30k, you really do need to have a lie down - the Sportline is £33k-£37k, so I really do think it will be small change (if any) from £40k.

Can Skoda really sell a car for £40k+? That's another question entirely...

Well I'm aware of the different market segments each brand is allowed to compete in and that both Tiguan and the Ateca are a smaller class SUV than the Kodiaq (I wrote that in an earlier reply already).  Still, I don't see why expectations for a stronger petrol version than the 2.0 TSI 190bhp unit already available would be unreasonable. Of-course with the necessary de-tune to not upset the "sportier" cousins of VW and SEAT, say 280bhp.

It's definitely going to be more than 30K, my point was 30K is already madness for diesel technology in today's world.

3 hours ago, ZacDaMan72 said:

£40,000? Will not bloody be buying one if the base costs that. Was hoping for around £38,000 base so I can spec mine out to around £40k before discount.

Like I said, Sportline with the 180TDi is already £37k. A vRS with a more powerful engine will command at least a £2k premium on top of that.

2 hours ago, newbie69 said:

my point was 30K is already madness for diesel technology in today's world.

That’s a bit of an odd statement. Only part of the cost of the car is the engine.

Or are you saying I should be able to get an SQ7 for less than £30k, just because it is a diesel?

4 hours ago, newbie69 said:

...or the 190bhp Petrol Kodiaq that hits 250bhp easily with a simple remap, and quite close to 500Nm or torque. 

Do you know that for a fact?

The 190 Superb is held back by the injectors, so 220 bhp 505Nm is achievable (which is too much in reality for FWD) but that’s your lot. 

34 minutes ago, WiggosSideburns said:

That’s a bit of an odd statement. Only part of the cost of the car is the engine.

Or are you saying I should be able to get an SQ7 for less than £30k, just because it is a diesel?

No I din't mean diesel technology itself is cheap but that manufacturers are clearly taking steps towards phasing them out to a lesser or greater extent and the fact circulation and taxes are becoming harder on them every day in most EU markets means demand is going to drop significantly in the coming years, i think that's rather obvious to most. As a result the impact will be more serious on big, expensive engines/cars like a BiTDI Kodiaq.

28 minutes ago, Gizmo said:

Do you know that for a fact?

The 190 Superb is held back by the injectors, so 220 bhp 505Nm is achievable (which is too much in reality for FWD) but that’s your lot. 

Is it the same 2.0 litre B-cycle EA888 gen3B engine we are talking about here? Don't have such a car but I have seen advertised tunes of around 250bhp. That been said 505Nm doesn't sound on par with 220ps power outputs. The EA888 gen3 (that also has a much bigger turbo) on the R/S3/Cupra makes this torque only after a stage 2 remap, so I can't see how a stage 1 Superb could be putting out anything close to the 500Nm mark. The advertised torque is actually much lower, around the 380-400Nm iirc.

PS. Sorry I thought you were talking petrol engines, your torque values make sense if taking TDI but I was referring to the new 2.0 Budack cycle TSI engines.

Edited by newbie69

9 hours ago, WiggosSideburns said:

Like I said, Sportline with the 180TDi is already £37k. A vRS with a more powerful engine will command at least a £2k premium on top of that.

Well in NZ the 190PS TDI Sportline is around £35k so I'd expect the RS to cost less than £40k

This article is 2016 so is not relevant anymore, personally i thing that in this times doing a diesel again as a top of the range is not a best idea and this defo will not happen. UK police have already Kodiaq TSI 280 4x4 so more likely this will be in vRS models. VW have two more engines that might be in Kodiaq/Suberb vRS - 2.5TFSI(this is my only wish :P) from RS3 and brand new engine 3.0 VR6 with 400bhp. VR6 will be used in Arteon R. All of this its only theory talk and flame war diesel vs petrol here its completely pointless. Lets wait until 8 of march for Geneva motor show maybe then all this speculation will go away and ppl start to thing how to plan the future home budget to save some money for a new toys :)  

15 hours ago, lukas883 said:

This article is 2016 so is not relevant anymore, personally i thing that in this times doing a diesel again as a top of the range is not a best idea and this defo will not happen. UK police have already Kodiaq TSI 280 4x4 so more likely this will be in vRS models. VW have two more engines that might be in Kodiaq/Suberb vRS - 2.5TFSI(this is my only wish :P) from RS3 and brand new engine 3.0 VR6 with 400bhp. VR6 will be used in Arteon R. All of this its only theory talk and flame war diesel vs petrol here its completely pointless. Lets wait until 8 of march for Geneva motor show maybe then all this speculation will go away and ppl start to thing how to plan the future home budget to save some money for a new toys :)  

Between these options I think the 280 2.0 TSI engine of the Superb is by far the most logical/probable choice for a Kodiaq RS, I for one would love to see it in the Kodiaq, been driving it for a year and a half now (with slight tickling) and it's just.. effortless with huge potential for further development. The 3.0 VR6 is just too powerful for any Skoda (and their brand image) at the moment and it being new I'd imagine VW will keep it for itself for a while. The Audi 5-pot is definitely not going anywhere else (even in a VW) than inside an Audi I think that's a given considering  how much of a trademark it is.

Edited by newbie69
  • Thanks 1

The latest reports in late 2017 still point to the BiTDI engine being used, which is surprising. I wouldn't mind the BiTDI as here in NZ there isn't a 'witch-hunt' against diesels, but I would hope that Skoda offers the RS with the 280PS. If they offer the Octavia RS in both flavours, I'd expect they do the same. Won't be nearly as efficient compared to the Superb though.

When is comes to price, a lot will depend on what trim level it comes in.  VW only offer the BiTdi on the top end trim (GT and R on the passat) so you get a hefty price tag.  Will Skoda follow suit and whatever engine it is on the L&K and edition trim only?  Or a vRS badge?  IIRC a vRS Octavia will be be a cheaper proposition than a L&K with a decent engine.  

• 1 month later...