Whistling noise after EGR valve replaced

My 2012 Octavia 1.6 TDI started making a whistling noise after I got the EGR valve replaced. I noticed the noise literally as soon as I got the car back, and it wasn't there before. First the mechanic said that this was normal and they 'never sound the same again anyway'. Now after several months I asked him to look at it again, and now he tells me that he thinks it's the 'turbo' but that 'it does not necessarily mean it on the way out'. Something tells me he's lying and he doesn't want to fix it? It just seems too much of a coincidence that this only started after I got the EGR replaced. Any ideas what could be the problem?

Had this on my Fabia vrs 1.9 and so have a lot of the Fabia's in the Fabia mk1 forum.

Have a search there, if I remember correctly there was absolutely nothing to worry about but only if the the car was whistling while stationary or not in gear driving.

If it goes with a bit of a rev then comes back while on tick over apparently there's nothing to worry about.

Edited by Kris82
Remembered something

My 2005 fabia vrs whistles becuase the egr valve is blanked so permanently 'off'

if you blip the throttle it should cause the valve to open and the whistling may stop or reduce.

certainly nothing to worry about just how the exhaust gases are flowing through. It might be that the new valve is all nice and clean so no carbon deposits to quieten down the egr flow if that makes sense.

• Like 1