Is it possible to retro fit Apple car play ?

Anything is possible, it just depends how deep your pockets are, you would need to replace the main controller in the glove box with a MIB2 unit with car play, these units are also security locked and can only be activated/deactivated/linked to the car by a Skoda dealer. Then there is the coding of the new unit, and given the time effort and cost with someone with apple car play in my humble opinion its really not worth it. It takes over everything you cant have the in built sat nav and messaging features of apple car play its all the car play stuff i.e phone maps etc or all the Skoda stuff, you cant mix and match. Plus it doent work over wireless you have to plug in with a wire, convenience is king and this is not convenient.

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the reply guys, it’s an early 2015 so how can I tell exactly what hardware is installed?

I don’t factory sat Nav so don’t mind the Apple car play taking over although like you have mentioned I am also not wanting to spend a fortune for something that isn’t a nessessity

9 minutes ago, s_matt said:

Thanks for the reply guys, it’s an early 2015 so how can I tell exactly what hardware is installed?

I don’t factory sat Nav so don’t mind the Apple car play taking over although like you have mentioned I am also not wanting to spend a fortune for something that isn’t a nessessity

It will be MIB1 mate - MIB2 came from MY16 onwards, think the first cars would have been from about August 2015.

Luckily mine had sat nav, although it was crap by most standards. I just had the old vent mount setup and used Waze. When it was connected via Bluetooth audio you still got the nav prompts through the speakers too. 

15 minutes ago, Yaumeister said:

One option is to go with the Pioneer Navgate Evo.

Did anyone else ever install one of these? I have been very tempted, but would like more opinions - I think the OP there is a bit biased ;)

29 minutes ago, Jaco2k said:

Did anyone else ever install one of these? I have been very tempted, but would like more opinions - I think the OP there is a bit biased ;)

Looks interesting. Just found it here for cheaper than the £899 offer https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-listing/B01MY54UYN/ref=dp_olp_new_mbc?ie=UTF8&condition=new

Yes I do have it installed by http://poollretrofits.com/. It's definitely better than the original Amusden, and bring the older car in-line with current car tech level, and as it's designed for the Octavia you have access to the car specific menu (won't get that with generic Android headset for example). It's not perfect but pretty much the only option viable available outside of retrofitting original kit, which is probably more expensive and more difficult to do.

3 hours ago, Yaumeister said:

Yes I do have it installed by http://poollretrofits.com/. It's definitely better than the original Amusden, and bring the older car in-line with current car tech level, and as it's designed for the Octavia you have access to the car specific menu (won't get that with generic Android headset for example). It's not perfect but pretty much the only option viable available outside of retrofitting original kit, which is probably more expensive and more difficult to do.

Thanks - now a couple of more specific questions:

- how is the sound quality?

- how fast are the menus/interface? Meaning: Is it fast and smooth or does it lag?

Sound quality wise it's doesn't do miracles, but for a built in 50W amp seems better than the factory system (I don't have Canton).

I use Android Auto most of the time and I'm pretty happy with the menu response, it's again not perfect all the time but no worse than the Amusden.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Yaumeister said:

Sound quality wise it's doesn't do miracles, but for a built in 50W amp seems better than the factory system (I don't have Canton).

I use Android Auto most of the time and I'm pretty happy with the menu response, it's again not perfect all the time but no worse than the Amusden.

You're not selling it to me :biggrin: I think i'll make do with the Amundsen and put the £1000 towards the next car

A bit less OEM looking, and more expensive, but bigger (9" v 7") screen, however Alpine list something similar:

https://www.alpine.co.uk/p/Products/SingleView/i902D-OC3

https://www.alpine.co.uk/p/Products/SingleView/X902D-OC3

Not sure if the difference is just TomTom maps on the "X" model, or something else.

Skoda-Octavia-3-Mobile-Media-System-i902

There's one UK stockist listing it now, when I looked a week or so ago I didn't find any, so might be a case of being new to the UK and the price coming down in future, £1400 seems a bit steep.

https://www.caraudiocentre.co.uk/product_m-alpine-i902d-oc3_p-40371.htm

Edited by uchuff

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/1/2017 at 08:10, Boundy123 said:

ChoGath(TM) 10.2 Inch Android 6.1 GPS Navigation For Skoda OCTAVIA 2016 car  Radio Bluetooth WIFI
http://s.aliexpress.com/yaIBBRRz
(from AliExpress Android)

Has any taken the plunge a stuck cheapie Chinese head unit in? 

I believe you can still access all the car menus through it

Looks like it has Waze, which I mostly use for navigation, and mirrorlinking from any Android device.

However it doesn't look to have DAB, I wouldn't fancy losing RadioX and Absolute90s to go back to local FM radio.

3 hours ago, WallMeerkat said:

Looks like it has Waze, which I mostly use for navigation, and mirrorlinking from any Android device.

However it doesn't look to have DAB, I wouldn't fancy losing RadioX and Absolute90s to go back to local FM radio.

I agree as I like the two radio stations, but I am lucky enough to live in an area where radio x is on fm.  Alternatively you could stream their internet radio stations to the head unit instead of dab (I know it will cost, but it is an alternative).