Bolero upgrade to android

matnrach

Hi

Just got a new to me 2014 Superb and would like to upgrade the Bolero to one of the newer android units.

Audiotechdirect is one of the main sellers and they say on their website that the RNS510 compatible units i.e for the Columbus is not compatible with the Bolero and you need a different one.

I would have thought the since the Columbus is interchangeable with the Bolero (with some coding) then the RNS510 units would be compatible with the Bolero - with a new fascia from the Columbus I think

Anybody done this?

• 2 weeks later...

Just updated my Balero to the latest android 8" display.

It was totally plug and play, just unplug the main connector and the aerial on the Bolero and plug it into the new head unit.

The GPS antenna was taped next to the instruments inside the dashboard so you cant see it.

No messy canbus decoder boxes as it is all internal in the head unit

Everything works perfectly. 

Very good service from https://audiotechdirect.com/

They talked through all the options and were very helpful

Just needed a Columbus fascia which was bought from Skoda for about £30

CIMG1192s.jpg

Edited by matnrach

• 4 weeks later...

The only function I seem to have lost is the one that increases the volume of the sound in relation to the background noise. I am sure there is an app in the play store for  it but I have not tried to find it yet

Otherwise it is pretty much perfect

Thats fine.  I dont think my amundsen unit does that anyway.  Sorry for the thread hijack but how are you finding it day to day?  can you use 'ok google' to tell it to navigate or play music etc?

If I get one i plan to use it the same way i use my phone but have it use my phone data via hotspot or usb so I can listen to google play music and maps mainly.

There is no way I would go back to the standard unit it is so much better in every way. I use my phone as a hot spot and it also connects via the Bluetooth for the phone.

I use Google maps for Nav but there is an off line one loaded into the unit as standard.

You can have the Nav in the background whilst running another app and you can set it as priority to give notifications and drop down to show directions as well

I play music from the mico SD card or Spotify online

I also use the Torque app to monitor the engine functions but that is just for interest.

Not sure if your unit is compatible with the plugs on the back of the head unit but you can ask the guys who sold it (details above)

One of the best accessories I have ever bought!

Can I ask why you went for that particular unit?  Theres one that has a 9 inch screen but no volume knob.  the ability to hit on/off and adjust the volume quickly is quite appealing.

I chose that one as it had a cd slot and as you say the buttons. The top right button indexes through the different equalizer settings which I find useful as well

Obviously I dont know what the other types are like.

I believe some have Apple type interfaces and others are Android. 

The one I have has the internal Canbus decoders for the steering wheel control so no need for a bulky extra loom 

Probably best to speak with the supplier for your best option

• 1 year later...

@matnrach sorry to bring up a year old thread, but I'm also looking at buying from Audiotechdirect and was wondering if you can shed some light on how your system is operating a year later?

Also, how's the sound quality? I have the Columbus head unit (2011 model but in a 2009 Octavia) and I'm very happy with the current sound.

Hope your stereo is still treating you well.

Hi

The unit is still fine. No issues at all.

Sound is at least as good as the standard unit with more ability customise to your liking

If I were to get a new one it would have the slightly larger screen and no CD drive as I have not used it at all.

Possibly worth getting the Android 8.0 version as it has a split screen function I believe which would be useful

Hope that helps

Edited by matnrach

Good morning! It definitely inspires more confidence !

I'm looking at the model below, it's android 8 and should have the split screen function. I will check to see if they have one without the CD/DVD slot because I've never used it in the Columbus anyways.

https://audiotechdirect.com/pba-vw7815v-8-android-8-after-market-radio-for-vw-seat-skoda/

I guess there's one other thing I want to ask you, you mentioned the screen isn't very bright. So on sunny days, is it problematic to see what's being displayed on the screen? Such as navigation or switching through songs?

Can I ask does your car have a maxidot display and does it work with the new unit.

I've thinking of changing my swing but I've got maxidot , also does it work with factory fitted reversing sensors

Tia

Ken

13 minutes ago, SkodaSponge said:

Good morning! It definitely inspires more confidence !

I'm looking at the model below, it's android 8 and should have the split screen function. I will check to see if they have one without the CD/DVD slot because I've never used it in the Columbus anyways.

https://audiotechdirect.com/pba-vw7815v-8-android-8-after-market-radio-for-vw-seat-skoda/

I guess there's one other thing I want to ask you, you mentioned the screen isn't very bright. So on sunny days, is it problematic to see what's being displayed on the screen? Such as navigation or switching through songs?

12 minutes ago, Kenrw8 said:

Can I ask does your car have a maxidot display and does it work with the new unit.

I've thinking of changing my swing but I've got maxidot , also does it work with factory fitted reversing sensors

Tia

Ken

If the Maxidot is the info on the display between the speed/re counter then it does not affect that.

The reversing sensors still work with audible and visual warning