Finally Got my Superb! A few niggles though...

Hi Guys!  So on Thursday I finally picked up my Superb, and have been getting used to it over the past couple of days.   It's a major improvement in refinement over my old car, it's quiter, smoother, faster and more spacious, but I have a few niggles I wanted to share and see if you've had the same.   Done approx 200 miles so far on a mixture of A roads, B roads and Motorway.

Rattles

Noticed a few rattles, only on rougher road surface or bumps, but annoying enough when on the motorway.  On perfectly smooth nice quiet motorway there's nothing at all.

There seems to be one from the sunglasses holder area somewhere, but pressing on various parts hasn't seemed to help, although I did set off the breakdown button by mistake (oops).

Another is between the front passenger door and the dash, it seems to be rubbing there, when my partner pulled on the door grip handle it seemed to go away until she let go again.

Finally (I hope) one around the seatbelt vertical adjustment thingy on the passenger B pillar.

Damage :(

Noticed yesterday that there's actually a couple of scratches on the inside of the windscreen!  (Can be felt by touch).  All around one area towards the centre, can only assume it happened in the factory.   Not enough to obscure the view at all, but didn't quite expect that.  I didn't notice this when picking the car up - to be honest, the windscreen wasn't perfectly clean when I got it so I thought it just needed a wash.

New Fancy Infotainment

The new fancy infotainment screen... the display is lovely, but I REALLY wish they'd stuck with the old tactile buttons.  It's clearly made for LHD cars as well, as I have to lean over slightly to reach the home/menu buttons, having to take my eyes off the road.   Also no quick access buttons to take me straight to Nav, Radio or Media like my old Toledo.   I could operate that car all by touch.   This one I have to look at the screen and go through menus.  I'm sure I'll get used to it, but I don't think it's a step in the right direction if I'm honest.

Finally, I think, Throttle Lag

I definitely want to get that Audi throttle response sorted, as there's been a few times where I've wanted the car to shift and it's taken a full second or two to react when pulling out of junctions etc, just crazy.

It's not all bad!  I probably sound like a right winge here, but these are issues I didn't honestly expect going to a car that's costing me £450 per month.    It is definitely a beautiful and luxurious car, and I'm so pleased with it otherwise.   The infotainment niggles are just tough luck I think, but what do you guys think about the rest?   I don't really know what I expect the dealer to do about the windscreen...   They have been very good so far, so perhaps they can help me out with the rattles at least?

Edited by chrisoverson

Regarding the lag, this is mainly due to characteristics of the DSG gearbox. I have done the Audi throttle pedal mod for 2 forum members now and I think it has helped a little bit but unless you use sport mode or get the DSG box remapped it will always be like that

I don't have a sunglasses holder, but I had a rattle from that area after travelling over a very bumpy farm track. As you say, no noise at all on smooth roads and even on bumpy roads it seems to have disappeared.

I have the old push button infotainment, but I empathise with your complaint.

Throttle lag. Do you have auto? Disable stop/start and snick the lever back to Sport for tricky situations, or get a PedalBox like I did. (Loads of threads, if you search.)

My only niggle for when I take my Sportline in for its first service is the cover over the subwoofer in the boot keeps falling off. Gaffers tape shouldn't be necessary on a £34K car.

Otherwise, the car is the best I've had, and the PedalBox sorts out the common throttle lag problem.

25 minutes ago, SuperbTWM said:

Regarding the lag, this is mainly due to characteristics of the DSG gearbox. I have done the Audi throttle pedal mod for 2 forum members now and I think it has helped a little bit but unless you use sport mode or get the DSG box remapped it will always be like that

Thanks :).   I might still try the Audi mod and see how it goes, although I never considered that you could even get the DSG box itself remapped lol.   I have started to use sport mode when I need it to respond, but it seems like it shouldn't be necessary just for normal driving.   I'm not an aggressive driver at all :P.

24 minutes ago, freelunch said:

I don't have a sunglasses holder, but I had a rattle from that area after travelling over a very bumpy farm track. As you say, no noise at all on smooth roads and even on bumpy roads it seems to have disappeared.

I have the old push button infotainment, but I empathise with your complaint.

Throttle lag. Do you have auto? Disable stop/start and snick the lever back to Sport for tricky situations, or get a PedalBox like I did. (Loads of threads, if you search.)

My only niggle for when I take my Sportline in for its first service is the cover over the subwoofer in the boot keeps falling off. Gaffers tape shouldn't be necessary on a £34K car.

Otherwise, the car is the best I've had, and the PedalBox sorts out the common throttle lag problem.

It is the auto yes.   Stop start hasn't been a major issue so far, but as above I've found using the quick nudge back into sports mode has helped (really love that feature).   I might well consider a PedalBox if the Audi mod doesn't help.   Mind if I ask which one you've used?   Also is there any issue with regards to warranty?  I assume you just take it out prior to servicing?

You're absolutely right though, gaffer tape should not be required when you spend £34k!   Mine *only* cost £29.5k, but still didn't expect a scratch inside the screen, how on earth did that happen?!   Can't blame the dealer for that, other than maybe that it could have been noticed, but I imagine someone was having a lazy friday or hungover monday in the factory ;P

I bought the PedalBox+ from DTUK online. Other posters have mentioned leaving a throttle tuning device plugged in and the dealer not mentioning it. I'm choosing the ostrich approach, myself. I use it on the milder settings. I'm over my boy racer phase. It's one of those things you don't really need, but are glad you have. Like a beer.

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, EoinM said:

I thought I'd scratches on the inside of my screen and it turned out to be glue. Hard glue, and about where you said it was. Worth trying part of it with your finger nail. 

Ah good shout, I will give this a go before I give the dealer some grief!   I'd look a right prune else hehe.

3 hours ago, freelunch said:

I bought the PedalBox+ from DTUK online. Other posters have mentioned leaving a throttle tuning device plugged in and the dealer not mentioning it. I'm choosing the ostrich approach, myself. I use it on the milder settings. I'm over my boy racer phase. It's one of those things you don't really need, but are glad you have. Like a beer.

Thanks freelunch :).   I've spent enough pennies for now (just checked those prices) but will certainly bear it in mind if I don't get no satisfaction from the Audi tweak.

Also... just been out in the car again, and I must say I'm loving it more every time I drive it.   Especially at night with everything lighting up, puts a real smile on my face :).   Almost feel guilty for complaining, but I must sort them rattles!

When I clean the inside of my windscreen a circle shows up. It looks like the sucker that holds the windscreen when they put it in, although what it's doing on the inside beats me. I thought it would be on the outside. Maybe you've got some residue from the fixing on the screen.

Although the pedal box sharpens up the response I find that it still hesitates when pulling away. I reckon it's the dsg sorting itself out

9 hours ago, facet edge said:

When I clean the inside of my windscreen a circle shows up. It looks like the sucker that holds the windscreen when they put it in, although what it's doing on the inside beats me. I thought it would be on the outside. Maybe you've got some residue from the fixing on the screen.

Although the pedal box sharpens up the response I find that it still hesitates when pulling away. I reckon it's the dsg sorting itself out

Thanks, I'll have a good clean of the window later (got some Gteqnic stuff to put on anyway for rain repelling) and see how it goes :).

I might just have to get used to a bit of lag then... I've never owned an auto before so used to how a manual performs.   Might go with the tipping it into manual idea for when quick pull away is required.

I haven't been able to get the Audi mod done yet. I content myself with selecting 'sport' when I think I will need to be a bit quicker or to have a bit of extra urge. It certainly seems to help the car pick up its skirts and run.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, chrisoverson said:

Thanks, I'll have a good clean of the window later (got some Gteqnic stuff to put on anyway for rain repelling) and see how it goes :).

I might just have to get used to a bit of lag then... I've never owned an auto before so used to how a manual performs.   Might go with the tipping it into manual idea for when quick pull away is required.

The odd thing is it won't lag every time, just every now and then. It's as though the box is not expecting you to accelerate and is holding the next higher gear so when you do accelerate it has to discard the higher gear and engage a lower one instead.

If this is what happens I'm amazed that it does it so quickly, although it does seem to be a long time when you are wanting to accelerate!  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, facet edge said:

The odd thing is it won't lag every time, just every now and then. It's as though the box is not expecting you to accelerate and is holding the next higher gear so when you do accelerate it has to discard the higher gear and engage a lower one instead.

If this is what happens I'm amazed that it does it so quickly, although it does seem to be a long time when you are wanting to accelerate!  

The key is to drive it like a manual. With a manual gearbox you give it a bit of throttle and bring the clutch to biting point before you pull away. In the same way, the DSG works best with some gentle throttle a second or so before you want to move off. 

• Like 2

Thanks guys, I think over the last day or two I've got a bit more used to driving it and as you say, if you give it a nudge in advance of when you want it to move, it seems to get the picture.    It's so relaxing to drive once you get it right it's unreal compared to my previous motors :D

I don't really notice any throttle lag - perhaps it's having driven automatic cars for a long time now .  The 6 speed DSG in my SE-L 220 is one of the smoothest and responsive autos I've driven and that includes a couple of 8 speed Beemers previously.  Do the previously mentioned issues with throttle lag relate to all engine derivatives ?

Edited by Boxerdog1

On 9/17/2017 at 15:54, chrisoverson said:

Hi Guys!  So on Thursday I finally picked up my Superb, and have been getting used to it over the past couple of days.   It's a major improvement in refinement over my old car, it's quiter, smoother, faster and more spacious, but I have a few niggles I wanted to share and see if you've had the same.   Done approx 200 miles so far on a mixture of A roads, B roads and Motorway.

Rattles

Noticed a few rattles, only on rougher road surface or bumps, but annoying enough when on the motorway.  On perfectly smooth nice quiet motorway there's nothing at all.

There seems to be one from the sunglasses holder area somewhere, but pressing on various parts hasn't seemed to help, although I did set off the breakdown button by mistake (oops).

Another is between the front passenger door and the dash, it seems to be rubbing there, when my partner pulled on the door grip handle it seemed to go away until she let go again.

Finally (I hope) one around the seatbelt vertical adjustment thingy on the passenger B pillar.

Damage :(

Noticed yesterday that there's actually a couple of scratches on the inside of the windscreen!  (Can be felt by touch).  All around one area towards the centre, can only assume it happened in the factory.   Not enough to obscure the view at all, but didn't quite expect that.  I didn't notice this when picking the car up - to be honest, the windscreen wasn't perfectly clean when I got it so I thought it just needed a wash.

New Fancy Infotainment

The new fancy infotainment screen... the display is lovely, but I REALLY wish they'd stuck with the old tactile buttons.  It's clearly made for LHD cars as well, as I have to lean over slightly to reach the home/menu buttons, having to take my eyes off the road.   Also no quick access buttons to take me straight to Nav, Radio or Media like my old Toledo.   I could operate that car all by touch.   This one I have to look at the screen and go through menus.  I'm sure I'll get used to it, but I don't think it's a step in the right direction if I'm honest.

Finally, I think, Throttle Lag

I definitely want to get that Audi throttle response sorted, as there's been a few times where I've wanted the car to shift and it's taken a full second or two to react when pulling out of junctions etc, just crazy.

It's not all bad!  I probably sound like a right winge here, but these are issues I didn't honestly expect going to a car that's costing me £450 per month.    It is definitely a beautiful and luxurious car, and I'm so pleased with it otherwise.   The infotainment niggles are just tough luck I think, but what do you guys think about the rest?   I don't really know what I expect the dealer to do about the windscreen...   They have been very good so far, so perhaps they can help me out with the rattles at least?

I had the Audi throttle mod done on mine (280 Hatch) at the National Meeting at RAF Cosford by Gizmo and have to say that for me it has changed the feel enough for me not to warrant the purchase of a throttle response box, that may change as i get more used to it as time goes on; however for the moment it feels fine. 

• Thanks 1

I might give OBDEleven a try when it arrives ;).   See what I can do with that.

Thanks for the feedback on this guys. 

One new issue:  I'm leaving the driving mode in "Individual", which has drive and ACC set to Eco.   When I get back in the car, the maxidot display shows D(gear) instead of E.   If I push the drive mode select button, it already shows Individual is highlighted, but if I tap it again, it then switches to Eco mode and shows E(gear) in the maxidot.    Is this a bug where it's defaulting back to normal?   Or is it actually in Eco mode but isn't displaying it for some reason on the Maxidot?   Very confused by this one.  I'm only ever using the one key and I'm the only driver, if that helps.

From what I understand, anything to do with the DSG needs to be done with the gear selector once ignition has been off, or re-selected on the infotainment and Mode button.

Similar thing happened with me on the Kodiaq (had sport selected for DSG), so I would say its normal.

Edited by Mr Grump

On the infotainment front I have the classic push button one.

The single most annoying thing is 

Using Android Auto for example then decide to go to say the car menu or maybe the maps to check the speed on a certain road 

You hit the menu button and I would expect the icon carousel to have Android Auto (SMART LINK) as the first option to stab again but no...you have to search for it

Why doesn't the last used screen/menu appear first ?....

Might just be me but its annoying...

As for the throttle lag, yes its there and yes I often stick it into Sport mode at bust roundabouts  or busy junctions.....I've kinda got used to it now...but I have been considering adding the PedalBox  or having the remap done for Audi Throttle response.

Nothing compares though to the mother of all buzzes 

Edited by Zenbasses

• 1 month later...
On 17/09/2017 at 17:10, SuperbTWM said:

This is curious about the dsg lag. My last car, octavia dsg mk3 suffered no lag when compared to the superb.

Is it true to say its normal? I would disagree.

3 hours ago, Whenwillilearn said:

This is curious about the dsg lag. My last car, octavia dsg mk3 suffered no lag when compared to the superb.

Is it true to say its normal? I would disagree.

The Octavia will have a different map on the gearbox to the superb so its not really relevant. 

A hell of a lot of people always complain time and time again about this little niggle with the DSG where it seems to hesitate, and the fact that when you put it in sport mode it responds in a flash pretty much proves that Skoda have designed it like that in the software.

Of course if you think that there is a fault with your car then take it back to the dealer and see what they think, after all you can't test drive somebodies car over the internet.

11 hours ago, SuperbTWM said:

The Octavia will have a different map on the gearbox to the superb so its not really relevant. 

A hell of a lot of people always complain time and time again about this little niggle with the DSG where it seems to hesitate, and the fact that when you put it in sport mode it responds in a flash pretty much proves that Skoda have designed it like that in the software.

Of course if you think that there is a fault with your car then take it back to the dealer and see what they think, after all you can't test drive somebodies car over the internet.

I don't think it's limited to the DSG.  I've had 3 manual VAG cars since my last DSG and they all behave the same, a disconnect between when you put your foot down to when the car actually thinks about doing something. 

My solution to the infotainment niggles is to just plug my phone in on each journey and use Android Auto.  Much better, way less fiddly and distracting.  

Google Maps / Waze is way better than the garbage sat nav they put into cars.  

Google play music - I just hold down the voice recognition button in the car and ask for anything I'd like to listen to.  

It also gets better periodically - for free!

I wish manufacturers would stop even trying.  Just put in a screen that does Apple car play and Android Auto.  For customers without smartphones, they could add a cheap Skoda branded Android handset for £100 as an option.

And no, before anyone asks - I'm not on commission!

• Like 1