Particulate filter problems after emissions recall

Jonathon1

I have a Yeti Ambiance (I live in France)  2 litre diesel. 2013.  It was recalled in October last year.  Since then I have had new temperature sensors, 3 regenerations. (Last one carried out by a main Skoda dealer). They keep telling me that I must be doing too many  short journeys which is rubbish.  The last regen was carried out 3 weeks ago. I have just completed a 100 mile dual carriage journey and after 70 miles the filter light came on again. I continued for another 30 miles at around 2,500 rpm using a lower gear, then the glow plug light and the engine light came on so now I have all three.  The Skoda dealer insists it can have nothing to do wth the recall.  Has anybody else had there same problem and if so what is my next step please?

try another dealership, if one is within reasonable distance, here in finistere I have 2, Quimper and brest both within 35 miles - keep chasing them, write to skoda france etc

Is your Official Complaint with Skoda France / VW Group, you have their Peace of mind warranty for 24 months do you not, 

they need to get competent technicians to have your vehicle adverse issue free post Fix.

The Skoda Dealership can say what ever they like, Skoda (VW) pays for further diagnosis and what Technicians working to a script 

are not those that have the knowledge on what the new engine management has or has not done.

Thank you for your comments. I will go back to Skoda Perigeuex and insist they sort this out. Up to now they have said they know of no other complaints re DPF issues which is obviously a lie.  I will also write to Skoda fr.

The Dealership have the report procedure and should be giving you a Complaints / Claim Form.

They are charging Skoda for the Warranty Work if you are not paying.

Does the French Government Agency not have a Complaint Procedure for VW Group vehicle owners that have vehicles with Defeat Devices and then issues after the VW Fix?

when asked about the fix, I refused, I got the'usual' spiel, n adverse effects afterwards, must be something in the French air here, was asked to sign a refusal disclaimer, which I did, however still get letters advising me to take the 'fix'!

3 hours ago, Jonathon1 said:

The Skoda dealer insists it can have nothing to do wth the recall.

Then they no nothing or are lying thru their teeth.
Let them know you are getting in contact with Skoda.
The "Fix" puts a lot more strain on the EGR and DPF and Skoda have said they are looking very favourably on covering the cost for replacing them if the "Fix" has been done.

If anybody has the FIX/FAIL with the added 24 month warranty ,fine,but all that is doing is giving you a chance to dump the car before the 24 months is up after that your lumbered with potential very expensive problem and giving VAG a breather as the cars are passed on 4 years after THEIR CHEAT.

I too had the "fix" on my 2011 plate 2.0 yeti and now get the DPF light approx every 80 miles now after never seeing it pre "fix".

I've had 2 diagnostic checks from 2 different Skoda dealerships and surprise , surprise no fault was found with the car!

Now wondering what to do next ?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, rockmanrock23 said:

I too had the "fix" on my 2011 plate 2.0 yeti and now get the DPF light approx every 80 miles now after never seeing it pre "fix".

I've had 2 diagnostic checks from 2 different Skoda dealerships and surprise , surprise no fault was found with the car!

Now wondering what to do next ?

I can’t see how it isn’t the same for all those who had it done.    For those who say there has been no change, it would be very interesting to find out how that could be the case, because in all cases the EGR cooler valve unit now has to operate constantly, not just when it ‘detects’ a test procedure.

The lifespan of the EGR will be much shorter also.

• Like 1

I doubt very much that the EGR is completely inactive on the cheaty diesels, I suspect it’s just a difference in EGR rates (plus injection strategy and turbo management).

• Like 1

Interesting that others have the same problem. rockmanrock23, what advice has the dealer given to you?    There must be a solution somewhere. 

Meanwhile I am sitting here in the middle of rural France with no car. My 15000 euro Yeti is off the road for the umpteen time since the fix  and the dealer can't book it back in until the middle of November.  This is a bl**dy disgrace!!!

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

• 1 month later...

Just had another re- generation by the Skoda dealer. 3rd in 12 months!    They also  fitted a new temperature sensor. (2nd in 12 months. First one fitted my my local garage)  They re-programed the new sensor saying that it hadn't been programmed properly  by my local garage and they gave me the normal speel about doing to many short journeys.  For goodness sake I live in the back of beyond in deepest rural France and  don't do any short journeys as my nearest shop is 15 km away.

Not sure if this will fix the problem but fingers crossed. 

They bang open the egr for longer periods, cooling the combustion temps creating more soot and clogging dpf.

I've had the software rolled back, egr switched off and remapped.

According to vagdpf app I'm 653 miles since last regen and 7.01g soot out of the 24g until next regen.

It exited last regen at 5g soot so gained 2grams over those miles. I recon 1500 miles between regens and no long journeys just the odd burst.

• Like 1

Find yourself a decent mapper.

They can get the original file for any car and wipe and install into the ecu of needed.

He looked at the two files and said all they have done is made it inject later and open the cooled egr much more.

Late injection causes soot as it can't burn as completely (cooler) and cooled air from egr also filing through and increased activity.

All of this is for n0x and very bad for soot.

We don't test for n0x in the UK so it's a waste of time wrecking the engine for it.

Egr fails cos of increased load and dpf because of increased soot.

£200 to £300 should have a decent map and egr off and you'll have more power and way more mpg as Well.

If they can't do a roll back they will be able to make the necessary adjustment in your current file.

I'm finding the pins to make the egr activate, because if n0x testing ever does come to .uk I'll just have a switch on the dash to flick for the test and off again after.

My suspiscion is the heat will be off diesels before then like it has done twice before

Edited by Lofty79
Addition
  • Thanks 1

I've had similar issues 1 year after their ECU mod. The EGR and cooler was replaced with new the previous year. But the car is low mileage and does short runs. I was tempted to just take it straight back and say 'You did this mod and now the car is broken!'  I am glad I didn't because they would have shown me photos of the Throttle Valve (TV) (see my recent posts) and there's no way it should have been as bad as it was.

Since their ECU fix, she noticed the fans would come on in Winter and stay on a while after stopping. It never did that before and I can only think that is related to the fix - are they now doing the dpf regen more often?  Now I know the fans are put on to cool down the engine bay after stopping when a DPF regen has been running. My gut feeling was since she said this happened a lot, the car was never finishing its regen?

Now I've seen just how much 'gunk' can get into the EA189 emissions system, I'm convinced it needs a check and clean out after each 30K miles.  That's bad new if you have the 4X4 because whilst the throttle valve and manifold at the front is accessible, the EGR and cooler at the back is a horrendous pain. My conclusion is the EA189 TDis can get gradually gunked up and it's just a matter of time, unrelated to the ECU fix ,when you start to get faults related to the emission system. Unless you drive motorways every day! If they have now reduced the time between dpf regens, that's a worse problem for shorter mileage drivers, because excessive diesel fuel and soot will build up faster in the system.

If the combustion temperatures need constant control by the process of regurgitating exhaust gasses, the EGR cooler system will surely foul quicker than before .........because it’s now working, whereas it wasn’t before.....except during the testing sham.

I can’t see how powering along a motorway won’t need significant EGR activity and thus a shorter life....but the DPF should benefit from it.

I don’t think there is any good news.

Hi to all involved in this prevailing thread!

Had a strange experience last night with my EA189 after drving off the ferry in Dover. As I left the harbour area to drive onto the A2, the EGR/DPF warning light came on. Why, I asked myself, does this light come on after having driven from Frankfurt to Calais (600km) in 5hours and 30minutes before driving straight on to the ferry. This light stayed on until parking the car 2hours later in London. Luckily, this morning after starting the car, it didn't come on!

I am confused and puzzled! My car had the "Fix" done in September 17 and I had noticed the electric fan running at "odd occassions" when this device didn't operate in the past; never connecting it to the "Fix". However, after reading your experiences, things do fall into place and I am a little worried!

Bought my car in 2012 in Canterbury and now live in Frankfurt. Do the Frankfurt to London run about 5 to 6 times a year and drive 2/3 of my milage on the motorways. Have clocked 107,000 km in just under 6 years.

Happy Christmas!

walterhein

1 minute ago, walterhein said:

Hi to all involved in this prevailing thread!

Had a strange experience last night with my EA189 after drving off the ferry in Dover. As I left the harbour area to drive onto the A2, the EGR/DPF warning light came on. Why, I asked myself, does this light come on after having driven from Frankfurt to Calais (600km) in 5hours and 30minutes before driving straight on to the ferry. This light stayed on until parking the car 2hours later in London. Luckily, this morning after starting the car, it didn't come on!

I am confused and puzzled! My car had the "Fix" done in September 17 and I had noticed the electric fan running at "odd occassions" when this device didn't operate in the past; never connecting it to the "Fix". However, after reading your experiences, things do fall into place and I am a little worried!

Bought my car in 2012 in Canterbury and now live in Frankfurt. Do the Frankfurt to London run about 5 to 6 times a year and drive 2/3 of my milage on the motorways. Have clocked 107,000 km in just under 6 years.

Happy Christmas!

walterhein

I suspect the motorway does the DPF good, but not the EGR cooler valve.