Spare Wheel what size will fit in boot space on a superb 3 hatchback.

I have just (last week) got a 205/55 R16 in mine with no issues. This is the OE fitment for a spare.

Edited by widu13

Just to point out, 205/55/R16 that Skoda puts in the Mk3 Superb is a regular wheel, but it is not full size/diameter spare for the Mk3 Superb.

Full size is actually 215/60/R60, which is about 32mm larger diameter. 205/55/R16 was indeed the full sized spare for Mk1 and Mk2 Superb, but Mk3 has 5% larger tyre circumference.

If you put the current Skoda "full size" (not!) spare on the car, your ABS/TCS/ESP and tyre pressure systems will have a fit. Not to mention that the diameter difference with the other, regular wheel would probably cook your diff after a while if used on the front axle. Unless you put double effort and put rear wheel on the front and the spare on the rear. 

For this reason I do not consider a full sized spare anything other than same wheel as the rest on the car, preferably with same/similar tyre. But apparently the rules for car salesmen are different...

Has anyone tried to pack under the boot floor a genuine full size spare, same as the rest of the wheels on the car? I guess in the UK it would be only in the Superb S trim, but other countries allow other trims/engines in that wheel size.

I ask because the 5% undersized spare that Skoda currently offers as "full size spare" is not a good idea if e.g.  you are 500 miles away from home, in a remote area of Scotland, on a Sunday afternoon, and your damaged tyre looks like this:

tyre_puncture.jpg

Theoretical? No, this is my car's wheel, this summer. Thankfully, I had a genuine full size spare matching the rest of wheels in my Mk1 Superb, so 20min and some sweat later we were on our way back home. 

I am looking into replacing my Mk1 with Mk3, so if someone could clarify that a 215/60/R16 wheel could fit in the spare wheel well, possibly with marginally raised boot floor by 5-10mm, I would be quite grateful.

Edited by dieselV6

The boot carpet actually sits on the tyre sidewall (205/55/16) so a 215 will rase the carpet 10mm... easy enough to do with a few strips of 10mm wood stuck to the boot floor.

From memory there is a fair bit of room around the tread in the spare wheel well.

I'd say there is at least 25mm of space all the way around the tyre in the wheel well so diameter should be OK.  As Gizmo says you would need to raise the boot floor by 10mm.

and Cruise Control can't be activated when drive with that spare in rear

maybe  worth is replace current 205/55r16 spare by 205/65r16

then diameter will be closer to other wheels

205/55r16 vs 215/55r17 = -5.6%

205/55r16 vs 225/55r17 = -7.2%

205/65r16 vs 215/55r17 = +0.8%

205/65r16 vs 225/55r17 = -0.8%

https://tiresize.com/comparison/

I bought a used a used 17” Stratos (same as OEM) and put a 215/55 R17 runner on it… didn’t want a space saver. I packed the rear and sides with 20mm of acoustic underlay using double sided tape and the standard floor now sits flat.

It fits the wheel well fine, but sits against the plastic lip just below the warning triangle housing. No damage at all, but it means removing the wheel at the far side first.

• Thanks 1

dieselV6, how fast were you going when that happened!!!!?  Glad your ok.  Surprised you never tried an inflation kit LOL.  Can I ask though why you think that the ABS, TCS and ESP would have a fit if you used the R16 wheel?  As far as I am aware an ABS system does not compare road wheels speed to each other, rather it is constantly looking for a 0-1-0-1-0-1- signal from the wheel sensor which is reading from the reluctor ring on the hub which looks a little like the ramparts of a castle.  I get that the wheel will be turning slightly faster at a given road speed with its reduced diameter but why would the ABS care?  The same goes for the TSC and ESP.  How do these systems cope when the car is going round corners and roundabouts when all wheel speeds will be slightly different and the wheels pointing in three different directions.  I think that if it was really critical then the advice would be from all manufacturers to change all tyres at the same time even if it was only on one axle which clearly they don't.  Tread wear can give a reduction in diameter of 10mm (approx.) which will cause the ABS etc and diff for that matter to act differently in relation to the other wheels rotation speeds.  I think your right, if you were to use a Mk3 "spare" it would make sense to have your original replaced as soon as possible and fit it to the car in the same way you would a space saver but I think it would have less of an effect than you suggest.  It would defo look better that's for sure.  Now of course technology might have moved on since I was on the tools ( I never had a laptop in my tool kit) but I don't think i'm far away.  Not trying to cause offense just interested in the topic that's all.

ABS determines each wheels rotational speed.

It knows how much traction each wheel has.

tis how the tyre pressure monitor works.  The low pressure tyre will spin at a different speed to the other 3 wheels.

Similarly, if u put a different sized spare wheel, it will spin to a different speed as the other 3 wheels.