Velvet Red

I asked a question about the new Velvet Red metallic paint on a couple of other threads here, but feel it deserves it's own dedicated thread.

I can't find any photos of cars with the paint, presumably as it is brand new or something.

This would be for an Octavia VRS 245

The colour is available on the configurator page on the Skoda website. I understand it's about £725.

I finally found a dealership that had the colour on their colour guide balls, or wehatever they are called.

I'm hoping the quality of this photo is good enough.

I'm not convinced it is that much different from the standard Corrida red. 

I'm trying to picture it with the black wheels and trim, but not sure how well they'd go together.

Any thoughts?

20171106_132023.jpg

On ‎7‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 07:26, Aston100 said:

I asked a question about the new Velvet Red metallic paint on a couple of other threads here, but feel it deserves it's own dedicated thread.

I can't find any photos of cars with the paint, presumably as it is brand new or something.

This would be for an Octavia VRS 245

The colour is available on the configurator page on the Skoda website. I understand it's about £725.

I finally found a dealership that had the colour on their colour guide balls, or wehatever they are called.

I'm hoping the quality of this photo is good enough.

I'm not convinced it is that much different from the standard Corrida red. 

I'm trying to picture it with the black wheels and trim, but not sure how well they'd go together.

Any thoughts?

20171106_132023.jpg

If you can be bothered scrolling through the "Post your Mk3 Octavia photos" thread I'm pretty sure a member posted pics earlier this year of his velvet red Octavia.  Personally, I reckon his one looks quite cool - it's certainly different.  And your plan of running black rims and trim would make it look even better, IMHO.  I say "Go for it - be a bit different".  By the way, I have a Corrida red vRS and I love the colour :).

I have switched my order this morning from black to Velvet Red - this is on a VRs 245 estate - none of the other colours were doing anything for me but this should be reasonably rare and its a bit different

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

I have a velvet red and whilst it looks great on my karoq I agree with previous posts. It is nothing like the example on the ball in the dealership and much more like the corrida red. Also it has no metallic look. I would describe it as a solid red.  I have not seen it on another car to compare. If I was told there had been an error in the spray shop and in fact it is corrida red I would believe it!  I would advise anyone about to choose velvet red to see it on a car before you order.

I have Velvet Red on a Karoq. It looks good in the sun, but as Driveucrazy says it doesn't really look like a metallic. You can see a metallic fleck in close-up but from a distance it does look more like a solid. I don't really understand why it is so much more money. On the Karoq Edition, metallic paint is standard but Velvet Red is an extra £325. I have an Octavia Scout on order and I spec'd Corrida Red as it's £695 cheaper. I've been at the dealers on a dull day and you don't see a lot of difference. I would also say it's absolutely nothing like Rio Red. It'll probably sell well around the Med as it does need a lot of sunshine.

I have a FL VRS in Velvet Red.  It looks good, but I have to agree I was expecting it to be slightly darker (like the stock images on the web), and a bit more metallic.  I was expecting a hint of burgundy to be in there.  It does also depend on the light on how good it looks.  I didn't like the Corrida Red or Black, or White so Velvet Red was the only option!

I think the cost has something to do with the fact that red paint in the most expensive to produce because it uses more colours/pigments to produce the red.

Hi bowdie , you have better eyesight than me, I might need a trip to opticians. I cannot see any metallic in my paint. My friend (a VW / Skoda diehard ) scrutinised my paint this morning and concluded it was solid red. 

I am a new member and as a matter of interest does anyone from Skoda UK follow these postings and comment. I would love to hear their opinion.

I have seen a Velvet Red Karoq in the dealer, and I really like it.  Reminds me of the Seat "Desire Red", and it was definitely metallic and a deeper colour than the Fire Engine (Corrida) Red.  I've also seen one on a photo of a Octy VRS Estate that was for sale, and it looked really nice on that with the 19" Extremes (I was seriously tempted by that purchase!)

I stand by my comments on colour, but having examined close up of velvet red in bright sunlight it is most certainly metallic. I suspect the top clear coat is quite thick and masks the metallic in lower light. In fact if you get the right angle to the sun the flecks actually ‘ twinkle’. And no I have not had a drop to drink!