Oil from EGR - 1.4 TDI

Xylynx

I've attached an image of the EGR on my car (just realised how dirty the engine cover is:blink:) and as you can see there's a fresh oil leak coming from it. I know oil in the intake is normal but the fact there seems to be enough to find its way out the top the EGR is worrying me. I've checked the oil regularly and there's been no discernible loss.  I've also tested the EGR valve with a vacuum pump and it holds a vacuum and I can hear it opening and closing so it's fine in that respect. The car also runs totally fine and there's been no power loss to speak of.

Is this nothing to worry about and the seals being worn around the EGR valve or is it something more sinister (rings?)

Cheers

IMG_20170911_185803.jpg

the tiny oil seal for the valve spindle has gone (pennies but hard/impossible  to change   not,  the end of the world but messy   it won't let you down suddenly just a pain,  BUT do not try to plug those holes or you will get running problems   

28 minutes ago, cheshire_cat said:

the tiny oil seal for the valve spindle has gone (pennies but hard/impossible  to change   not,  the end of the world but messy   it won't let you down suddenly just a pain,  BUT do not try to plug those holes or you will get running problems   

I wouldn't say it has gone, from my experience they just tend not to be that good. Just think, if the seal was designed to be perfect and tight then the crud stuck to the valve stem would stop it moving up and down so I think they made it this way on purpose so it did pass a little bit of air.

Which wouldn't be a problem if the tandem pump didn't exhaust an oil mist into the valve cover for it to get sucked straight into the inlet through the breather system.

I would bung a rag next to it like I did and forget all about it, its certainly not worth changing it.

Edited by SuperbTWM

Cheers for all the feedback, very helpful as always! The valve was cleaned at about 100K and it was pretty horrific. The car's also been running +200 mbar more boost recently and the leak has got slightly worse which makes sense so I think I'll probably end up fitting  catch can to stop oil getting into the intake in the first place.