What is this fake engine noise all about

12 hours ago, Orville said:

My 14-plate VRS has no direct adjustment for the SG. It was ON all of the time within Eco and Normal engine modes and ON-Loud within Sport. Perhaps they have added more adjustement for the FL/Bi-focal models?

Its the same with the Golf R, mine is a 2015 & had to be turned down using vcds but later 2016- Golf R's can be adjusted by the driver using the settings in the mode selector using the touch screen. 

1 hour ago, mikey vrs said:

Its the same with the Golf R, mine is a 2015 & had to be turned down using vcds but later 2016- Golf R's can be adjusted by the driver using the settings in the mode selector using the touch screen. 

Could be wrong but I think this is a MIB 1 Vs MIB 2 thing. MIB 2 has more adjustment options in the mode selector. With MIB 1 the sound generator level is tied to the mode i.e. Sport, Normal, Eco at a fixed % for each.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Orville said:

My 14-plate VRS has no direct adjustment for the SG. It was ON all of the time within Eco and Normal engine modes and ON-Loud within Sport. Perhaps they have added more adjustement for the FL/Bi-focal models?

Same, although I find it barely noticeable in Normal/Eco. If you stick to normal then flu k the DSG to S then the sound doesn't seem to increase the same as it would 2nd switching to VRS mode.

So how do you disable it with VCDS?

20 minutes ago, Dave77 said:

Same, although I find it barely noticeable in Normal/Eco. If you stick to normal then flu k the DSG to S then the sound doesn't seem to increase the same as it would 2nd switching to VRS mode.

So how do you disable it with VCDS?

It's an adaptation on the Sound Aktuator Module. 

1. From the VCDS main screen click the button “Select”
  2. Click the button “A9 Structure Borne Sound”
  3. Click the button “Adaption 10”
  4. Use the Channel drop down and select “Volume of structure borne noise actuator” For me it was the only one.
  5. Enter 0

• 4 weeks later...

I really like it on my diesel VRS. Gives it a bit of character when in sport. Like others have said you can put it into eco in the individual setting and really tailor everything to suit. I haven't experienced any other model so can't comment on them but I have been driving a mk7 golf from new for the last 6 months and can say in the 10k I have covered it has been dull. Boring to drive, awful engine note and boring to drive (so boring I said it twice). The VRS feels mental in comparison!

• Like 1

1. don't like it when no music and just want to enjoy driving and nice deep note of exhaust of 230

2. but, find it useful when driving temperamently with a loud music. You actually can't hear engine, even the actuator hardly goes through.

If just it could be somehow connected with music volume, would make much more sense to me.