Water under passenger footwell

I noticed a bit of dampness under the rubber mat on the passenger side so i took it out and stuck my finger down a the little hatch in the carpet and that grey insulation material is totally saturated.

Ive been jamming paper towel down there as far as I can reach with my fingers and I've gone through half a roll of paper with no signs of the water decreasing.

Anyone experienced this or know what is causing it?

Im thinking maybe rain getting through a bad seal and pooling here or maybe water from the AC not draing away properly. Could even be from condensation if there is something cold down there. The water is fairly clean looking so I dont think its from the road.

Might be time to visit the dealer.

Thanks guys. 

The scuttle trim seemed fine.

It could be what you mention Terry99.

I soaked it up with about four rolls of kitchen paper yesterday.

Currently got a hairdryer jammed down the hatch taking out the rest of the moisture.

The car got a spray with a high pressure hose today and it didn't seem to make it wetter.

I'll keep an eye on it.

Well it stayed dry far about a week and it was parked out in light rain.

A small amount of water has got in again after using a high pressure hose.

I gave the bottom of the windscreen a good spray to get the suds out so I'm guessing a small leak from there or overflow getting in from the engine compartment.

I have this problem too. First thought it was a leak from windscreen, but after 2 weeks without getting wet at all and footwell not soaking wet, I ended up with a puddle inside. I the footwell had become soaking wet after a 600km drive without having had any rain at all. 

Seems likely the AC is the culprit in some way. Car is being serviced this Friday and Skoda will take a look. Report on discoveries will be forthcoming.

E89576DF-C83C-40D2-8FD3-6FAE869177BC.jpeg

Isn't that the rear footwell? That is shockingly bad quality. If it was the AC drain then a recall should have been done to fix the problem but still very poor design. 

25 minutes ago, CWARD said:

Isn't that the rear footwell? That is shockingly bad quality. If it was the AC drain then a recall should have been done to fix the problem but still very poor design. 

Yes, it is. The water soaks the mat and insulation all the way from front to back! Will see on Friday what they say is the problem.

That is a hell of a lot of water, it's like a swimming pool. Hope you get it resolved. You need to ensure it's dried properly otherwise it will rot underneath and start to stink. 

• 2 weeks later...

It's going into the shop next week so I'll pass this info on to them. I feel it could be rain getting in but I could be wrong.

SETech, did they find the cause for you?

That's very disappointing. I must say that I'd be hopping mad if it was mine. Water will always find the lowest point and to have that much on the carpet means it probably sodden right through to the sound proofing. That volume of water is unlikely to be caused by the air con drain pipes. I'd say it's definitely rain water.  I had this myself in an old rover a few years ago. I'd insist on having the interior stripped out and the carpet/sound proofing replaced or hung up and fully dried out. If not, you'll suffer steamed up windows, damp, musty smells and electrical glitches. If you keep it long term, it will rust through too. You'd be amazed how heavy the water make the carpet and the amount of water in it. From experience, it will never dry out with paper towels vacuums or even a dehumidifier. Just out of interest, has the car got a sunroof? 

Edited by Lc6598
  • Like 1

Dealer have checked and say that it is the windshield leaking. Car is currently having the windshield reset, seat has been removed, mat is getting dried and will be sent for recond.

Expect it back in a week so will have to see how it is then. 

@sharkys will ask them to check that too to be sure. Thanks for the tip!

@Lc6598 No sunroof.

I second LC6598's view. My mk2 suffered the same problem. They fitted a new (heated) screen on the basis, I think, that it is cheper to fit a new one than to properly prepare a used screen for refitting. My dealer did strip the interior to get it properly dry, and replaced the heated seat controllers which had stopped working. I had no mould/smells in the subsequent 4 years of ownership.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there,

I am new to Skoda, and this first experience is not exactly perfect.

I bought my Superb Combi MkIII L&K in july. It was brand new, and has now a little more than 8.000 kms on the odo.

Last sunday, as I was cleaning the car (I know, how original), I took the floor mats out. The rear passenger mat was dripping wet...

It was not as bad as SEtech's car, but you could hear the squishing sound of a soaked sponge when pressing down on the carpet.

I did not relate it straight away but my bluetooth connection started to become irregular a couple of weeks ago. Could it be related? I dunno...

On monday, the dealer checked the sunroof drains, and they both seem to run perfectly. They had no time to take it so the the car is going back there next Tuesday.

In the meantime, it did rain and that didn't seem to worsen the situation.

Conversely, as I have already encountered a similar problem with a Nissan Pathfinder, I stopped using the A/C. And that did seem to work; the carpets are now noticeably drier.

I also switched back on the A/C, with full fan and maximum cold, in my garage, for 10 minutes. Not a single drop of water on the floor.

So maybe, it is a clogged A/C drain. But that does sound weird for a 3-month old car.

The dealer plans to keep it at least 3 days.

I will keep you updated.

A quick update - dealer got the car back from the company setting the windshield and it was still leaking. They ended up sending it back twice more because of it still leaking! Now it is apparently all good and tested and I’ll get it back with mats and insulation replaced on Tuesday...

Hope you get yours fixed @JFCarter

Thanks @SETech ! Quick update on my case: I finally dropped the car today as the garage was too busy to take my car on tuesday. It did not bother me that much as I work a couple of kilometers away from the garage. They looked at it, and called me in the afternoon: the culprit is a badly installed A/C drain. Apparently, the pipe was twisted in the factory and got clogged rapidly. They ordered a new piece and I should get my car  back tomorrow. They do not plan to dry the carpets and soundproofing as it would mean a complete removal. They think moisture will slowly evaporate. They will only provide me with an antibacterial spray, to prevent bad smells during the evaporation process. Kinda odd.

EDIT: the A/C drain on my car looks exactly like the one pictured above, but I don't know yet which part was twisted. I will try to know more about that tomorrow and will report.

Edited by JFCarter

• 6 months later...
On 17/09/2017 at 09:38, CWARD said:

Make sure the scuttle trim under the wipers is correctly clipped in as that will allow water into the cabin

I'm having this problem at the moment. I noticed it was wet and after washing the car I'm sure it's even wetter. What exactly is the scuttle trim and how do I get to it?

It’s the plastic trim under the windscreen wipers. It just clips into place all round. If you get dirt in between the clip areas it can stop sealing. 

10 minutes ago, CWARD said:

It’s the plastic trim under the windscreen wipers. It just clips into place all round. If you get dirt in between the clip areas it can stop sealing. 

Thanks for the speedy reply. The clips look OK so I suspect the windscreen :sadsmile:

4 minutes ago, Auswede said:

Don't rule out the air con either. It might have built up over a while and you just happened to find it now.

Is it easy to access to check?

How disappointing to find that this topic has again come up on the Mk 111. I ran 2 x S.1s over a 10 year period and was fanatical about knocking out drain plugs and checking pollen filter seals to stop water getting in and ruining the electrics.

Now I suppose I have to start checking footwells again - but at least I haven't got a sun roof on the mk 111...................