I'm in the same boat. Activated both in VCDS then enabled them on the Maxidot, but it's done nothing. 

How involved is fitting the auto switch and other bits? 

Not entirely sure but on vehicles without RLS you don't get the automatic CH/LH. You have to "flash" once to get them to turn on for some time.

What I can tell you for sure is it has nothing to do with the auto switch. Previously I only had the RLS and then I installed the auto switch for convenience and it made no difference to how the CH/LH works.

• Like 1

I had the same question a year ago and tried to achieve the Auto CH/LH and to no avail it didn't work as I didn't have RLS installed. You CANNOT achieve this without the supporting hardware i.e. RLS and Auto switch. 

There is an alternative to install a Ebay jobbie light sensor (which may come with auto light switch) to get it working as standard but it doesn't enable the auto wipers. Other option is to buy the hardware and install it to have a factory fit feature. 

I went for the latter and got all the hardware to have RLS in my FL VRS. Works brilliantly with Auto CH/LH and auto wipers. And for the record you need Autoswitch for the Auto CH/LH working. Otherwise it will be the manual way of enabling CH.

• 5 months later...

Sorry to drag this up, but I've fitted the ebay switch and sensor to my pfl which works fine but I would like ch/lh lights. Could anyone help me with the sequence of turns to activate it please? 

Just for completeness, on my 2012 facelift model I have rain and light sensor as standard. I activated coming home lights using the Carista Ap (I don't have maxidot). As was said above, you command the lights using a flash on the light stalk.

The app allows you to choose how long the lights are on for (timer starts when you open the door) and gives you a choice of using dipped headlights or fog lights.

Leaving home lights are not possible.

Incidently, cars of that age are equipped with daytime running lights but shipped from the factory not activated. I activated my DRLs using the same app. You can then turn the DRLs on or off at will by using the procedure shown in the handbook.

The app also lets you activate cornering lights using the latest version.

18 hours ago, Chrishrvs said:

Sorry to drag this up, but I've fitted the ebay switch and sensor to my pfl which works fine but I would like ch/lh lights. Could anyone help me with the sequence of turns to activate it please? 

Don't think you can if the light sensor you have is attached to the light switch as the car is unable to see it, it will only work as you want it to with a factory RLS, 

I managed to activate ch/lh light on my previous car without RLS but I could only get leaving home to work but it always did it even when not dark so was soon deactivated. 

• 2 years later...

Anyone get this fully working? I've activated CH/LH lights in VCDS, tried it with the fog lights as well but still nothing. I've retrofitted maxidot and got the lights and vision menu, activated it via that but again nothing. Is it possible? I don't like the idea of having to replace the windscreen, don't want this feature that much haha 

16 minutes ago, MetalMedic said:

Anyone get this fully working? I've activated CH/LH lights in VCDS, tried it with the fog lights as well but still nothing. I've retrofitted maxidot and got the lights and vision menu, activated it via that but again nothing. Is it possible? I don't like the idea of having to replace the windscreen, don't want this feature that much haha 

Why would you need to replace the windscreen?

Seen another thread saying you need to replace the windscreen to have the correct fitting for the sensor or something like that. I know people have fitted aftermarket auto lights and not had to replace the windscreen

It may just be due to the sun shade mask.

Fit the sensor temporarily, mark externally, remove sensor and scrape shade off with razor.

The only way is to have a RLS wired properly into the car. The car has to be able to receive information from the sensor.

I believe the cheap eBay auto light switches are basically a light switch with an external light sensor which just triggers the switch to turn on the headlights. As far as the car is concerned there is still a standard light switch fitted. Since again the proper auto light switch has an additional wire for the auto position and tells the car that auto is turned on which then uses the info from the RLS to determine when to turn the lights on.