Cambelt year?

Hi All

I've a 2010 1.6 TDI Skoda Octavia.

I looked at the really helpful document on the main cambelt/oil filter etc thread and is says the below:

210,000 Km / 130,487 Miles

My car has only done 95,000 miles. But I don't think it's ever been done, so you would recommend changing it now? Does anyone have an idea of what I should be paying too?

Thanks!

David

I have the same engine. As well as the mileage limit there is a time limit as time also degrades the belt. 

The limit is five years from new then every four years.

My Service Schedule says 210,000 miles for the PD engine and 180,000 km for CR, mentioning the CEGA in the list of CR engines.

The time interval and effect of time on belt life I quoted came from posts in this forum and also the Skoda dealer. Four years is the time interval that applied to my previous 1.9 l non PD engine so they may be wrong.

I didn't get chance to check with my Skoda dealer as I had a water pump failure at ~ 58 k miles that resulted in the timing belt being changed because it had been soaked in coolant. Luckily I had a warranty that paid for everything.

180,000 km is around 112,000 miles

Have you phoned your nearest Skoda dealer to ask them?

This was what Henry's Škoda got back from Škoda UK when I queried it as there was so much confusion around from the handbook,  various threads on here and by at least two different Škoda dealers as to when it should be changed. 

Vehicles registered BEFORE September 2010 (regardless if PD or CR) every 4 years. 

Vehicles registered FROM September 2010, every 5 years. 

I cannot remember the mileage limit to either as I didn't/won't be doing  huge mileages so wasn't interested. 

I got my cambelt and waterpump changed in summer 2014, and will be getting it done  summer 2018.

Unfortunately 2018 also ties in with my Haldex oil change and 2year brake fluid change, left alone my annual service and AC service. So a rather expensive year! 

I just checked the Skoda website and there are no prices displayed for cambelt and waterpump, but will be around £450-480 with a 2 year warranty, unless they are about to revise that price, which is why it is off. 

Skoda dealer mentioned to me 5 years for first change then every 4 years but it appears these recommendations change regularly.

Interesting reading in the following thread which suggests that 180,000 km may be a "do not exceed" distance:-

As mentioned the official Skoda UK advice is:

Cars registered before September 2010 - 4 years.

Cars registered after September 2010 - 5 years.

Mileage varies by model, engine and production year so the only way to know for sure is to check the owners manual / service book or contact Skoda UK directly quoting your VIN...

http://www.skoda.co.uk/about-us/contact-us

Skoda do quote pricing for the cambelt and cambelt plus waterpump here (click on the maintenance tab halfway down the page)...

http://www.skoda.co.uk/owners/service-and-maintenance/simply-fixed

• 6 months later...

Really interested in this topic.   I have a 2012 VRS Petrol.  It has done 38k miles in that time so very low mil;eage really.  I have been told by my garage that this servcice will require a cam belt change.  Now the book states every 5 years or 120k miles.  Now I am way off that mileage and the years seems crazy unless you do 20k a year.

What are peoples thoughts?  Stick with the recommendation of every 5 years.  I also have spark plugs to do this year, brake fluid and a few other odds and ends...very expensive year it seems.

I have had my two cambelt/waterpump changes done by independent (VW trained) mechanics, and both times the cost included a full service and was less than £300.

I would also advise that the water pump is changed every time the cambelt is changed.

8 hours ago, Sulley2012 said:

Really interested in this topic.   I have a 2012 VRS Petrol.  It has done 38k miles in that time so very low mil;eage really.  I have been told by my garage that this servcice will require a cam belt change.  Now the book states every 5 years or 120k miles.  Now I am way off that mileage and the years seems crazy unless you do 20k a year.

What are peoples thoughts?  Stick with the recommendation of every 5 years.  I also have spark plugs to do this year, brake fluid and a few other odds and ends...very expensive year it seems.

Well, you can certainly avoid that but in case it snaps then the result DEFINETELY will be expensive. The cambelt change is like an insurance. You spend some amount of money to be sure nothing bad happens...

I changed mine some time ago. Got the Contitech belt. Only after the change the garage guy said that it will last only 60k km. For me it's ~3 years. Talked to another garage guy and he said that for the second (third, ....) belt it's not the 180k km like for the first belt but less - depends on the cambelt. He wasn't very satisfied with Contitech belts and recommened to change it after 50k km (offered to change for a better one that might last 100k km). Asked the Contitech distributor about the kilometers. He said something like that - as dealer says it is. Nothing very clear and definite.

So, right now I'm ~55k km after the cambelt change. I might risk and try to drive one more year or so but it makes me worried so I will better do it for the piece of mind.

• Haha 1

50k km :rofl: he's having a laugh.....Contitech are OE suppliers to VAG. Genuine Contitech parts (which include ATE brakes) are among the very best you can use. 

The 4yr rule came about from the poor design of the PD engines. The camshaft drove the PD injectors as well as the valve gear and the belt was grossly undersized. Bad engineering.

10 hours ago, xman said:

50k km :rofl: he's having a laugh.....Contitech are OE suppliers to VAG. Genuine Contitech parts (which include ATE brakes) are among the very best you can use. 

The 4yr rule came about from the poor design of the PD engines. The camshaft drove the PD injectors as well as the valve gear and the belt was grossly undersized. Bad engineering.

In any other case I would doubt what the guy said but this garage has got a very good reputation and I have no reason not to believe. He said something like that - some of my clients are very satisfied with these cambelts and drive for a long time but some suffer from snapped belts.

I simply don't want to be one of these that aren't that lucky.

On 19/03/2018 at 20:38, xman said:

If they are that bad, then why have they gained a reputation as one of the finest engines the VW group have made, and why are so many still going after many hudreds of thousands of miles?

Vwnewarkshop on ebay are supplying a cambelt kit, water pump and coolant for £142, for my 140pd Scout. The owner of my trusted Merc indie has all the VAG gear and has quoted £110 for fitting.

After talking to a few suppliers apparently VAG have gone back to plastic impellers on the water pumps☹️

On 3/19/2018 at 10:14, Sulley2012 said:

On 3/19/2018 at 21:01, AwaoffSki said:

Sulley2012, does your car have a Cam Belt that needs changing?

A 2012 VRS petrol will surely be a TSi engine rather then the older TFSi engine, so has a timing chain rather then a timing belt; so does not need it changed unless the tensioner is on it's way out.

On 04/09/2017 at 22:24, Fin69 said:

Unless I'm doing something drastically wrong, I cannot see the Cambelt/Waterpump price ;

Screenshot_20170904-222041.png

You don't look to be scrolled down enough...

http://www.skoda.co.uk/finance-and-offers/service-and-maintenance/simply-fixed

Capture.JPG.5963d711625fb4713d6cf87f725f6f45.JPG