Travel Assist with traffic sign recognition and display

I have noticed it sometimes picks up a random now and again like a slip road but generally it’s spot on. I approached some roadworks in the middle of no where the other day, on a 60mph road,  and it picked up the temporary 20 mph limit and no overtaking signs.  I didn’t notice what was displaying on the sat nav at the time.

If you assume it's an extra pair of eyes that might be wrong at times it's doing it's job. If the camera sees signs at an angle on side-roads then it's going to recognise them.

You can think no that's wrong and know it's safe to ignore. If it is saying 70mph for a limit and it's 20mph then that going to be obvious.

I know now that it does not work by recognising traffic signs.

Driving on the same road in the village where I live today.

30mph limit in the whole village, no 20mph signs at all, no temporary signs at all. No road works, no schools, no side roads etc

Drive one way at 28-30 mph, all is ok. Drive the other way at the same speed, "Warning comes up that I am speeding in 20mph" sat nav and Maxidot displaying a 20mph sign.

What has it seen that I haven't? I have even walked the dog around the same area to make sure that there are no signs with a 20. Nothing.......

It's rubbish in my opinion and as it is wrong too many times and I don't believe that it has traffic sign recognition, what has it recognised to say It's a 20mph limit? It's GPS based for sure and a scam.

It reads signs in my case - maybe yours is faulty.

For example, driving on a motorway with roadworks (maps would say 70mph) but it says 50mph. Variable speed signs recognised too.

Near us there is a National speed sign as you leave a village but the sign was so dirty TSR couldn't read it , you pass the sign a 30mph (TSR/Sat nav read show the same speed ) but the TSR remains at 30, as does Sat Nav until you reach a 40 sign about 2 miles away and both the SAt Nav and TSR then show forty. The sign has now been cleaned and both TSR and Sat Nav now picks up that Sign. So TSR must work via the LA Camera but Sat Nav displays what ever the TSR shows.

I think

Edited by Auric Goldfinger

1 hour ago, rtj70 said:

It reads signs in my case - maybe yours is faulty.

For example, driving on a motorway with roadworks (maps would say 70mph) but it says 50mph. Variable speed signs recognised too.

So where does it get 20 from when no sign existed? 

Mine also will and does read 50 signs on the motorway at roadworks.

But why the rubbish it displays randomly? 

• 7 months later...

I have.  Just taken delivery of my Karoq 1.5 TSI SEL 

When I drove the demonstrator it had the speed limit in the multifunction display. I told the salesman that was a feature I really liked having tried to activate it in my car it is not an option so is this something in retrospect I can have turned on even if I have to pay for it

On 12/10/2017 at 03:27, BillyJim said:

With TSR enabled you can set an alert if you exceed the detected speed limit by a preset value in the range of 0-9 mph or 0-15 km/h.

How do you enable /set up that?

• 1 year later...
57 minutes ago, VelocityVinnie said:

If your car does not have this function, can it be retro fitted at a later date? i am presuming it uses an actual camera, rather than a radar like the ACC uses?

Yes, Traffic sign recognition can be enabled, via vcds or obdeleven.

Assuming u have the right camera.

Search for "tried & tested codings" in this forum.

• Like 1