Is there a better all round car than a Octavia 1.4 TFSI DSG?

3 minutes ago, Narpoman said:

My niece just bought a new one. Front OK but I didn't attempt to get in the back and I am no Giant. The boot ? Her handbag fitted easily. Nice car though.

Oh I assume you mean the A1, in that case I agree with all the points you make, plus it's stupidly slow. I just have it until my Octavia 245 arrives. It can't come quick enough lol

43 minutes ago, Famous_Afro_Jay said:

Oh I assume you mean the A1, in that case I agree with all the points you make, plus it's stupidly slow. I just have it until my Octavia 245 arrives. It can't come quick enough lol

Could have had a taste if you'd made the Meon Hut meet Jay

It's a funny question, define better all rounder.  I'd argue my Diesel vRS Estate DSG is a better all rounder which is why I have it, but then I'm sure you can also argue why the 1.4 petrol is better!!

Tony will argue the 245 is better, but then Tony likes to argue.

Edited by mk4gtiturbo
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, ahenners said:

Except range.

Not the ideal answer if the question is a long drive.

Actually owning an electric car, my experience me range anxiety is a myth. Especially compared to fuel-up anxiety, where you have to guess how many miles to fill up and stress when stuck in traffic. 

1. Most of the time people don't drive very far (home charging) 

2. Car sat-nav takes care of finding a charge station along very long routes 

3. Stuck in traffic doesn't make fuel efficiency do a nose dive 

That's my experience driving a 24kWh 80 miles Leaf during a 300 miles trip. Tesla Model S has minimal 60kWh and can do 200+ miles reliably. So long drives in a Tesla is a lot more enjoyable than any internal combustion engine cars. 

13 minutes ago, wyx087 said:

Actually owning an electric car, my experience me range anxiety is a myth. Especially compared to fuel-up anxiety, where you have to guess how many miles to fill up and stress when stuck in traffic. 

That's my experience driving a 24kWh 80 miles Leaf during a 300 miles trip. Tesla Model S has minimal 60kWh and can do 200+ miles reliably. So long drives in a Tesla is a lot more enjoyable than any internal combustion engine cars. 

What he said

1 hour ago, wyx087 said:

What is fuel up anxiety? I've never heard of this or experienced it. It's pretty easy to see how many miles are left in the tank on most modern cars' trip computer and fill up in advance of getting anywhere close to 0.

Combustion engine cars also have features where you can be directed to nearby petrol stations or ones on route. The Octavia is capable of this.

Being stuck in traffic doesn't necessarily ruin the economy disastrously, especially on cars with start stop.

A 300 mile trip in a Leaf would require at least 2 stops/charges along the way? Most sensible modern combustion engine cars can easily manage that without stopping and waiting for charges to finish. Many will even do the return without needing any top up either.

How are long drives in a Tesla more enjoyable than a combustion engine car? With a range of 200-300 miles, a long distance trip is going to need more careful planning than something non-electric. If your destination is further than the range, then plan in a stop, plus time wasted sitting around waiting for a charge to complete. Most hotels don't have dedicated charging points and the ones that do only have a couple. What if your hotel doesn't have one? What if they are in use when you get there? And whilst we're on the subject of what ifs, what if you get home but don't have a drive and can't park to charge outside your house?

Tesla Model S money puts you into some nice big diesel luxobarges with all the refinement you could want, a nicer interior (model S materials + finish lacking for £60k+) and a 500+ mile range.

I'm not against electric cars or a hater, the Model S is pretty incredible for its performance etc. (I've been in a colleague's). For shorter stuff Electric does make sense, but we're still far from being able to go all electric.

Anyway, back on topic... Octavia 1.4 still beats Tesla Model S on range and therefore Model S is not better in every way.

Edited by ahenners

Having spent 3-1/2 years in a 1.4 TSI Elegance I know what point you are making HOWEVER & yes its a big however

That rear torture beam suspension kinda took the shine off a good car for me. Now my new 245 is everything anyone could ever want, true it isn't very frugal but, in the smiles per miles category is Fn light-years ahead of the 1.4

41 minutes ago, ahenners said:

Being stuck in traffic doesn't necessarily ruin the economy disastrously, especially on cars with start stop.

Is that really a plus point you want to advertise? The noise, shutter, and non-smooth way VAG engines do stop/start.

Everything you said is stuff you've seen on paper. You've no idea how the range is a non-issue on 200+ miles EV's.

I would have a Golf over the Octavia any day, I find the build quality better in general and its quieter.

The Octavia is probably better value for money though, and offers a bit more room.

9 minutes ago, wyx087 said:

Is that really a plus point you want to advertise? The noise, shutter, and non-smooth way VAG engines do stop/start.

Everything you said is stuff you've seen on paper. You've no idea how the range is a non-issue on 200+ miles EV's.

It's worse on the diesels, on the petrols it's pretty smooth.

Sure, everything else I mentioned is academic and not real life :dull: