1.9TDI LOSS OFF POWER

Jaztdi

My 2003 fabia 1.9tdi has encountered a sudden loss off power. There are no warning lights or error codes. It has 106,000 on the clock. Last week was the first time the fuel warning light came on. It has a full tank every week and since the loss of power has had a service. I have cleaned the MAF sensor today with no improvement. I was told when I bought it that it has been remapped. It had PLENTY of power previous to this problem. Now it feels like a 1.4. Anyone have any solutions I can try myself? I have read about replacing the MAF. It also seems to be drinking fuel a lot faster. It usually does 55-69 mpg.

2 hours ago, Jaztdi said:

My 2003 fabia 1.9tdi has encountered a sudden loss off power. There are no warning lights or error codes. It has 106,000 on the clock. Last week was the first time the fuel warning light came on. It has a full tank every week and since the loss of power has had a service. I have cleaned the MAF sensor today with no improvement. I was told when I bought it that it has been remapped. It had PLENTY of power previous to this problem. Now it feels like a 1.4. Anyone have any solutions I can try myself? I have read about replacing the MAF. It also seems to be drinking fuel a lot faster. It usually does 55-69 mpg.

Whats your secret to achieving those mpg figures! I struggle to get 52 in a PD130

Could be the fuel filter if that wasn't changed at the service. 

MAF seems most likely. Try unplugging it and taking it for a spin and see if it feels any different. 

44 minutes ago, clarendon462 said:

Whats your secret to achieving those mpg figures! I struggle to get 52 in a PD130

Could be the fuel filter if that wasn't changed at the service. 

MAF seems most likely. Try unplugging it and taking it for a spin and see if it feels any different. 

It will be the remap. Eco driving helps usually caused by slow traffic ha. Will it not do damage unplugging the sensor?

I’ve had 70mpg cruising through Holland and did ~1200 miles on a tank and 3/4 :biggrin: Never been close to that I’m the uk though. 

Unplugging the MAF will not do it any damage, but the car may react differently when you do unplug it. This is a good test to check if it’s goosed. 

7 minutes ago, jars said:

I’ve had 70mpg cruising through Holland and did ~1200 miles on a tank and 3/4 :biggrin: Never been close to that I’m the uk though. 

Unplugging the MAF will not do it any damage, but the car may react differently when you do unplug it. This is a good test to check if it’s goosed. 

Yeh it's good on fuel. Thanks I will give it a go

11 minutes ago, sepulchrave said:

One of the analogue sensors is failing, MAF, ECT or Fuel temperature, you may have finished the MAF off by trying to clean it, it's kill or cure.

I have just took it for a spin with the MAF sensor unplugged and it was exactly the same

That would indicate your maf is faulty i think

if i disconnect mine and drive it feels exactly like my old 1.2 60bhp fabia

Regarding the fuel economy, ive had mine economy remapped and it improved from about 45mpg but im not seeing any more than 52 driving very economically and carefully in steady moving traffic (55mph ish)

The only way ive ever seen 60 mpg is by resetting the computer once up to speed on a nice flat road with no inclines. 

1 hour ago, clarendon462 said:

That would indicate your maf is faulty i think

if i disconnect mine and drive it feels exactly like my old 1.2 60bhp fabia

Regarding the fuel economy, ive had mine economy remapped and it improved from about 45mpg but im not seeing any more than 52 driving very economically and carefully in steady moving traffic (55mph ish)

The only way ive ever seen 60 mpg is by resetting the computer once up to speed on a nice flat road with no inclines. 

Think I'm going to have to get one and hope for the best.

I'm not sure about the mpg then. I have heard about super market fuel being bad, don't have one near me so fill up at esso, shell, bp. Maybe that makes a difference

On the fuel economy I have a 1.9tdi elegance hatch with 131,000 mls and I easily get 50 -55mpg....and I don't drive like a granny!!  On longer runs I can get more if driving steady.

3 hours ago, Jaztdi said:

Think I'm going to have to get one and hope for the best.

I'm not sure about the mpg then. I have heard about super market fuel being bad, don't have one near me so fill up at esso, shell, bp. Maybe that makes a difference

Diesel is diesel, it won't affect the performance of the car, posh diesel contains extra cleaning additives to help prevent injector clogging.

I drove 30 miles to work today and the temp gauge did not move off 0. Any more ideas? Maybe it is the ect. It also starts first time but struggles, with a bit of white smoke

Edited by Jaztdi

7 minutes ago, Jaztdi said:

I drove 30 miles to work today and the temp gauge did not move off 0. Any more ideas? Maybe it is the ect

I would say its definitely the sensor, even with a fully open thermostat ti would have moved a little bit in 30 miles.

What did you clean your MAF with?

5 hours ago, SuperbTWM said:

I would say its definitely the sensor, even with a fully open thermostat ti would have moved a little bit in 30 miles.

What did you clean your MAF with?

I used electrical contact cleaner