Panoramic sunroof drain, and leak.

Hi

I have an octavia 2016 with panoramic sunroof, i bought the car february this year and it has been great all the way.

But we have notice that the car have become foggy inside in the car between use, now that Norway starting to get cold.

And att the end of last week my wife came home after driving kids to handballtraining a very rainy day, (in a very rainy period) she see a pound of water on the rubbermath.

She wanted to take the math out and shake the water of, she was about to put it back then she notice that the carpet was soacing wet. 

The footwell in passanger side front and back are totaly flooded.  

She came in and told me and i went out and got a little shocked. 

Next day i used our wet wacumcleaner and sucked out 5.7 liters of water from front and rear footwell on passangerside. 

So it has rained here very very mouch lately, but i think this leak has leaked a long time.

I found that the seal on front door has water behind and between the dash up to A-pilar.

In the days after it has rained also very much, and i see fresh new vater, when i see between seal and dash.

I pour some water in the drain holes in front of the sunnroof, and water went in and away, but i dont know if it goes trough hose and to the ground  ore if  it goes straight inside the car... cause i dont know where the drain comes out from the car. 

Anyone that knows and can tell me?

Are there also other drain holes in the sunroof other than in the front? 

I have contacted my local dealer to get them to look at this, but i like to investigate some for my self also.

IMG_20170923_080531832.jpg

Edited by KennethBj

Mine has had a few leaks but I'm talking drops from the front onto the console. What is does do however (and has been in the dealer 5 times for) is the seals stick together and it makes an awful graunching noise when being opened. Maybe one of your seals has come away completely. That's over 52,000 miles BTW.

Edited by HotVRs

Hi.

How do you/dealer opening them?

Do you know where the drains/seals comes out from the car?

And if it is any drains in the rear some place?

I wonder because im thinking of insert an thin wire in the drains/tubes now and then, for all time afterward to ensure the tubes are open. 

But need to know where they all outlets are so i can see the wire coming out.

I allso wondering if it has poped off up where its attatched to the sunroofchassis, cause 5,7 liters i mouch vater leak!!

Mine has run totaly 35.000km now (21.700 miles i think) i bought it at 19.000km in feb and the car was then 10months

Hi 

Thx @stu53 i see the "3-Front drain valves" are placed is where i see the water starts to come visible in the car behind a-pilar cover.. 

I think one of two, that the leak starts there or it starts where the hose its conneted to the sunroof, if so its running inside a-pilar cover and coming visible at same spot.

So then i think i will see the valves behind the cover when i open the hood. Thx again :thumbup:

I talked too my dealer this morning and im gonna give them my car wednesday next week, they have calculated 3 hours and take down roof carpet and covers.

I hope its not clogged hose, cause if not its go to my warranty.  

• 3 weeks later...

Hi. 

I had my car to dealer and they said the front drain was not draining as i should, and they said they modify the outlet. 

Andthe car was there 3 days for drying and cleaning. 

Now there it has been a rainy periode and the car is wet in the flor at passenger side front and rear again. And i get water at my fingers when i drag them along the inner edge from cupe along the sunroof. 

I wonder are my car to mouh in angel when its parked??? 

Itsalso leaning backward a 2-3 degrees. See pic i take yesterday.

I hold phone inn water level when taken. 

Kenneth

IMG_20171214_171248059.jpg

Mine was exactly the same - I ended up having all the carpets replaced under warranty and the sunroof and all of the headlining out.

They never did find what the root cause was - I had water dripping out of the courtesy lights in the rear! They tested the drain tubes and they were all draining fine and no leaks. It seemed to be overflowing the channels that the sunroof fits in and then running down the inside of the A-pillars - my door seals were wet underneath from about halfway down the windscreen.

Like you, my drive had a slight slope, but the opposite way to yours - about 5 degree front to back (front lower) and 5 degree left to right (left lower). The left hand side footwell was full of water.

Not my car anymore - someone elses problem :)

26 minutes ago, andyvee said:

I had water then running down the inside of the A-pillars - my door seals were wet underneath from about halfway down the windscreen.

Thats the same i see om mine. 

I see water starting coming visible around where a-pilar meet dashbord. And the seal are wet behinde, at the front passenger door.

I will call my shop tomorrow again. 

I allso send a message to the prev owner to hear if he notice something about this and if he had it to shop for fix.

I think i know  where the water gets in. The grove where the windsshield are placed gets filled with water and i think its flowing down a little slot where a sort off loking mechanisme with a spring on it.. (Sry bad english) and there to the roof cover and down cover on a-pilar

If om right i guess you all others that have same sunroof and no problem have dry windshiled and windsshield grove is dry, and outside there.. some water/moist in the drain grove that leads to the drain holes.

Sry some bad english, but i think you understand if you open the sunroof and take a look. 

If you do i be glad for reply.

-Kenneth

• 1 month later...

Mine is starting too. 16 reg. Front right footwell has wet mat. Nothing serious yet.  Drain valves are draining both sides following water test with 1 litre of water.

Leak source could be near drain valve in sunroof and start of tubing. The water is then running down inside if a pillar cover upholstery.

How does the drain tube connect to the sunroof drain valve? There is a pic on octavia 1 forum showing someone sticking end of tubing with black adhesive.

If you see the post from stu53 (23now), on the pic you see an outlet from the sunroof chassis, where the hose are put. 

You should see if the groove where the windshield are if there is water there, i mention that in an earlyer post,. Scroll up.  

if thats the case... you have same problem as mine had. 

Left the car to my dealer and told them what i observed (post 22dec)

The grove where windshield is, are place there it absolut not should have water at all they told me. 

They said what they did, but i forgot it..... But remember they have rebuild and did some sealing with tec 7 ore something.. cause i can see som glue a few spots.

The windshield groove is been dry ever since and my car seems ok.

No leak and no fog inside the windows anymore. 

But im still keeping an eye on this to ensure its draining correctly and the windshield grove is not floded. 

• 4 months later...

@KennethBj Hey there Kenneth. Im trying to figure out you explanation on solving this problem but i really dont understand Ș)) I have the same problem and i really dont know how to fix it. Can you please be more specific with the explanation, please? Thank you in advance

Hi @cristi_r22

I did not fix this my self, my dealers/workshops problem becuse the car have waranty.

I had my car in three times, they finaly fix it. 

But for some reason, it came water in the "room" to where the windsield is folded, (there it absolut not should be water at all) and from there it leaked in to the car. 

They called pan.roof manufactur (webaso... dont remember) And said to me when i picked up my car last time, that they rebuild frame and fittet som glue/seal/paste, and rebuild drains. 

I see some palaces there (dont know the word) but two plasticframe pieces are meeting each other, i see some glue/seal/paste. 

So something have they done, and my car are no longer getting water inside. 

I first would have checked if your care has water in the "room" to where the windsield is folded, if it is then check if its water along the selant that goes around the sunroof inside the car.

If it is, that the roome get over flooded and then its the same as mine. (Why that happend i dont know) 

Maybe because hose drains are cloged.. 

If its dry in that "windshiled room" ist maybe your drains that are cloged, but that you can check to drain water in the drain holes. (you should also look at the ground that the water you poor in, gets to the ground at all four outlets/spots. 

Beacuse i allso read online that hoses can pop off the pan.roof frame.

If you find a drain thats clogged, you need to check the hose and outlet.

Ok, so i finnaly managed to solve this issue by myself. My problem was the panoramic sunroof front water drain hose which run through the A pillars and end in the rain groove. The lower drain valve (no. 3 in the image) was fully sunk with dirt and the water was totally drained inside the car. I just had cu clean it up and thats it. Thank you for your cooperation :)

image.jpeg.5082dba00b68be0dbbffa39166d481df.jpeg

• 1 month later...
On 05/07/2018 at 05:45, cristi_r22 said:

Ok, so i finnaly managed to solve this issue by myself. My problem was the panoramic sunroof front water drain hose which run through the A pillars and end in the rain groove. The lower drain valve (no. 3 in the image) was fully sunk with dirt and the water was totally drained inside the car. I just had cu clean it up and thats it. Thank you for your cooperation :)

image.jpeg.5082dba00b68be0dbbffa39166d481df.jpeg

@cristi_r22 how do I get to the lower drain valve (No. 3) to clean it?

Any advice appreciated! 

Thanks! 

2 minutes ago, dunc69 said:

@cristi_r22 how do I get to the lower drain valve (No. 3) to clean it?

Any advice appreciated! 

Thanks! 

You need to remove the plenum chamber cover from the A pillar. Just pull it hard outside, but carefully. Then you'll have visibility to the lower drain valve.

@cristi_r22 Thanks! Is it easy to remove the cover? Is there a ‘how to’ guide for an Octavia Mk3 you can point me to? 

Many thanks 

Edited by dunc69

19 minutes ago, dunc69 said:

@cristi_r22 Thanks! Is it easy to remove the cover? Is there a ‘how to’ guide for an Octavia Mk3 you can point me to? 

Many thanks 

It shouldn't be that harder as you expect. Carefully pull it outside, use your force :) probably there are instructions but you need to find the Octavia mk3 manual. I did it by myself, I didn't look for instructions

2 minutes ago, cristi_r22 said:

It shouldn't be that harder as you expect. Carefully pull it outside, use your force :) probably there are instructions but you need to find the Octavia mk3 manual. I did it by myself, I didn't look for instructions

Ok, thanks buddy. Appreciated. 

I will. I’ve had a good look. Without a guide, I won’t attempt it. Don’t want to damage the car. If I find a guide, I’ll do it. 

It’s booked in next Monday for a minor service so tempted to ask the Indy to sort it for me. 

Thanks for your advice though.