Company Car Choices

Hi all,  First time post.  Here goes:

Company car is due for renewal shortly and I've been looking around as you do.  Couple of options r.e. Octavias...  Either:

1) 2.0 Tdi VRS Estate, or
2) 2.0 Tdi L&K Hatch, or
3) 2.0 SE L Estate

(I can't spec anything other than paint colour on top of what comes in the above packs, irritatingly.)

I'd be interested to get some real life MPG figures from you VRS owners, and also, whether the step up in price is worth it?  Also, is the step up in value from the saloon to the estate worth it?  I'm reading some big boot numbers from both.  If anyone can link me to images of their L&K interiors too I'd appreciate it, the images from Google make it look *very* brown.  Similarly, opinions on colour combos would be good.

I have a 40 mile each way commute which is 70% dual carriageway. The MPG and kit level on the L&K is tempting but I'm worried I'll spend 4 years sat in a brown interior not being overly happy.  The BIK tax is identical (to a few pence) on the VRS and the L&K, the SE L is obviously a few quid a month cheaper.

I'm just coming out of driving a Seat Leon 2.0 FR 150 so I'm used to being able to put my foot down and move but also claim 60+ MPG on my commute.

Thanks in advance.

Robbo.

It's the same engine, you will get similar mpg, if this is your priority concern. 

L&K is about luxury

vRS is about fun, like your current FR

Open a UK configuration on Škoda site and see your options. I am not sure that many interior options are available on L&K or vRS either.

56 minutes ago, nidza said:

It's the same engine, you will get similar mpg, if this is your priority concern. 

L&K is about luxury

vRS is about fun, like your current FR

Open a UK configuration on Škoda site and see your options. I am not sure that many interior options are available on L&K or vRS either.

Same engine but VRS is more powerful, won't that impact the MPG? L&K seems to come fully kitted, VRS actually doesn't seem that different in terms of "toys" to the SE from what I can tell.

I drive a VRS diesel estate, i am averaging 48.something (after 23,000 miles) for a near identical journey as yours in terms of distance and MPG. Initially i was put off by the unforgiving ride but others who have sat in the car have not noticed it. For me an estate was a no brainer with kids and the stuff that goes with them.

3 minutes ago, Banjaminion said:

I drive a VRS diesel estate, i am averaging 48.something (after 23,000 miles) for a near identical journey as yours in terms of distance and MPG. Initially i was put off by the unforgiving ride but others who have sat in the car have not noticed it. For me an estate was a no brainer with kids and the stuff that goes with them.

Thanks. Anything you don't like about it?

I average 44mpg with a TSI (SE-L estate DSG). You might get +10% on that with diesel (probably not in the VRS!) but diesel costs more...as does the car itself, so the BIK will be more. 

Worth running the numbers if you had the choice, but if it's dictated to be diesel and you don't mind paying a bit more tax then I'd go with the L&K!

I have a 2015 Manual Diesel VRS estate - on a 80 mile round trip commute travelling at sensible speeds (under 80 leptons or so) i reckon mid 50s MPG is viable.  My record on a long run from Yorkshire to the South West was 63 MPG!

Initially it wasnt hitting anywhere near those numbers, but when the engine loosened up around 12k miles it was great.

Pros to estate - huge space, better looking than saloon, Q car factor, non chocolate L&K interior

Cons- hard (ish) ride, 18" Gemini wheels that are all too easy to kerb, some tyre roar (but i believe facelifted model has better insulation?)

options to consider: Canton sound system (do it - my biggest regret not choosing this), heated front seats, parking sensors/ camera, DCC Ride control (VRS is comfy on the motorway but the ride can be a bit hard on normal roads)

i'd advise against the overpriced L&K - treat yourself with something a bit sporty!

Simon

Edited by Simon667

3 hours ago, robs12 said:

I average 44mpg with a TSI (SE-L estate DSG). You might get +10% on that with diesel (probably not in the VRS!) but diesel costs more...as does the car itself, so the BIK will be more. 

Worth running the numbers if you had the choice, but if it's dictated to be diesel and you don't mind paying a bit more tax then I'd go with the L&K!

Sadly I don't have the choice between petrol and diesel. Has to be a diesel. The only variations are between trim, engine and body shape. The pay off for the estate is less toys, or more toys and less fun. Tricky one.

I see you have the phobia of brown interior and ask the same question as everyone else who has considered an L&K. ( regardless of model).

I will see if i can cure you of this minor Phobia to brown interior. :) 

I have a Yeti L&K with the brown interior and it is not the 1980's brown that i suspect you are thinking of, I would say it is closer to a chocolate brown , halfway between Milk and Dark chocolate. 

To see what it is really like, find a Skoda dealer with an L&K and go and have a look I believe you will be pleasantly surprised as most people if not all  who have asked the same question seriously thinking about it have found it is not an issue.

Can you not spec an L&K with the most powerful engine specially as engine choices on cars are now very limited ?

38 minutes ago, lfc958 said:

I see you have the phobia of brown interior and ask the same question as everyone else who has considered an L&K. ( regardless of model).

I will see if i can cure you of this minor Phobia to brown interior. :) 

I have a Yeti L&K with the brown interior and it is not the 1980's brown that i suspect you are thinking of, I would say it is closer to a chocolate brown , halfway between Milk and Dark chocolate. 

To see what it is really like, find a Skoda dealer with an L&K and go and have a look I believe you will be pleasantly surprised as most people if not all  who have asked the same question seriously thinking about it have found it is not an issue.

Can you not spec an L&K with the most powerful engine specially as engine choices on cars are now very limited ?

I'll make some calls today and see what I can find.  The stock images do make it look VERY brown though, probably just the lighting.  I can't spec it any more than what's above sadly, it has to be the 2.0 tdi 150, which isn't exactly a bad engine from what I hear.

Assuming that the L&K is the way to go, what pain colour is going to work best?  Skoda aren't doing themselves many favours by using the Maple brown for their publicity shots... a brown car with a brown interior is very 70s.  I wasn't even born in the 70s!

White with brown interior can look good. Grey with brown less so. Black with brown... maybe. 

Pics: https://www.completecar.ie/car-reviews/article/Skoda/Octavia/Octavia_L&K/769/4229/2014-Skoda-Octavia-L&K-review.html

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/official-new-car-reviews/142516-skoda-octavia-official-review-68.html

Looking at those, I'd be vRS all the way. Beige, yeah, fine. Pale grey, awesome. But that much brown? No. Then go either race blue with grey seams or red with red seams. Subtle it ain't.

vrs: http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/100475/skoda-octavia-vrs-review-pictures#2

Other alternative: do the TDI SE. That would give you alcantara / leather (which the vRS won't!) and the option of a pale interior. If you've no kids, it's a nice place to be. Quartz grey hides the dirt well.

- Bret

1 hour ago, J4kerobbo said:

I'll make some calls today and see what I can find.  The stock images do make it look VERY brown though, probably just the lighting.  I can't spec it any more than what's above sadly, it has to be the 2.0 tdi 150, which isn't exactly a bad engine from what I hear.

Assuming that the L&K is the way to go, what pain colour is going to work best?  Skoda aren't doing themselves many favours by using the Maple brown for their publicity shots... a brown car with a brown interior is very 70s.  I wasn't even born in the 70s!

Dont be fooled by the brochure or even the photos posted you have to actually see the colours ' On the Tin' in real daylight,  

We have the Muscovado Brown, but the Jungle Green was very popular (for us it was between those 2)  Glad we didnt get the green as there are lots around. ( again dont be fooled by the word 'green').

I would recommend also looking at other models in the showroom exterior colours after having actually seen theL&K interior 1st, you will find that it works with all the exterior colours, it will then just be down to personal taste.

I know someone who has the 150 Diesel in an L&K  Yeti, ( mine is 1.8 petrol) and are more than happy with its performance, given the relatively small size / weight difference between Octy & Yeti it should be no problem. and mpg wise their Yeti  appears to be good despite being the shape of 2 bricks :D    

Happy hunting hope you find something.

Edited by lfc958

On 18 October 2017 at 14:01, J4kerobbo said:

1) 2.0 Tdi VRS Estate, or
2) 2.0 Tdi L&K Hatch, or
3) 2.0 SE L Estate

I'm currently driving a 65-plate VRS, with 26k on the clock. General daily driving, I'm getting between 45-50mpg. In terms of longer runs, it peaked a few weeks back at 62mpg which was nice. 

In terms of what's it like, I absolutely love it still, puts a smile on my face like day the fella unveiled it in the gimmicky-cover reveal - which is great since we bought this to last a good while. 

A guy who parks near my house at times has the L&K estate in grey, with Torino alloys, it looks ace. I'd probably consider getting a LK for "refinement" but to be honest if I was that bothered I'd probably move into a well specced Superb instead. 

I was in the same boat as you and went for the Vrs estate (tdi)

I looked at a load of cars and this just seemed like the best offer overall. Literately had it 2 weeks and have been away on business most of that time so not really had a good ride out in it yet. Normal work mileage is about 800 - 1000 miles a month so I expect to get some good miles on it soon.

Things I dont like:

• Its a diesel... not really fault of the car but its very different from tuned petrols (this is the 1st diesel I've owned / 1st company car)... saying this, for a diesel it revs out quite nice and seems quick enough. It is far better than some of the hire cars I've driven over past year or so (Vaxhaull / Peugeot see to have some horrible engine / gearbox combos)
  • The ride is a bit hard at slower speeds, town driving can be a bit of a pain
  • Annoying sound generator - seems to a blight of newer cars (last car was Mk2 Focus ST so used to that nice 5 pot burble)
  • Stance is a bit dorky
  • Some of the interior plastics are a bit on the cheap side
  • Not the most entertaining steer I've ever been in

Things I do like:

• Standard kit is great in my opinion. Nice big glass touch screen, infotainment system, cruise control, DAB / USB, Satnav, adaptive lane control etc etc... This is important if you cant spec extras
  • Nice seats
  • Its huge especially if you go for the estate, so its very practical, nice touches like being able to fold down the rear seats from the boot etc
  • I really like the gearbox, the throw is short and precise
  • Clutch and break feel are nice
  • Seems to grip well for a big car
  • Nicely composed in the wet on the motorway
  • I love the looks
  • Even though its not the most 'fun' handling car, in Vrs mode the steering is nicely weighted at speed and the car does cover ground at a rapid pace
  • Even though a few of the plastics are a bit cheap Skoda have made sure they are in parts of the car you dont look at during normal driving... all the bits you see and touch when on the road are high quality and the cabin generally feels like a really good place to be... the ambient lighting is a very nice touch!

Cant really comment on mpg yet as I've not had it long enough... do love the green driving monitor thing though (although you get this with all models I expect)

If you have to get a sensible car and are not quite ready to let go of your boy racer roots the Vrs is a solid choice, if your more concerned about ride comfort get a superb (if its on the list)

L&K should be the refined luxury option.

but .....

Skoda kind of mucked that up with 18" wheels and torsion beam rear suspension.

My ideal Octavia is not going to happen unfortunately - L&K trim, IRS, Manual gearbox, 17" wheels, VRS power

On 10/22/2017 at 09:55, Zig said:

I was in the same boat as you and went for the Vrs estate (tdi)

I looked at a load of cars and this just seemed like the best offer overall. Literately had it 2 weeks and have been away on business most of that time so not really had a good ride out in it yet. Normal work mileage is about 800 - 1000 miles a month so I expect to get some good miles on it soon.

Things I dont like:

• Its a diesel... not really fault of the car but its very different from tuned petrols (this is the 1st diesel I've owned / 1st company car)... saying this, for a diesel it revs out quite nice and seems quick enough. It is far better than some of the hire cars I've driven over past year or so (Vaxhaull / Peugeot see to have some horrible engine / gearbox combos)
  • The ride is a bit hard at slower speeds, town driving can be a bit of a pain
  • Annoying sound generator - seems to a blight of newer cars (last car was Mk2 Focus ST so used to that nice 5 pot burble)
  • Stance is a bit dorky
  • Some of the interior plastics are a bit on the cheap side
  • Not the most entertaining steer I've ever been in

Things I do like:

• Standard kit is great in my opinion. Nice big glass touch screen, infotainment system, cruise control, DAB / USB, Satnav, adaptive lane control etc etc... This is important if you cant spec extras
  • Nice seats
  • Its huge especially if you go for the estate, so its very practical, nice touches like being able to fold down the rear seats from the boot etc
  • I really like the gearbox, the throw is short and precise
  • Clutch and break feel are nice
  • Seems to grip well for a big car
  • Nicely composed in the wet on the motorway
  • I love the looks
  • Even though its not the most 'fun' handling car, in Vrs mode the steering is nicely weighted at speed and the car does cover ground at a rapid pace
  • Even though a few of the plastics are a bit cheap Skoda have made sure they are in parts of the car you dont look at during normal driving... all the bits you see and touch when on the road are high quality and the cabin generally feels like a really good place to be... the ambient lighting is a very nice touch!

Cant really comment on mpg yet as I've not had it long enough... do love the green driving monitor thing though (although you get this with all models I expect)

If you have to get a sensible car and are not quite ready to let go of your boy racer roots the Vrs is a solid choice, if your more concerned about ride comfort get a superb (if its on the list)

Thanks Zig, comprehensive reply that helps a lot.

Can I ask how long you were waiting for delivery...?  I've seen lead times in excess of 16 weeks!

Well I was waiting only a few weeks as they had stock in, just pot luck with that!

For reference my deal was:

£314 p/m lease (business)

20,000 miles p/a

Full servicing

Breakdown cover

Consumables included (e.g. tyres, brakes etc)

Quartz Grey 2.0l TDI Vrs Estate (no options)

I had an L&K 150 diesel DSG for 2 years.

The ride comfort is fine on the motorway, but it tends to crash around over bumps etc on slower roads.

Other than that, the level of kit of you get is amazing for the price, and it’s probably all the car you’ll ever need as a company car.

It just all depends what you want as others have said - the vRS is the looker and will be more fun to drive etc, but the L&K will have all of the toys and will be the better motorway cruiser.

Never had an ounce of bother with mine after 2 years / 40k miles.