Is the Fabia MK2 OBD2 socket a standard size?

I tried borrowing a friends OBD2 scanner and found it would not easily fit into the Fabia's (VRS - 2013) OBD2 plug socket located next to the fuses.   Looking at the connections the Fabia has a rectangular outlet surrounding the internal plug whereas the  OBD2 scanner is of a trapezoid shape (this seems to be common)   and is slightly larger than the Fabia rectangular opening!  So is the Fabia MK2 OBD2 socket a standard size or does it require a non-standard sized scanner plug? 

Fabia_OBD2_socket.jpg

OBD2_plug.jpg

Thanks, it must be the plastic housing on the scanner plug that is just too large for the opening - I didn't want to start filing the sides of the scanner plug as it was not mine.  

Can anyone recommend a fairly decent  and "reasonably" priced scanner I can buy that would be compatible with the Fabia?  - Average prices at the cheaper end seem to be £20 -£40 :)
Would prefer the handheld type as opposed to a Bluetooth type that connects to a Smart phone.     

That is the point of the OBDll socket it is an standard size that all manufacturers use,  so even the size of the trim cutout should be the right size to accept the mating connector 

I tried two cheap (£15) ODB2 dongles. The first one didn't work at all. The second worked for 30 minutes then died. When I contacted the supplier I was told it wouldn't work with a diesel engined car. However, recently my car was playing up. My son in law had a fancy dongle which we tried and it worked fine. It is expensive. BUT for £100 you get a device which works plus an app which gives you a good range of data. For more details, look at:-

https://www.bluedriver.com/

Three small points. It works with an Apple or Android phone or tablet via bluetooth rather than be hard wired. The dongle fits upside down as compared to most cars I have seen. Don't know why the socket is inverted. Then the other issue is that the dongle is made for the North American market which until recently didn't have any modern Skodas. So there is no setting for a Skoda. I am using it set for a Seat car. The mnufacturer says they are considering adding Skodas to the list of cars covered. 

• 10 months later...

I know this is an old post, but it seems most folk are missing the point. The pictures clearly show the standard male plug hasn't a hope in hell of fitting the fabia/roomster female socket, which I found out yesterday. My brother has a Octavia and the standard plug fits fine.

• Confused 1

Well if you think that the aperture for the OBD2/OBDE connector is tight in that picture, I can only say you should see the size of the aperture in a B5 VW Passat, luckily for me, I bought VAG-COM then updated to VCDS and also used a Gendan hand held scan tool and while it was a tight fit, it did fit in.

I'm guessing that some of these DIYer scan tools manufacturers are not making the back shell of their connecting cable out of quality/strong material so need to beef them up to avoid them breaking up - and in doing so making them less than useful for some applications.

Edit:- the trim designer that drew that detail for the MK2 Fabia must have been a clown though, it should be a bit leaning toward being trapezoidal to give the buyers of some of these cheaper tools a chance.

Edited by rum4mo
  • Like 1

I had a bit of difficulty at first with a similar cheap tool. It does go though but needs patient wiggling to get it to slot over the cars port!

Edited by mrgf

• 1 month later...
17 hours ago, SimonBart said:

Obdeleven is about £40 and works great. Designed for Vag cars petrol and diesel.  Does 95% of what vcds does. 

I looked at this. It says credits... Do you have to pay (Use credits) To access features as such? I assume each type of app you load, you pay for/use credits so can you use it over and over, once paid for or do you have to pay every time you use it? Bit confused. Thanks. 

I found on my mk2 ovctavia it's not the size of the hole and cut out but the length which is the issue.

Some obd devices seem to have a shorter socket before the main casing which fouls on the surrounding and so the pins cant make contact for it to work.

Tried 7 different OBD devices and 3 were simply not long enough.

On ‎11‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 17:25, SimonBart said:

Obdeleven is about £40 and works great. Designed for Vag cars petrol and diesel.  Does 95% of what vcds does. 

How advanced is this app? I'm looking for one other than carista that lets me do simple advanced options, No coding etc just the ability to get into my cars MFD and remote locking functions.

12 minutes ago, Mickmartin said:

How advanced is this app? I'm looking for one other than carista that lets me do simple advanced options, No coding etc just the ability to get into my cars MFD and remote locking functions.

Insure obdeleven would be perfect for you. It's done everything I have needed on various audi vw ans skoda

• 2 months later...

Insure obdeleven would be perfect for you. It's done everything I have needed on various audi vw ans skoda

Can it program control modules etc ? or as I suspect its just basic OBD II stuff ?

Edited by UrbanPanzer