Panoramic sunroof drain, and leak.

On 23/11/2017 at 12:29, stu53 said:

Hi Ken 

A guide on removing the plenum chamber cover for you.

Unui_vfBcG3g7aoxWoglQ4B4AT0K2326-cNwMBhN

0lgE1BUbovED44ushg7Qcc1osXu8mIes5xesEpzf

@stu53 Hi Stu, these links have fallen off. Could you repost or PM them to me please?

Thanks in advance!

Many thanks Stu!  Appreciated. 

Will either give it a go or send to my Indy to help them on Monday - car going in for service anyway. 

Reading this thread makes me feel I made the right choice when I passed on the Cupra with the panoramic roof that I VERY MUCH wanted.

...also, I got mine from a Seat dealer and mentioned leaking panoramic roofs to the seller and he told me "Never get one in Finland; they all leak"

• Like 1

I’m happy the roof itself doesn’t leak on mine and the mechanical side works fine. A drain (FOS) is blocked, either near the top or at the bottom under the plenum cover. 

I will get it sorted and continue to enjoy my HUGE pano roof, which floods the cabin with light and which my kids love. 

I have a good Indy & have faith he will fix it. 

Of course, if the roof itself goes wrong, we are talking ££££, but by cleaning the channels and lubing (matron!) the runners, it should be fine for a few years yet!! 

• Like 1

Front drains cleared by my Indy (offside blocked, nearside partially blocked) FOC with an oil service. 

Pano mechanism also serviced (i.e. lubricated). 

Happy days. Here’s hoping all sorted. I’m guessing the previous owner parked under a tree or similar and the heavy rain we had recently left the drains unable to cope - the car was also parked nose down. 

• 1 year later...

Hi all, I am new to this forum and to Skoda ownership, I know this thread is 2 years old but I thought I will add my 2 cents...
I have Octavia Elegance 2014, and recent heavy rain in my area (over 200mm in less than 24 hrs) gave me a clear picture that there is some issue with my car's sunroof water drainage. When I got in the car during that day, there was about 8 litres of water in the footwell. So I drove to undercover area, drained all the water, and tried to find the problem. Initially I thought it is because of blocked drain holes, which was correct. After unblocking them, I parked the car on rain again, only to find out that there is another leak! 

So, I removed the ceiling upholstery in the front, and by pouring some water in the drain groove in sunroof I was looking for leaks. Shortly after I found out that the leak is happening when draining holes are not draining fast enough (i.e. more water comes in than goes out). When the drain groove is full, it overflows into the section which holds the noise cancelling net when folded, and from there the water can go directly inside the car because there is a huge gap about 2x2cm big, not sealed. Not sure if this is a mistake from the factory, which they simply missed, or if it is part of the design. Anyway, I sealed these holes and hopefully there will be no more leaks!

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Hi is the panoramic drain tube continues, can I put a wire right through to the bottom of the car please 

Just now, Colinjamesace said:

Hi does 

the panoramic drain tube continues, can I put a wire right through to the bottom of the car please 

• 7 months later...

Hi I have the problem with the water gathering where the windshield is stored when the sunroof is closed. I cleared all the drains and tried sealing up the area as best I could but still getting the problem with it filli g with water. 

Ive never had a leak yet & it lives in Wales 3 miles from the summit of Snowdon. When I 1st had it at 87K 2 years back I had a look at the drains and filled them up with water to check where it came out. I was not impressed with the speed that the water was draining so I used the outer cable off an old bike brake cable fed it down the tube's while it was connected to a compressor with a SMALL amount of positive air going down the tube. Got at lease 50% more water going down after that.  And the sunroof side seals need a very special type of lubrication that is VERY expansive.    Look on VW golf sites  for that & where to get it on E-Bay

The drains seem to be draining as best they can. I have spent alot of time on this now trying to actually see how the water is gathering in the wind shield gap. I used silicone to seal off all possible gaps for water to be able to travel into the gap. Still the same and my local skoda garage is looking for scandalous money just to inspect it 

On 30/12/2021 at 09:54, Lecar said:

The drains seem to be draining as best they can. I have spent alot of time on this now trying to actually see how the water is gathering in the wind shield gap. I used silicone to seal off all possible gaps for water to be able to travel into the gap. Still the same and my local skoda garage is looking for scandalous money just to inspect it 

Any pics of where the water is gathering?

Unfortunately not the whole poxy roof is taped up now to prevent the paddling pool in the car. It's always full of water where the wind deflector is stored but there is no run off for this area but the poxy water is getting in somehow 

Its going to be impossible to stop water getting past the front section off the roof as its a sliding fit. That's why the drains are there. if the drains are not coping with the water then IT WILL LEAK end off. Their  is enough information on how to clean out the pipes including my little bit on this thead & a lot more on U-tube. Checked mine today after reading this, 2years since I cleaned them out  (15mins) and still fine now & that's in Snowdonia 

• 2 weeks later...
On 01/01/2022 at 18:10, Cap44 said:

Its going to be impossible to stop water getting past the front section off the roof as its a sliding fit. That's why the drains are there. if the drains are not coping with the water then IT WILL LEAK end off. Their  is enough information on how to clean out the pipes including my little bit on this thead & a lot more on U-tube. Checked mine today after reading this, 2years since I cleaned them out  (15mins) and still fine now & that's in Snowdonia 

So after cleaning all drains out fully there absolutely no chance the drains are any way restricted at all. Even filled front section of the roof with water and it drained away as quick as possible. So next day when there was rain guess what roof leaking still. So the drains are coping 100% with the water that is in that section. Thanks for the input. As I was asking originally if the drains are working FINE what else could be a issue the water ingress is happening in the roof liner just above the driver seat. And still noticing the wind deflector wet when supposedly it's never meant to be wet

• 10 months later...
On 10/01/2022 at 19:24, Lecar said:

So after cleaning all drains out fully there absolutely no chance the drains are any way restricted at all. Even filled front section of the roof with water and it drained away as quick as possible. So next day when there was rain guess what roof leaking still. So the drains are coping 100% with the water that is in that section. Thanks for the input. As I was asking originally if the drains are working FINE what else could be a issue the water ingress is happening in the roof liner just above the driver seat. And still noticing the wind deflector wet when supposedly it's never meant to be wet

I have the same issue... zero issue with drainage, but still a LOT of water in LHS footwells after some rain.

No idea what to do next, I've siliconed up some of the holes/joins where I felt water could be getting in from the sunroof, but if I put heaps of water in the sunroof channel (when open) the water actually runs in the cabin from the corner of the sunroof.... eeek! 

Do you have an update for your car?

Kit

• 2 months later...
On 27/11/2022 at 07:19, ciaokit said:

I have the same issue... zero issue with drainage, but still a LOT of water in LHS footwells after some rain.

No idea what to do next, I've siliconed up some of the holes/joins where I felt water could be getting in from the sunroof, but if I put heaps of water in the sunroof channel (when open) the water actually runs in the cabin from the corner of the sunroof.... eeek! 

Do you have an update for your car?

Kit

This sounds to me like the drainage pipe isn't actually connected properly to the drainage hole that comes out of the roof space where the air deflector is stored.  Have you checked behind to top of the a-pillar cover/headlining to make sure the drainage pipe is actually connected fully and properly?  If not then would explain why water is able to run done the inside cover of the a-pillar and eventually end up in the footwell.  Just a thought. 🤔

Had a similar issue. Cleared out drainage channels. Then further investigation showed the seal between the sunroof sections had failed. Whole thing taken out, re-bonded, new rubbers, roof rails removed, checked and re-sealed. I’m rather hoping that sorts it once and for all. 

33EDE30F-A716-402A-B752-A4E589CADCC2.jpeg

D2BC5FC1-CA4B-478C-9644-56F559138413.jpeg

252AF578-255E-48CF-A12E-F301EE3C7B20.jpeg

446F9C13-90D0-4A43-A1CC-15A38C5B6CB0.jpeg

Edited by Rob74

• 1 year later...
On 13/02/2020 at 03:18, kris-p said:

Hi all, I am new to this forum and to Skoda ownership, I know this thread is 2 years old but I thought I will add my 2 cents...
I have Octavia Elegance 2014, and recent heavy rain in my area (over 200mm in less than 24 hrs) gave me a clear picture that there is some issue with my car's sunroof water drainage. When I got in the car during that day, there was about 8 litres of water in the footwell. So I drove to undercover area, drained all the water, and tried to find the problem. Initially I thought it is because of blocked drain holes, which was correct. After unblocking them, I parked the car on rain again, only to find out that there is another leak! 

So, I removed the ceiling upholstery in the front, and by pouring some water in the drain groove in sunroof I was looking for leaks. Shortly after I found out that the leak is happening when draining holes are not draining fast enough (i.e. more water comes in than goes out). When the drain groove is full, it overflows into the section which holds the noise cancelling net when folded, and from there the water can go directly inside the car because there is a huge gap about 2x2cm big, not sealed. Not sure if this is a mistake from the factory, which they simply missed, or if it is part of the design. Anyway, I sealed these holes and hopefully there will be no more leaks!

Hi Kris,

Wondering if you have any photos of where exactly you sealed the 2x2cm holes please - I'd like to do the same to mine 🙂