Am I being stupid? Coding

HWolfy

Before anyone wishes to shoot me, I have searched for a thread on this but I cannot find one.

Anyway, this is probably a stupid question but is it possible to code the ECU so my headlights/sidelights turn on when I unlock my car l, if I have left the switch on? I know that sidelights stay on without the keys in the ignition. If it is even possible to do this and it is fairly easy then it is something I wish to do. If it requires loads of fiddling then I can live without it, just saw my mate's mk5 golf gt tdi switch on it's headlights when he unlocked it the other night and wondered if it's something I could do on my vRS.

Thank you in advance

Cant be done with VCDS, i know ive seen a module you can get which allows your sidelights to come on with the interior lights when you unlock the car but requires messing about with wiring

it was @korban who did it i think

Edited by clarendon462

18 minutes ago, hutchysrs50 said:

Can’t be done without adding a module. Can buy vw ones but I made a skoda one for mine.

0_F752_C29-2_EB4-4_ABD-92_BC-51_E11_B82_

What do I require for this? Have you taken the skods faceplate and put the vw light switch in it?

4 hours ago, sepulchrave said:

Nope.

Why would you want to? The interior lights should come on and all the indicators flash when you unlock.

He told you why! He saw it on his mate's Golf. Try reading the whole post! 

hutchy that that is a great idea, looks great with the chrome style switch on it.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, del-gti said:

He told you why! He saw it on his mate's Golf. Try reading the whole post! 

hutchy that that is a great idea, looks great with the chrome style switch on it.

Hey I answered the question accurately, I'm allowed to ask in return!

• Like 1

It does require a bit of faffing, including pulling the headling down, removing the interior light and soldering in the wires, pulling out the lift switch and attaching wires to the appropriate connectors and wiring to the fuse box. 

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, jars said:

It does require a bit of faffing, including pulling the headling down, removing the interior light and soldering in the wires, pulling out the lift switch and attaching wires to the appropriate connectors and wiring to the fuse box. 

Great work :)

• Like 1

9 hours ago, jars said:

Thank you so much for your help, I will order a few things shortly and see if I can manage it

My advice would be the not use scotch lock to connect the wires behind the headlight switch. There isn’t a lot of room behind there and does make it a PITA to get it all back in. 

In hindsite, I would solder the wires together and heat shrink them, although I’ve not had any issues with breaks in the connections. 

A6A1B99F-BE00-4630-9D91-44C4821ECA1B.jpeg

34700468-C7D1-4C9C-8E11-58BA3618EBD6.jpeg

Edited by jars