No Spare Wheel or Tool kit

Buying a 2013 Elegance and there is no spare wheel, company says that is normal but when I asked about tools they said it only comes with a compressor and fluid for the punctured tyre. Has anyone any info on what should be in there, always been used to having a spare but would be happy as long as all the correct tools are on board. Thanks for your help.

The spare wheel pack was an optional extra on my 2015 Elegance, I believe the standard was a compressor and can of 'squirt', Skoda call it a 'Tyre repair kit'. Personally I'd never rely on that system, if it blows out no can of squirt would work and some repairers will not repair a tyre filled with the gunky glue and want you to buy a new tyre for 'safety reasons'.

You can buy the spare wheel pack from any dealer but have a look on ebay or phone some breakers.

Having the spare certainly gives peace of mind, its full size but still limited to 50mph.

AJW1100, I will certainly look into that side of it, I would feel more comfortable even though it was adding a little extra weight!

Auric Goldfinger, thanks for that just what I needed, the boot was devoid of anything and they said they would give me a compressor but totally forgot to ask about the locking wheel bolt.

Really don’t know why people rob cars before they trade them in, so petty!!!!

I think you'll need to get the locking nut key from a dealer. Each dealer will have/should have a set of every locking key bolts ( 16 or 17 keys I think ) and they can check which one you need. Don't let them fob you off with " You need to buy a complete set of wheel/locking nuts " you don't

Halfords or alike will have a wheel brace 

Edited by Auric Goldfinger
  • Like 1

I am hoping they can either get it from the owner or they have it in the background somewhere Auric Goldfinger, I have seen some posts about people struggling to get copies. I have a Halfords extending wheel brace but just like to have original if possible.

Will maybe start looking for a wheel.

Plenty wheels and tool kits come up on Ebay or even Briskoda For Sales.

Getting the correct Locking Bolt removal tool is not a problem really if it is the OEM one on the car, you get a Skoda Dealership to have someone bring out their set and check which you need, it is just most charge for that, not all though if you buy what is needed from them.

Was your car not bought from a Skoda Dealer?

A spare wheel always. The puncture sealant is rubbish. I used it on a Prius and it couldn't even seal a hole that had a screw in the main tread and as it was in a Sainsbury's car park I then had to sit there with my shopping thawing out waiting for the RAC, who then bodged a rubber bung into it, and had to follow me to Kwik Fit. The Toyota gunge kit also expires after 3 years and costs about £60 or something to replace, don't know if Skoda's is the same. 

I just don't get the whole rationale about about the gunge kit, and the argument of using it and then going and buying a tyre. Last I saw most tyre retailers are only open office hours. Good way to get stranded. Spare wheel on my 2014 Octavia was a £75 option. Should be free in a sensible world.

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎27‎.‎11‎.‎2017 at 12:17, HotVRs said:

A spare wheel always. The puncture sealant is rubbish. I used it on a Prius and it couldn't even seal a hole that had a screw in the main tread and as it was in a Sainsbury's car park I then had to sit there with my shopping thawing out waiting for the RAC, who then bodged a rubber bung into it, and had to follow me to Kwik Fit. The Toyota gunge kit also expires after 3 years and costs about £60 or something to replace, don't know if Skoda's is the same. 

I just don't get the whole rationale about about the gunge kit, and the argument of using it and then going and buying a tyre. Last I saw most tyre retailers are only open office hours. Good way to get stranded. Spare wheel on my 2014 Octavia was a £75 option. Should be free in a sensible world.

Its all about weight saving for the emissions tests.

As its an option, they dont have to homologate with the 20-30kg spare wheel saving on weight etc etc

I guess every manufacturer knows that the foam kits will only work in a small percent of the cases but it is approved by the TUV (and quite a lot cheaper than a real wheel and tyre) so everyone offers it as standard..

i fitted a full size 18" gemini alloy and spare wheel kit. it raised the floor of the boot about 10mm not that you would notice.

20171009_184633.thumb.jpg.f1d26469eadfb82457b107cf06ae3bf1.jpg

this was overkill because any 5x112 VAG steel wheel and the correct size tyre would do.

Edited by JohnnyType2

The top kit is from www.skodaparts.com and the jack looks right to me, the lower one is from Ebay and the whole kit looks cheap but the jack doesn't look right. Price wise the Ebay one is free postage but same price as Skodaparts. I am not keen on driving around with no spare and would rather carry the weight, problem with second hand cars is we have no choice on whats with then so gotta sort it later. JohnnyType2, where did you get the wheel, it looks brand new???

This whole spare tyre thing I find astounding, cars here in oz come with a spare , even though it may be a space saver which is speed/distance limited which I think is unsafe here as we could drive for many hours / 100's of km without seeing any place where a tyre could be repaired/replaced

1 hour ago, Colin Spence said:

The top kit is from www.skodaparts.com and the jack looks right to me, the lower one is from Ebay and the whole kit looks cheap but the jack doesn't look right. Price wise the Ebay one is free postage but same price as Skodaparts. I am not keen on driving around with no spare and would rather carry the weight, problem with second hand cars is we have no choice on whats with then so gotta sort it later. JohnnyType2, where did you get the wheel, it looks brand new???

It is brand new. Skodaparts ireland are doing cheap alloys at the moment they have been running 42% off on a lot of stock alloys including the gemini. Postage to you should be about the same as me as we are both UK. The spare wheel kit was from the local skoda dealer so is correct for the vRS and was as cheap as eBay.

new gemini = £190 inc postage 

tyre 225/40 R18 = £70 fitted and balanced

spare wheel kit = £38

peace of mind = priceless :D

Edited by JohnnyType2

1 hour ago, Gadget007 said:

This whole spare tyre thing I find astounding, cars here in oz come with a spare , even though it may be a space saver which is speed/distance limited which I think is unsafe here as we could drive for many hours / 100's of km without seeing any place where a tyre could be repaired/replaced

We don't have such a distance problem here but I do travel a lot both here and sometimes in Europe so not having a spare wheel is just a no no !!!! I realise when some people buy a car new the thoughts of saving all that money on a spare wheel may make the difference between affording the car and not but of course we are then left with the problem as second hand buyers.

colin, thats the official skoda branded OEM wheel kit bought from Skoda. it is around £50 MMRP but most dealers are doing it now for £38ish 

those two images are of the same OEM wheel kit, not an ebay knock off :blink: ...its the same jack just upside down

because i used a full size alloy and not a steel spacesaver or full size steel i had to chop it down to fit the gemini

Edited by JohnnyType2

2 hours ago, Colin Spence said:

JohnnyType2, I might just give them a looksee, didn't want to spend that much and would be happy with a 'get you home' steel wheel but don't want to be diddled with cheap European tool kit, would rather pay the £50 or so for a good kit.

the scrap yards are full of 5x112 full size steels, they are not 'get you home' wheels, or spacesavers, they are mostly spares with new tyres and you could run them all year with no issue. I think your talking about a spacesaver rated to 50mph max? Im not. When i went for a look they had dozens with brand new tyres selling for about £40. you could have the wheel and official OEM spare kit for less than £80 if you wanted. 

Edited by JohnnyType2

JohnnyType2, I was referring to my pic's not yours, I would never be so presumptuous, the lower pic of mine looked like a knockoff thats why I was sceptical. I might just go for same full size alloy as my wheels, that way I would be able to take my time getting the puncture repaired. Thank you so much for your help and info, I hope I didn't offend you at all !!!

oh no offense at all i was confused though. :biggrin:

so you have a few options, space-saver/full size steel/alloy, (all which fit) and depending on your budget, the space saver and alloy are about the same price unless your lucky and get a cheap one on fleabay (which is not easy). the full size steel from a scrapper is your cheapest option.

If you do go with the alloy you will need to butcher the foam of the skoda SWKit to get it to fit, the good thing is that is comes with the fixing to screw it to the wheel well base.