2001 1.9 tdi clunking

Hi all, been away for a while after selling my Fabia VRs, but back and happy in a 1.9 tdi Octy estate.

Have a bit of what sounds like suspension knocks, mainly over more bumpy roads. Had it looked at by a local garage, who said the near side lower suspension arm needed replacing, which could well be correct, but it really feels like the knock(s) are both sides.

So, could it be as diagnosed and the noise/feel transferring, or, could it be something else, like engine/gearbox mounts, dog bone?

One other factor, accelerating hard up hill in 3rd, with a gentle right-hand curve results in a slight vibration/wobble through the steering.

Any thoughts please?

right hand curve suggests issue on the left side. 

Wheel bearing resulted in a groan. CV joint change eliminated wobble .. but then this is just in my case. YMMV.

Edited by bspman

@TheGoldenOne - There is only one suspension arm each side on an Octy 1. Phone that garage, tell them their diagnosis and ask what makes them so sure it's not the upper arm. If they don't say something like "there is only one suspension arm each side" when challenged like that, find another garage.

Personally, I'm suspecting front wheel bearing(s) or ball joint(s) from what you've said so far.

The "lower" bit is probably me miss-describing the diagnosis rather than a fault at the garage!  Don't think it's wheel bearings as very familiar with the grinding noise they make - plus it's knocking in relation to road imperfections and not speed related.

The garage is right next to my office, so they are looking again today as I said I felt like the noise was coming from both sides.  Will see what they find next.

Thanks all so far . .

ball joints can rattle around like this also, but like the others have said arb bushes. good time to pull the subframe and stick on a nice fat one for an r32 the 25mm is great!

Hi all

So - the suspension arm was replaced and one of the bushes was totally knackered - but it still knocked.  Quick scan of the bay and saw a drop link and arb kit for sub £20.  Bought it - got it next day - and the garage chap fitted day of receipt for £30.  Knocking all gone - so thanks all for the input - a nice simple fix in the end!

The front suspension is really soft though and it bottoms out against the undertray a lot on bumpy roads - is this a trait of the mk1 - or does it suggest front suspension tiring?  It's a 2001 1.9tdi Elegance and done 137K . .

Thanks Ken - the undertray does seem to have dropped.  The front bumper has clearly had a whack so is distorted on the lower edge - (speed-hump maybe) - and this was there when I bought it.  The undertray is fixed to that, so I reckon maybe the miss-shapen bumper is meaning the tray is lower.  It's all fixed up with cable ties though.  I'll maybe have a roll about underneath it at the weekend.  Cheers . .

@TheGoldenOne - In that case, check to see if the ties have stretched and/or the holes they're through have elongated vertically. Now the car's registered the main function of the undertray is to reduce the amount of road dirt that enters the engine bay (it was originally designed to reduce drive-by noise).

The bottoming out could be a consequence of tired shocks and springs, especially with the age and mileage, more so with the weight of the diesel engine up front. I recently changed the front shocks on my mk1 vrs after 165k miles (still original) as it was very soft on the front, the difference is amazing now. Just need to get some new rear shocks and some rear springs as they have gone weak. Just weighing up standard springs for about £60 delivered for the pair, or a set of lowering springs for roughly the same......

Edited by octyal

I'll probably just have to live with it at the moment as funds are tight.  The car itself was only £420 - but great value.  It feels great in the corners - there is a roundabout on the way home where I get to the apex and boost off in third down the exit and it feels nice and tight there.  There is also a sort of corkscrewing shimmy I can feel under acceleration going uphill - accompanied by an apparent loudness - (as mentioned above) - I'm wondering if this is an engine mount(s) allowing some movement and some stress on the exhaust?

But what am I on about?  £420 for a comfortable economical and pretty fast motor with a few battle scars is hard to beat!!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all, a bit of an update on this.  So, yes, all nice and quiet after arb bushes and drop links fitted, but steering wheel out of line, so got the tracking done. Got it back, steering wheel back straight, but mild knock back again, which has got worse again over the last couple of days and almost back to how it was???

What is going on? Ok, so the kit was only £20, but I wouldn't expect it to knacker out in 2/3 days?

Any more ideas please guys?

So more of an update.  Yesterday morning as I drove out of our village, there was a fairly loud twang when the car was barely moving - and then a fairly horrific speed related grinding noise.  I could not stop due to road conditions, but steering felt fine, brakes were working, so I drove on carefully, until I was able to pull into a side turning.  As I turned in, there was a similar twang noise - and then all the grinding stopped.  Everything felt fine, and no issues since - and - the knocking that had come back - has now gone again?  This is all a bit weird - any thoughts - aside from the car being haunted !!!

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, TheGoldenOne said:

So more of an update.  Yesterday morning as I drove out of our village, there was a fairly loud twang when the car was barely moving - and then a fairly horrific speed related grinding noise.  I could not stop due to road conditions, but steering felt fine, brakes were working, so I drove on carefully, until I was able to pull into a side turning.  As I turned in, there was a similar twang noise - and then all the grinding stopped.  Everything felt fine, and no issues since - and - the knocking that had come back - has now gone again?  This is all a bit weird - any thoughts - aside from the car being haunted !!!

Snapped spring?

• Thanks 1

^ +1 on the springs, had the same happen on mine earlier this year, reversed out of a parking bay and an almighty "twang" drove the 3 miles to home and both front springs had snapped in two places

• Thanks 1

Dammit!! OK - had a cursory look under the wings at the springs on both sides and can't see any obvious snapping or issues?  Presume it would be fairly obvious if this had occurred?  Car still driving well despite the twangs ??

Hi all, still need to get this on a ramp to check out the springs!!  But - I have seen a VRS for breaking on ebay and the springs are up for a tenner.  Would these be interchangeable, without changing anything else on my car?  What impacts might a straight spring-swap have?

Thanks again all :-)

30 minutes ago, TheGoldenOne said:

Hi all, still need to get this on a ramp to check out the springs!!  But - I have seen a VRS for breaking on ebay and the springs are up for a tenner.  Would these be interchangeable, without changing anything else on my car?  What impacts might a straight spring-swap have?

Thanks again all :-)

vRS springs probably won't have the same weight capacity due to the difference in weight between the petrol and diesel lumps, plus the vRS shocks are slightly shorter due to the lowered ride height. New springs would be better TBH, and should be around the £20 each mark for a TDi.

You could try your local TPS under the 4+ parts range, or your local motor factor. Kilen, KYB (Kayaba), or Lesjofors would all be OE spec and be a good fit (have used them in the past). Do you know your engine code? if so I can get some part numbers to look for