Numerous problems with new Suberb

I have a new Skoda Suberb SportsLine from January 2017, the worst car I ever owned.

As it is a leasing car I'm trying to find others with the same issues to or convince the leasing to take back the car or find solutions to my problems

Does anyone have any of the following problems:

• Airconditioning not keeping the temperature under controle
    • Summer outside 25-28 °C inside 36 °C after 2 to 3 hours drive, Airco set to 19°C
    • Now authom outside 8-15 °C inside going up to 25°C after 2 to 3 hours drive and than down again to 18-19°C, Airco set to 21°C
    • Test done by the car dealer (car sitting stationary in the sun or indoors for several hours) are unable to reproduce the problem
  • Navigation system driving you straight into a traffic jam
    • If you try to go around it (manually) it tries to get you back into the traffic jam
  • Wisseling noise in the doors
    • Was already the case the first day I had the car
    • The garage tuned one of the doors and it was better (not gone)
    • Now again the noise came back --> Again tuning the doors?
  • Settings of the car system changing without manual actions
    • Headlights switch from right driving to left driving (when starting or stopping the car)
    • Distance to car in front (Cruise Controle) resets to default, where setting in options is set to remain last setting
    • Preselects of the audio system under DAB all gone, FM settings where still OK
  • Tire pressure message (real left) but tires have normal pressure
    • Message appeared but all tires have exactly the same pressure
  • Engine Power is not transferred quickly to the wheels
    • I'm driving an automatic shifting car (DGS)
    • When switching gears you feel the care loosing power but hear the engine is producing more power
    • After (feeling) 3 seconds you feel the car picking up speed an power again
  • Adaptive cruise controle coming to close to the car in front
    • When a slower car is detected in front my car keeps speeding towards the car in front
    • Very late my car slows down to detect it came to close to the car in front (according distance configured)
    • Following the cars slows down even more to restore the distance
  • Need to fill-up the oil each 14.000 km?
    • I never owned a car that needed to fill-up oil in between services (30.000 km)
    • How can a modern car that should be eco friendly use this many oil --> Polution
  • Fatige sensor questionable
    • The sensor has warned me 2 times that it was time to stop and take a rest
    • Both times where in the morning after a drive of about 2 to 3 hours
    • I drive each week 2 to 3 times for 4 to 5 hours straight for work, never ever have I had a warning.
    • At the 2 times it warned me I was not tired at all, I have drive afterwards under conditions where I was much more tired (still able to drive a care safely)
    • Does anyone have expirience that this sensor is working correctly or is this just a money spender
  • Cup holder
    • The cup holder is not big enough to hold a standard can of soda drink, only small bottles or cups can fit into it

Any feedback of whoever expierianced any of these issues is well appreciated.

My car dealer is not supporting and claims that nothing of this is true

On 11/11/2017 at 16:02, Stefan710 said:

the worst car I ever owned

+1, open link in my signature

or with Google Translate

https://www.drive2.com/r/skoda/480808189562978872/

On 11/11/2017 at 16:02, Stefan710 said:

Navigation system driving you straight into a traffic jam

never expected any built in system can be compared to Waze or GoogleMap online

Columbus 8" were chosen just cause bigger screen - 6 radio stations vs 5

car also isn't safe environment for children,
what if some yong passanger will swallow small parts which aren't mounted enough serious
https://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/426372-rear-passenger-air-vent-part-number/?do=findComment&comment=4952948

I had a 2003 Superb I owned from 18months for a further 10 years  - great reliable car , original clutch, battery & exhaust after 160k miles (indeed after 200k under new ownership)

I've got a 2014 Superb II - thus far absolutely no faults / issues, saying that it has very few of the toys mentioned. No oil between services (I've specified 10k miles though), manual air con is like a fridge

I've been thinking of a MKIII myself but such reports worry me - is every one else having issues? Saying that I'm wondering about the Karoq(1.5tsi) , never had a Yeti as the boot was toooooo small

Edited by bigjohn

British Leyland used to have "Friday" cars, must be one of those.

Sat nav will only take you round a traffic jam IF it knows about it and IF there is a quicker alternate route.  Mine takes me into the traffic jam that is the M5(J3-1) each evening because it is still the quickest route home.

If it is a petrol engine some VAG cars are notorious for oil usage if not run in correctly - some reported use up to 1l per 1000 miles

H&V on the previous Octavia once had one side on high regardless of settings, again restart fixed it. 

Can a loose -ve lead on the battery cause systems to default all the time?

Have had mine since April and have only had xenons sitting low (corrected after restart).  On experience so far I would have another.

On 2017.11.11. at 16:02, Stefan710 said:

Need to fill-up the oil each 14.000 km?

• I never owned a car that needed to fill-up oil in between services (30.000 km)
  • How can a modern car that should be eco friendly use this many oil --> Polution

mine asks 1l on each 8 000km
but in case i don't believe in such long intervals, given by producer to kill faster your car,
first change i made on 6 000km and all next every 10 000Km

in DSG6 going to change on 40 instead 60

On 11/11/2017 at 14:02, Stefan710 said:

I have a new Skoda Suberb SportsLine from January 2017, the worst car I ever owned.

As it is a leasing car I'm trying to find others with the same issues to or convince the leasing to take back the car or find solutions to my problems

Does anyone have any of the following problems:

• Airconditioning not keeping the temperature under controle
    • Summer outside 25-28 °C inside 36 °C after 2 to 3 hours drive, Airco set to 19°C
    • Now authom outside 8-15 °C inside going up to 25°C after 2 to 3 hours drive and than down again to 18-19°C, Airco set to 21°C
    • Test done by the car dealer (car sitting stationary in the sun or indoors for several hours) are unable to reproduce the problem
  • Navigation system driving you straight into a traffic jam
    • If you try to go around it (manually) it tries to get you back into the traffic jam
  • Wisseling noise in the doors
    • Was already the case the first day I had the car
    • The garage tuned one of the doors and it was better (not gone)
    • Now again the noise came back --> Again tuning the doors?
  • Settings of the car system changing without manual actions
    • Headlights switch from right driving to left driving (when starting or stopping the car)
    • Distance to car in front (Cruise Controle) resets to default, where setting in options is set to remain last setting
    • Preselects of the audio system under DAB all gone, FM settings where still OK
  • Tire pressure message (real left) but tires have normal pressure
    • Message appeared but all tires have exactly the same pressure
  • Engine Power is not transferred quickly to the wheels
    • I'm driving an automatic shifting car (DGS)
    • When switching gears you feel the care loosing power but hear the engine is producing more power
    • After (feeling) 3 seconds you feel the car picking up speed an power again
  • Adaptive cruise controle coming to close to the car in front
    • When a slower car is detected in front my car keeps speeding towards the car in front
    • Very late my car slows down to detect it came to close to the car in front (according distance configured)
    • Following the cars slows down even more to restore the distance
  • Need to fill-up the oil each 14.000 km?
  • Fatige sensor questionable
    • The sensor has warned me 2 times that it was time to stop and take a rest
    • Both times where in the morning after a drive of about 2 to 3 hours
    • I drive each week 2 to 3 times for 4 to 5 hours straight for work, never ever have I had a warning.
    • At the 2 times it warned me I was not tired at all, I have drive afterwards under conditions where I was much more tired (still able to drive a care safely)
    • Does anyone have expirience that this sensor is working correctly or is this just a money spender
  • Cup holder
    • The cup holder is not big enough to hold a standard can of soda drink, only small bottles or cups can fit into it

Any feedback of whoever expierianced any of these issues is well appreciated.

My car dealer is not supporting and claims that nothing of this is true

I'll answer some of these one at a time.

Air con.

Does it happen all the time? Have you been there when the dealers have checked it? It sounds like there is a loss of the air conditioning gas, which could be a damaged pipe, which may be damage rather than a faulty part.

Navigation

If the sat nav does not know there is a traffic jam, then it will try to put you back on the same route or it could have happened to recently for the system to find out.  It might know there is one but that is still the quickest option if it is shown on the tmc or internet traffic reports. 

The navigation system is only as intelligent as the information it is given to work with. It's not faulty 

Whistling noise.

It could be a faulty seal or the windows not fully up.

Settings 

Some people have lost dab settings once or twice. Have you tried resetting the infotainment unit?

Tyre pressure

Not had the message myself. Does it come back after storing the tyre pressures at again?

Dsg

This sounds like two things working together.  Firstly power loss with engine revs going up is what happens when you change gear as it's when the clutch is released. Also there is known throttle lag with the gas pedal. It's just how it's programmed. 

There could also be a problem with the software if it does take as long as you say.  That would be something for a garage to look at.

Cruise control

Most of that would depend on how fast you are going compared to the car in front. The radar in front will only go so far otherwise it will interfere with other cars.

Oil.

It depends on how the car is run in, also bag engines have been known for using some oil. 

Fatigue sensor.

It's doing what it should.  Yes you may drive for 4 hours without a break, and so have I, but to stay fully alert it is recommended to take a 20 min break every 2 hours. It is just reminding you of this. You can turn it of in the infotainment unit.

Cup holder.

It's the same size as the one I used to have in my Octavia and it holds cans fine. They can't have different sizes for every sort of can.

The problem I have is that the superb does not come with a place for small bottles of orange juice or cans of drink like red bull which the Octavia did have, but this meant that you could not fit anything else.

11 hours ago, bigjohn said:

I've been thinking of a MKIII myself but such reports worry me - is every one else having issues?

It's usual for these car fora to highlight user complaints, though there are certainly fewer issues here than on the Alfa Romeo site I used to visit. My year-old Sportline demo had 1,700 miles on it when I brought it home – put on by who knows how many drivers. It has over 7K miles on it now, and no issues at all, except for a minor, intermittent buzzing noise from the box by the rear view mirror. Also, I've spent £200 on a gizmo that banishes the throttle lag that I preferred not to live with. I think this MkIII Superb is an excellent automobile. I originally intended to drive it for three years, then buy something flashier, but it is growing on me. I love everything about it, except its length, but I'm slowly getting to grips with that, too.

• Like 1

I would agree with Freelunch. I am on my second S3, the first a 150TDI dsg, the current one a 220TSI dsg. Both L&K spec. The build quality on both was acceptable and I haven't had any significant problems with either vehicle.

I do have a logged and checked concern about the dsg box on the 220 which 'whines' in 2nd/3rd around 1700 rpm. However, the dealer has said 'no problem' at the moment but agreed to record the check for future reference (just in case!).

I had the wind noise from the drivers door (right hand side in UK) which was easily corrected. There is still some buffeting noise but no worse than other cars such as Merc and Jag that we have driven in the recent past. The road noise from the tyres is much more of an annoyance. Pirelli!

I don't use the stop/start for reasons other than the reported concern. I never noticed early cut out and especially not when making a rolling entry at slower speed. However I have to say the Skoda version is much better than my wife's Volvo V40. 

I had to hard reset the infotainment just once when it suddenly decided that we were in Dussledorf and refused to change (some 1000 miles from our actual location).

I also found that it took me quite a while to fathom which default settings I wanted to change and the impact of my decisions on other settings. For example, the dynamic/adaptive light settings don't operate when in rain or fog mode or when on the continent where the drive on the right setting is on.   I do wonder with some of the faults reported on here whether the owner has 'sussed' all that out.

So some have had some bad luck with their cars but we have little idea of what % of cars sold have such problems; I doubt it is a significant figure. If we accept that Skoda reports 10,173 Superb 3 were registered in 2016. I would then ask myself how many people have posted on here about faults on 2016 cars?  

• Like 2

Unfortunately there is the (aforementioned) Friday cars or just a Lemon.... Electrical system are really complicated beasts and are 98‰ reliable from the manufacturer but there is always that 2% that are not... 

Air-conditioning... Sounds definitely like a faulty part along the way it maybe be worth having checked independently if the dealers answer isn't the root cause you were hoping for. 

Columbus Sat-Nav this is the sole reason why I don't use it..and will continue to use Google Maps.. Both have their foibles but generally a third party app is always going to be better than the manufacturers offerings . The inbuilt Sat nav is horrible to use when your used to Google maps and Android Auto and know how to get the best out of it by tinkering and Dev mode and using voice commands that actually work... Why would you not continue using something that really doesn't distract your driving.. Clean and simple.... 

Whistling noise - can't  comment and how do you tune a door? 

Fatigue system - the most pointless warning ever

The lane assist message that it thinks you've fallen asleep is also infuriating at times but is an wanted function that could save your life.... You never know 

Cruise Control - the only thing it's not too clever of is reacting too harshly on the brakes when a baffoon decided to just pull in front you into a gap they really shouldn't be in... I usually deactivated the ACC let gap increase and re-engage.. I've learnt to preempt this now.  I also tend to do the last bit of braking myself.... 

Oil Change - The indicator on my car says 2000 miles before an oil change... So I shall do its bidding.. I would say change every year when serviced and if your a high miler do it more regularly.... Most garages will charge you peanuts to do a quick check if your unsure

Cupholder - Superb Mk2 had tiny cup holders and the Mk3 is the same. It will fit a standard size cans in but does struggle with most travel mugs for the morning brew in the traffic... It would have been better with 2 big rather than 3 small just to have the ability to open bottles with 1 hand... 

TPMS - it's a cheaper sensor on the ABS  rather a dedicated one that goes on the internal of the wheel itself... It could be a faulty sensor... It randomly came on a few times for me and I checked the tyre pressures and all seemed okay.. I checked the 3rd time and the drivers tyre nearly flat due to a nail in the side wall... As the sensor detects changes in the tyres shape whilst spinning (I think) maybe it had already noticed something was a miss..Anyway the previous 2 times I checked it was because of the drivers tyre flagging an issue. It potentially could have saved me a nasty accident but it did make me spend £160 on a new tyre.... 

Also worth noting that if the battery has been disconnected for testing at service / routine checks it defaults to standard so doesn't remember what was last saved  when stationary go into the menu and set the tyre pressures.. I think the dedicated button on the mk2 was a better solution..... 

DSG - I have a few concerns with mine such as a buzz when at low revs and speeds.... and the phantom coasting mode... Usual in E mode it will coast up until you press the brake pedal... Then it remains in gear until you ask it to coast. Sometimes I'll brake and it will just keep going back into coasting mode even if I haven't touched the accelerator yet... Not seen this one documented before... And it happens now and again.. It happened today on the way home from work which when going down hill towards stationary traffic, you slowed down and the car is in second and you think you are slowing down gradually only to realise it's gone into to coasting mode and your building speed as it's on a downhill road so I have to slow using the brakes

Pretty sure it should not come back on, on it owns untill I've engaged the accelerator and let go again and when the speed is above 10mph (I think). Sounds software related to me... The buzz is hopefully a loose something or other and it can be tracked down (some pipes under the dash seems to come up now and again in posts) or it be something more serious.. But the warranty will cover that one.... Hopefully... Eeek.... 

Sorry that was a longer reply than I first intended... Lol...

Edited by Zenbasses
Spelling mistakes