Variable service query

I must say I’ve found JC Aberdeen very difficult to deal with. Apart from anything else, it’s pretty difficult to  actually get to speak to anybody other than the receptionist. And the service manager doesn’t fill me with confidence! But they do wash and hoover out the car every time I go there:biggrin:

Edited by nicknorman
  • Haha 1

Perfect, you have family there and Victoria Garage highly recommended.

When the V&A opens in Dundee then you know you can go there if you fancy and leave the car in safe hands up the road.

PS

Vacuum the car, no Hoover....

As to washing, ahhhhhhh

Edited by AwaoffSki

1 minute ago, AwaoffSki said:

Perfect, you have family there and Victoria Garage highly recommended.

When the V&A opens in Dundee then you know you can go there if you fancy and leave the car in safe hands up the road.

I don’t like Dundee, it annoys me that their town planners are so much better than Aberdeen:wondering:

Right, I decided to splash out a whole 8 euros for an hour on ERWIN. Well worth it, I downloaded lots of stuff eg the official process for changing the Haldex oil, and DSG oil and filter, spark plugs etc. And lots of other stuff including about the variable servicing calculations which don't have any clever oil condition sensors, just a calculation based on oil temperature, how hard the engine is working etc. And of course the horse's mouth on servicing intervals for the bits and pieces on my MY 2016 280 TSI.

So according to Skoda it is:

Oil and filter change in accordance with the service interval display

2 years for the dust/pollen filters.

3 years for the Haldex.

60, 000km (40k miles) for the DSG.

First 3 years then every 2 years for the brake fluid.

4 years or 60,000 km for the spark plugs

6 years alarm power supply (battery?)

6 years or 90,000km clean air filter housing and replace air filter (seems like a long interval to me!)

For the polyvee belt, its a bit odd because there are two sections, one for up to MY2016 and one for MY2017 and beyond. The belt doesn't feature in the 2016 list, but in the 2017 list it says replace at 60000km.

Oh and of course you get to see the TPIs, there was one about my Haldex pump that failed - there is a modified pump which they've installed.

Edited by nicknorman

On 23/11/2017 at 23:08, rtj70 said:

After only 600 miles (mostly local and little motorway) the oil service is due in 14600 miles (down a fair few thousand from new) and 551 days but the inspection service is 19300 miles and 662 days.

After doing a 430 mile journey (mostly motorways) at the weekend, the oil service is now showing as 17400 miles and 674 days.  The inspection service is now 659 days (a simple countdown). The oil change service changes it's estimate over time and depends on driving conditions etc. :)

I have decided to go with http://www.ivcleeds.co.uk

My car was registered in 11/15

Was serviced at 8100miles in 4/16 marked as interval service 

I bought the car in 7/17 and it had racked up the miles on long motorway journeys to cover 22k....

Car was not serviced before I picked it up as promised and the garage was in Southampton and I live in Leeds so it was not practical to go back.. So yeah they compensated me accordingly.

Car has done 25k now and the computer says 521 days till service... Which is just ludicrous for a car that has covered some hefty milage in 2016

Oil change is due in 900miles and is going in on Sat for its 2nd service... IVC have quoted me £165.. Which I am a happy with. 

They said they will check all the filters etc etc as per normal and advise to their state. 

I am then going to go on to a annual cycle for peace of mind and just ignore the variable oil/service indicator all together... 

It'll continue to be serviced at IVC as they are a great bunch and will just take their advice as I am far from an expert. 

40 minutes ago, Zenbasses said:

I have decided to go with http://www.ivcleeds.co.uk

My car was registered in 11/15

Was serviced at 8100miles in 4/16 marked as interval service 

I bought the car in 7/17 and it had racked up the miles on long motorway journeys to cover 22k....

Car was not serviced before I picked it up as promised and the garage was in Southampton and I live in Leeds so it was not practical to go back.. So yeah they compensated me accordingly.

Car has done 25k now and the computer says 521 days till service... Which is just ludicrous for a car that has covered some hefty milage in 2016

Oil change is due in 900miles and is going in on Sat for its 2nd service... IVC have quoted me £165.. Which I am a happy with. 

They said they will check all the filters etc etc as per normal and advise to their state. 

I am then going to go on to a annual cycle for peace of mind and just ignore the variable oil/service indicator all together... 

It'll continue to be serviced at IVC as they are a great bunch and will just take their advice as I am far from an expert. 

If you don’t want to be on variable servicing you might as well ask IVC to change the setting to fixed servicing (poor oil quality) so the service indicator is useful to you - it will then give you the countdown to the annual service. There is just one adaptation, only takes a moment, or someone with VCDS can do it.

5w 40 Full Synthetic Oil VW 502 00 suitable for Fixed Service Intervals is not 'Poorer Quality' compared to 5w 30 Full Synthetic Long Life VW 504 00 for Variable / Flexible servicing.

Long Life oil to suit Fleet Managers can mean Short Life TSI's.  IMO & IME.  Great for 3 year warranties, maybe not great for private owners buying a keeper,

or those buying that ex Fleet Serviced vehicle.

As to 60,000 km (40,000 mile Spark Plug life) yes sometimes, but just because OEM (NGK) that does not mean you can not fit better plugs.

3 hours ago, AwaoffSki said:

5w 40 Full Synthetic Oil VW 502 00 suitable for Fixed Service Intervals is not 'Poorer Quality' compared to 5w 30 Full Synthetic Long Life VW 504 00 for Variable / Flexible servicing.

Long Life oil to suit Fleet Managers can mean Short Life TSI's.  IMO & IME.  Great for 3 year warranties, maybe not great for private owners buying a keeper,

or those buying that ex Fleet Serviced vehicle.

As to 60,000 km (40,000 mile Spark Plug life) yes sometimes, but just because OEM (NGK) that does not mean you can not fit better plugs.

I used the term “poor oil quality” simply because that is the VCDS adaption setting required to change the car’s service indicator from flexible to fixed servicing. Well actually it’s not, they’ve got the logic reversed so the change would be from “poor oil quality” to “good oil quality”!

Nothing wrong with 502 but perhaps 504 is better even if the oil is to be changed annually /10,000 miles?

Wow.

I'm now completely confused as to what to do.

It is my car and I do intend keeping it at least 5 -6 years.

I think for now I'll just keep an eye on the status messages re: the oil service.

5 minutes ago, DH- Leeds said:

Wow.

I'm now completely confused as to what to do.

It is my car and I do intend keeping it at least 5 -6 years.

I think for now I'll just keep an eye on the status messages re: the oil service.

If you are planning to keep it I would go for an oil change every year/10,000 miles. That’s what I’m doing, just doing an intermediate oil change myself, with the dealer doing it when the car wants it on the servicing display (set to variable).

Don't do variable on any turbo engine.  I used to do a fairly high commute mileage and the car (1.2 TSI) had its first service at 16000. The turbo expired at 26000.

I really think it needs oil changes more frequently regardless of VAG recommendation.

Previously I ran a normally aspirated diesel over a lot of miles and the oil got changed every 8 weeks. It ran faultlessly up to 170,000 before I traded it.

13 minutes ago, nicknorman said:

If you are planning to keep it I would go for an oil change every year/10,000 miles. That’s what I’m doing, just doing an intermediate oil change myself, with the dealer doing it when the car wants it on the servicing display (set to variable).

Sounds sensible perhaps but I wouldn't have a clue or any kit  :sadsmile:

1 hour ago, AwaoffSki said:

Nicknorman,

Perhaps VW 504 00 5w 30 FS LL Castrol is better on Fixed Servicing,  i would not use Castrol Long Life OIl in a TSI i own even if free and do not when it is free or cheaper than non Long Life oil.

Oh, what’s the issue with Castrol LL? I notice in the car’s handbook cover there is a little label which says “Skoda recommends Castrol Edge”. I’ve just put Mobil 1 in mine. Phew! (hopefully!).

9 hours ago, DH- Leeds said:

Sounds sensible perhaps but I wouldn't have a clue or any kit  :sadsmile:

Obviously it’s an expensive car to “get it wrong” with if you are unaccustomed to DIY, but in terms of kit you just need a screwdriver for the sump plug, a bowl to catch the oil (I use an old washing up bowl), a 32mm(IIRC) socket and ratchet for the oil filter housing, and a funnel to pour the oil in to the engine, and the old oil into used containers to take to the local recycling. Some kitchen roll for any spills.

Edited by nicknorman

Lets not beat about the Bush, it is Crap. 

Factoid, maybe a myth, is highest engine failure rates after warranty expires are German Vehicles. 

VW TSI failure rate is high, they build more good engines than bad, some of their consumables are crap and their recommendations, ie Castrol / NGK.

French Manufactures recommend TOTAL,  Japanese recommend what ever. South Korean what ever.

Re Oil removal.

Do it the VW way, suck it out then change the sump plug, draining the last of the oil.

(Not all VW ways are rubbish, some are good procedures.)

Drain off or suction off engine oil.doc

Edited by AwaoffSki

Just now, Wino said:

Sump plug ... screwdriver?

Yes. These cars have a plastic sump. The sump plug is a plastic thing, very coarse thread, seals by means of an O ring. There is a springy plastic bit which, after a couple of turns, clicks into a slot which prevents further tightening and holds the plug against rotating out. There is a slot in the plug for a flat- blade screwdriver. It ends up flush with the sump so no chance of using a spanner even if there were a hex head (there isn’t). Very easy to get in an out, hardly any force required. But you should replace the sump plug each time, they are about £4 from TPS.

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, AwaoffSki said:

Lets not beat about the Bush, it is Crap. 

Factoid, maybe a myth, is highest engine failure rates after warranty expires are German Vehicles. 

VW TSI failure rate is high, they build more good engines than bad, some of their consumables are crap and their recommendations, ie Castrol / NGK.

French Manufactures recommend TOTAL,  Japanese recommend what ever. South Korean what ever.

Re Oil removal.

Do it the VW way, suck it out then change the sump plug, draining the last of the oil.

(Not all VW ways are rubbish, some are good procedures.)

Drain off or suction off engine oil.doc

How can sucking out then draining from the sump plug be better than just draining from the sump plug? 

Nicknorman, because you are removing hot oil, 'operating temperature' so around 80*oC plus and not risking yourself, even when wearing gloves.

& if doing lots of oil changes it is just so very simple with less chance of accidents / spills. and you empty to  bottle you sucked the oil into and just the dregs come out when you remove that sump plug.

2017, times move on, H&S is a serious matter.

8 minutes ago, AwaoffSki said:

Nicknorman, because you are removing hot oil, 'operating temperature' so around 80*oC plus and not risking yourself, even when wearing gloves.

& if doing lots of oil changes it is just so very simple with less chance of accidents / spills. and you empty to  bottle you sucked the oil into and just the dregs come out when you remove that sump plug.

2017, times move on, H&S is a serious matter.

Oh I see, good for me as opposed to the car. I can certainly see the point from a garage point of view, as you say H&S is a serious matter for any employer. I’ve been doing oil changes by removing sump plugs on my cars and motorbikes since I was a tiny child (well, seems like it anyway) and now age 61. Probably too old to change my ways!

Anyway, while you are on do you think it’s a good idea to change the DSG oil /filter in between the 40k mile intervals? Just over 20k now and wondering if I should. 

It is the removing hot oil point of view.  The point of view of 'Do you want an engine flush',  or fill with cheaper oil and flush, or just remove the hot oil you already have in rather than cooler oil you have in.

I was changing oil about as long as you then, Karts, Bikes, Scrappers, good cars and crap cars.

Engines changed, oil & filters changed.

My father used to change the oil every 3,000 miles in a diesel and 6,000 in a petrol, and service a car before going from the North East to Edinburgh while having to take a Ferry or drive the longer way.

Wet Clutch DSG Oil changes are fine at 40,000 miles.

Edited by AwaoffSki