Coolant Loss

Got in the car today and on starting got a low coolant warning and red warning light.

Engine off, checked the level and you could just see some coolant at the bottom of the header tank. 

Engine back on and warning didn't appear. Short drive to the shop and back-and the level had obviously risen slightly with pressure.

Had the AA out via Skoda Assist, arrived one-half an hour. No obvious leak and level topped up.

He suggested there had been a previous issue with porous hoses?

I'm going to book it in, it's not 6 months old yet and keep an eye in the mean time. Any suggestions as to what it might be?

Just had exactly the same issue.  4 weeks owned on a 6 month old car.  Not exactly a great start, but at least it's under warranty.  I'll get it booked in tomorrow.  Most of the reading I've done suggests the water pump.  Mine is a 2017 pre facelift.

On my 3rd water-pump, but so far no porous hoses:biggrin:.

Edit: As a tip, any leaks from the water pump will collect within the under-tray first and may take some time to drip onto the pavement. Grab a few sheets of kitchen roll, and from under the car reach up an wipe along the top of the under-tray. If it comes out wet and pink then there is a ~99% chance of water-pump leajkage. This the THE MOST COMMON Octavia fault / manyfacturing-defect, and is especially frequent on 2013/2014 cars.

Edited by Orville

Thanks all.

It's gone in eventually after a little arm twisting by Skoda Assist who have been great. 

The two nearest dealers would accept the car but no date to look at it and no courtesy car til the 21st.

Got driverline involved through my lease and it's gone in today, due in the workshop tomorrow and got a Tiguan SEL 4 motion on the drive, for 2 days initially pending diagnosis.

Thanks all for your help, I'll keep you posted.

My first thought was air in the system too.

There seem to be a lot of new owners complain of coolant level warnings & levels rising & falling drastically depending on when checked.

It seems something fairly common with the O3.

Fingers crossed it is just this.

The water pump issues mainly affect older 2013/14 models & in most cases it doesnt cause coolant loss, just overheating because the electronic sleeve to pickup the cold coolant is stuck. The new part has been released for a long time so no reason to think it is this.

There were a few cases of water pump leaks due to bad seals...

As Orville suggests, some white kitchen roll Under the car when you stop can quickly tell if the pump is actually leaking.

• Like 1

It did mostly affect 2013/14 models.

and then Skoda / VW did jack **** so 2015/2016 models have been affected. In 2019 it will be some 2017/2018 ones.

Vorsprung Durch Technik translated or not to Czech,   Advances in technology, except with Water Pumps, because VW buys badly and QA is pathetic.

• Haha 1

I’ve just had the same issue

drove the car 50 or so miles yesterday - no warning

today I started it and got the red low coolant warning. I hope it’s not the water pump!

Edit - 2015 car , just ticked over 30,000 miles . Was serviced around 17/18k miles last year

ive just ordered a golf GTE so hoping this won’t be a problem anymore!

Edited by Simon667

Same problem here - I've found that if you stop a warm  engine and restart, the warning light will go off and not return.

(I've had the car two months and now have just over 6k on the clock)

Top up first?  With what? (water and antifreeze - like the good old days - or "Skoda approved coolant"?)

Yes the warning light is sporadic and only seems to come on once per episode.

The aa topped it up with water on the coldest day of the year.

The dealer  tell me they drained and refilled. However it was overfilled and the header cap wasn't locked in place. I have little faith it'll work.

But every time the light comes on I will get the aa out and then get it to the dealer as that way they guarantee me a hire car. And if they can't or won't diagnose it properly it's at there expense

• 3 years later...

Hi I have a 2013 Skoda octavia vrs estate iv got this dreaded coolant loss problem iv had the cambelt and water pump changed twice and the problem is still there iv changed the expansion tank cap as advised my mechanic still loosing coolant iv checked the radiator for leaks car’t find anywere dripping iv traced all the hoses back for tears nothing iv taken it to different garage who all say they car’t find a problem with it. It takes roughly 3 weeks to fully drain any advice would be greatly appriciated as I’m at the point now we’re I’m thinking shall I just get rid of it. 

• Sad 1

• 9 months later...

So I had this problem a while back and the only place that appeared to have it was round the header tank. I replaced that and the pressure cap £35 and the guy never charged me labour as he’s my local guy. Anyway a few weeks later there was more leakage there and we replaced the tank as it appeared to be coming from the middle of it rather than a join. No issues for about a year after that. Recently it’s started back up again and then sometimes it’s fine and sometimes it’s not. It’s been pressure tested and the mechanic had it up on the ramp and couldn’t find a leak he also left it running with paper underneath it (the engine base cover off obviously). He also said there was no obvious leakage there. What’s everybody’s thoughts?

@GlasgowsteveIf coolant is disappearing and it isn't appearing under the engine then either it is being consumed in the burn cycle (worse case) or it is being lost somewhere that only opens up when hot (loose jubilee clip or there is a split seeping pipe which passes liquid when hot).

You didn't say when or if the water pump had been replaced either (another common source of coolant loss)