Closing boot with Key Fob

Hi guys,

Collect my SE L Exec in 2 weeks, one thing I noticed is I couldn't close the boot with the key fob? Apparently only KESSY can do this. 

So a friend said it can be enabled with coding however all I seem to find is people saying use Vag Can not VCDS but no guide at all.

Has anyone enabled this and know how it's done so that I can get it coded as soon as I collect my car? I'm going to go to a coder but having a rough idea of what is needed is going to be much better.

You need VCP to do this. VCDS can´t. As I understand it, the tailgate electronics gets parameters from another model to make it work.

Edited by GaSelle

I've got KESSY on my MY18 and I can close the boot from the keyfob.

Hold the keyfob  middle button down until the boot beeps start and it will close.

21 minutes ago, Fatso said:

I've got KESSY on my MY18 and I can close the boot from the keyfob.

Hold the keyfob  middle button down until the boot beeps start and it will close.

Same for me - I have MY17.

Must b within 2m of the car, outside.

won't work from inside.

.....unless coded to do so.

3 hours ago, Crummy said:

I have a 2017 SEL estate, non kessy, and holding the boot button on the fob for a few seconds closes it.

It's such a strange and variable situation with the operation of the boot.  I also have a MY17 SEL estate, and holding the button on the fob will open it, but certainly won't close it.

13 hours ago, Crummy said:

I have a 2017 SEL estate, non kessy, and holding the boot button on the fob for a few seconds closes it.

I paid £400 for KESSY specifically to get the remote closing feature. I will be rather annoyed if that turns out to have been unnecessary.

21 hours ago, Fatso said:

I paid £400 for KESSY specifically to get the remote closing feature. I will be rather annoyed if that turns out to have been unnecessary.

My MY17 SEL (non-KESSY) doesn't allow the boot to close via the fob. Neither does a friend's estate MY17 SEL.

I have an L&K MY2018 estate, can open the boot from centre console, key or the button on the boot. Central console button will not close the boot at all (and don't believe this can be coded as yet). Closing with the key only works if the key is a reasonable distance outside the car (doesn't work if I reach my arm out through the window).  Hands free opening with my foot only works if the car is locked for some reason, and the towbar is locked in position to use. If towbar is tucked away it seems to interfere with the sensor.

my understanding of factory/stock behaviour of the electric tailgate......

OPENING

from Outside:-

1. with key.  press and hold. must be within 2-3 m of car.
  2. with leg.  ninja/swipe kick under bumper (beneath the numberplate)
  3. with buton. press boot button on tailgate, next to rearview camera.

from Inside

1. with button.  press centre console button to open

CLOSING

3. with button.  press boot button on tailgate to close.

from Inside

1. n/a

i believe coding, will allow u to CLOSE, from inside, via the centre console button.
Edited by JR RS

Agree with JR RS my MY17 works exactly as described. Found out the other day you can even pause and resume boot operation by nija swip before tailgate has reached extent of travel.

Having said that I have had to have the Nija sensor replaced (under warrentee) as I had no operation initially.

On ‎19‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 03:10, JR RS said:

my understanding of factory/stock behaviour of the electric tailgate......

OPENING

3. with buton. press boot button on tailgate, next to rearview camera.

from Inside

1. with button.  press centre console button to open

CLOSING

3. with button.  press boot button on tailgate to close.

from Inside

1. n/a

i believe coding, will allow u to CLOSE, from inside, via the centre console button.

Opening with key is as far away as 30 Meters (range the remote will operate the car)(although mine will do this at 70m and inside a building)

Closing you need to be within 2 meters of the car ( but at that distance why not press the button on tailgate).

Edited by jeehi

I have a 15 Plate L&K Estate and it I can open from the key and close with the key...

Press once to open the boot

Press and hold to close the boot

I seldom use this and usually go for the button on the boot.

I did initially get told by the dealership that to close the button you press the button twice if the boot is in the open position and make sure press on hold on the 2nd click.but quickly realized the double click method was not needed.

I can't see it being different between trim levels.

Hope you get it sorted as it should work with no issues.

p.s.. I use the virtual pedal as well and actually find it very useful in some situations and it very rarely fails to pick my amateurish ninja kick...   

• 1 year later...

My 2017 L&K will open and shut the tailgate with the key fob at across the car park distances - using the Click - release - Click HOLD method. Can even stop and start part way though travel of tails gate (confuses the hell out of other half).

Yet I cant shut the sun roof with the key if I forget to close it before I leave the car - that frustrates me.

1 hour ago, Smudgers said:

Yet I cant shut the sun roof with the key if I forget to close it before I leave the car - that frustrates me.

Have you tried to press and hold the lock button on the fob, that should close all windows+sunroof.  Likewise, a press and hold of the unlock button will open them.  In both cases, just hold until completely closed/open or to the desired amount. 

IIRC, You may need to check if convenience opening/closing is enabled.  Car/Vehicle > Settings > Opening and Closing > Convenience opening (or similar)

If you have KESSY I think (and I'm 50/50 not sure I'm making this up) you can also use the sensor on the outside of the door handle to close the sunroof (keep finger pressed on it)

EDIT: You have an L&K so yes, you have KESSY. :)

Edited by penguin17

15 hours ago, Smudgers said:

Thanks penguin17, yep have tried all combos of pressing buttons on the key but the sunroof will not budge. Windows go up and down fine.

Is it an option that you have to tick in Convenience Opening?  I don’t have a sunroof but on mine I can select ‘Drivers’ windows or ‘All’. Maybe ‘Sunroof’ is presentbif you have one?