How to Hardwire a dashcam in Mk3 Octy, in 50 easy steps

I SHOULD mention that before starting any of this:
Step 1 - read the *^&$% instructions !!!
Step 2 - read them again.
Step 3 - give yourself plenty of room to do this - you need the passenger door WIDE open and you'll be spending quite a bit of time on your knees and crouching at awkward angles.
Step 4 - book a chiropractor visit for after installation.
Step 5 - think about what you're doing. If you start out by connecting the power-wire to the dashcam, and trying to feed the cigarette-lighter plug down through the trims to the fusebox, you're going to have an awfully difficult time! You need to mount the wires from the BOTTOM ===> UP !
Step 6 - read the instructions again!
Step 7 - deep breaths, get all your tools together, and a damned good torch
Step 8 - choose some good music to play loudly on your phone - this will drown out all the swearing that you will inflict upon your neighbours / family / housemates
Step 9 - be patient, or you'll &^$*-up some really simple things like I did several times
Step 10 - once you're done, find the head engineer at Skoda, responsible for the STUPID glovebox damper fitting arrangement, and smack him square in the face !!! By far, the MOST DIFFICULT part of this job, is re-fitting the glovebox with the damper fitted (which I did NOT take photos of/detail, because of the above-mentioned swearing and annoyed housemates!)

How to Hardwire a dashcam in Mk3 Octy, in 50 easy steps-1-remove-side-dash-cover-jpg
Remove side trim (no idea why this picture is showing sideways)
Don't use a screwdriver, use something plastic to prise the clips out. There's 3 clips along the curved edge of this panel, which I forgot to mark on the photo

How to Hardwire a dashcam in Mk3 Octy, in 50 easy steps-2-remove-pillar-trim-jpg
Remove the A-pillar trim. You'll need extra vitamins to do this, as the 2 spring clips marked, that hold it in place are stupidly difficult to prise open

How to Hardwire a dashcam in Mk3 Octy, in 50 easy steps-3-pillar-trim-jpg
Grrrrrr... the culprits

How to Hardwire a dashcam in Mk3 Octy, in 50 easy steps-4-remove-pillar-trim-jpg
It should look something like this inside. If you have curtain airbags, it's that white thing underneath the green wire sheath. If you have a lower-spec model with no curtain airbags, obviously this will be missing.

How to Hardwire a dashcam in Mk3 Octy, in 50 easy steps-5-pillar-exposed-jpg
Sideways again - no idea why.

How to Hardwire a dashcam in Mk3 Octy, in 50 easy steps-6-feed-dashcam-wire-up-pillar-hole-jpg
Start at the bottom and feed the output power wire for the dashcam UP through the hole at the back of the dash/bottom edge of the A-pillar. Pull through enough wire and do a dummy run of where you will install the wiring, so you have enough slack to play with.

How to Hardwire a dashcam in Mk3 Octy, in 50 easy steps-7-mount-wire-along-pillar-1-jpgHow to Hardwire a dashcam in Mk3 Octy, in 50 easy steps-7-mount-wire-along-pillar-2-jpg
Install the feed wire ABOVE the airbag (if present) by mounting it to the existing wiring, either by cable ties, electrical tape, or winding around as I've done here. IMPERATIVE that you don't be lazy and leave the A-pillar trim in-place, and just poke the feed wire in the gap BELOW the airbag, as this will foul on the bag if it needs to deploy in a crash, and possible cause serious injury.

How to Hardwire a dashcam in Mk3 Octy, in 50 easy steps-8-hide-wiring-under-headlining-jpgHow to Hardwire a dashcam in Mk3 Octy, in 50 easy steps-9-mount-wiring-camera-1-jpgHow to Hardwire a dashcam in Mk3 Octy, in 50 easy steps-9-mount-wiring-camera-2-jpg
Install wiring under headlining and around mirror-block to camera position. Models without front camera won't have the massive black block on the windscreen. Mount the camera/wiring in such a position to be least intrusive to your view.

How to Hardwire a dashcam in Mk3 Octy, in 50 easy steps-10-choose-fuses-tap-into-jpg
Back downstairs again - time to choose the power sources.
Various models will have different options wired into their fuseboxes (and therefore different fuses installed to mine shown here)
My car is a 2016 model with all options ticked, except black pack which was just wheels and visual differences outside.
I chose the cigarette lighter fuse (#40) for permanent power, as that's what I was running the camera from inside the cabin anyway, using the cig.lighter plug shown in pic above.
The PMP unit I'm installing also required a switched (ignition) power signal to operate.
If you are installing intending to switch the camera on/off with ignition, then this is the circuit you will need to choose.
I chose the Fuse 48 position, which is Blind Spot Monitoring, which was not an option on my earlier model, but I understand is now available on the Facelift models.
You can see that the fusebox is wired with an incoming 12V pin in the top of fuse 48 position, but there's no pin in the output bottom side of the fuse holder. This is ideal to use, as it is a switched ignition power source, and the fuse taps can use an "incomplete" main circuit such as this, to operate the piggyback circuit. All the fuse tap requires is an incoming 12V source wire, which is what this provides.
The extra advantage is that the fuse tap has some room, so it doesn't foul on nearby fuses.

NOTE: ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS mount these with the piggyback wire facing down (in VAG cars at least, with incoming 12V on top of fusebox, and output voltage fed from fuse back to the bottom pin on the fusebox.

How to Hardwire a dashcam in Mk3 Octy, in 50 easy steps-13-test-piggyback-output-wires-jpgHow to Hardwire a dashcam in Mk3 Octy, in 50 easy steps-14-test-piggyback-fuse-48-ignition-off-jpgHow to Hardwire a dashcam in Mk3 Octy, in 50 easy steps-15-test-piggyback-fuse-48-ignition-jpg
Test the fuse position(s) you've chosen, to confirm either permanent or switched ignition power.

How to Hardwire a dashcam in Mk3 Octy, in 50 easy steps-11-permanent-power-piggyback-fused-jpgHow to Hardwire a dashcam in Mk3 Octy, in 50 easy steps-12-install-piggybacks-fuse-taps-1-jpgHow to Hardwire a dashcam in Mk3 Octy, in 50 easy steps-12-install-piggybacks-fuse-taps-2-jpg
In this instance, 5A fuses in top (piggyback) circuit of each fusetap is all that's required. The camera is rated for max draw of 1A, but the 5A fuse came with the tap, so that's what I used.
Note first pic is the permanent power fusetap, with the original 20A yellow fuse from the Cig. Lighter on the bottom circuit, and the camera fuse on the top circuit.
The switched power that I'm running on the Fuse 48 position, doesn't need a fuse in the bottom circuit, as that circuit is incomplete in the fusebox. It only needs a 5A fuse in the top piggyback circuit, and the incoming 12V from Fuse 48 runs through that fused circuit to the output wire.

How to Hardwire a dashcam in Mk3 Octy, in 50 easy steps-16-choose-mounting-position-pmp-jpg
Choose mounting position for the PMP box (only relevant to those users fitting this/similar parking-mode battery-protection device)
I chose underneath the glovebox, as it's easy to wire to the fusebox, and is easily accessible when required while being relatively hidden

How to Hardwire a dashcam in Mk3 Octy, in 50 easy steps-17-mount-pmp-1-jpgHow to Hardwire a dashcam in Mk3 Octy, in 50 easy steps-17-mount-pmp-3-jpgHow to Hardwire a dashcam in Mk3 Octy, in 50 easy steps-17-mount-pmp-3-jpgHow to Hardwire a dashcam in Mk3 Octy, in 50 easy steps-17-mount-pmp-4-jpgHow to Hardwire a dashcam in Mk3 Octy, in 50 easy steps-17-mount-pmp-5-jpg
Mount the PMP box to the bottom plastic frame behind glovebox. NOTE you have to mount it BACK from the front edge, or the glovebox will foul on it when it hinges down.

CONT'D PART 2
Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails     
Edited by spinifex
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, lonouri said:

How long does the dashcam cable need to be to allow enough slack to feed through the pillar?

Difficult to answer - I didn't actually measure mine sorry.

I just know the Blackvue came with MILES of power cable, it was probably 25% longer than required, which allowed a good amount of tucking around corners and inside trims.

I would suggest basically feeding ALL the power cable from the bottom position, up through the pillar along to the camera, and THEN work backwards, fitting neatly from the camera, through headlining, down A-pillar, then pull the slack back down to the fusebox area.
I couldn't find my box of cable ties at the time, which is why I wound my cable around the other cables in the A-pillar.... you obviously can't do this if you've followed what I just wrote above (and don't have a free end of the cable to wind it around)... so I'd suggest doing the above, and cable tying it to existing A-pillar wires.

would you have tried removing the sensor cover behind the rear view mirror to hide the wiring better? or was this a no go? i'm curious as id like to hide the wiring completely this way and am not sure how to remove it. 

thanks for the tutorial. 

15 hours ago, JohnnyType2 said:

would you have tried removing the sensor cover behind the rear view mirror to hide the wiring better? or was this a no go? i'm curious as id like to hide the wiring completely this way and am not sure how to remove it. 

If the car wasn't still in warranty, I probably might have had a go at this, but didn't want to mess with the car too much.
To be honest, the wiring is pretty well hidden from my view, except where it hugs the sensor cover, but I've got to look closely to see it, and only from the passenger side, so it was a non-issue for me.

• 3 months later...

Thanks for the guide @spinifex excellent detail, photos and tips B)

Had hardwired my dashcam about 18 months ago, but did it lazily and didn't take off the A pillar trim. I've had a horrible rattle on rough roads from that area so took the A pillar trim off tonight with your guide, cloth wrapped the charger cable and zip tied it to the existing loom that runs down there. Those spring clips are tough!

3 hours ago, ahenners said:

......@spinifex

.....those spring clips are tough!.....

I know right !!!

I can't understand it really..... I know that the pillar airbags going off would be with explosive force, but surely you don't want the majority of that force being used just to blow the trim off !!!
Those clips are super tight.
Then again... perhaps they are there to STOP the trim actually dislodging during an airbag event.... do the bags just deploy out the bottom of the trim, while the trim stays in place?
Anybody know for sure?

• 3 months later...

UPDATE:  Since writing/posting this, on some other forums, it's been brought to my attention an issue in my photos that I was not originally aware of.

Underneath the A-pillar trim, the bright green thick tube there is NOT a cover for other cables, as I originally thought.... it's in-fact the drain-hose for my panoramic sunroof!
And the way it was cable-tied at the factory on the bottom, leaving it quite crimped and restricted, could possibly cause issues with leaks one day.

So I'm going to have to take the damned pillar trim off again, and release that cable tie and refit it a bit looser, to ensure this doesn't cause an issue in the future.

Not looking forward to that exercise!

OR - I'll just wait till the next service is due and get Skoda to do it... I'm sure checking the drain tubes is a part of the regular service schedule, but I'm unsure if they would bother taking the trims off to do so....
Does anyone know for sure, what the actual process is for the technicians to "check the drain tubes" ?

• 3 weeks later...

Watch the video from 45 secs for one very good reason to fit a dashcam. However, insurance company have decided the accident was my fault so battle continues. One small point, accident was June 1st and car still being repaired. Skoda seem unable to supply the off side rear door poser moulding. Would I buy another Skoda? Great car, dreadful customer service over this.

Jeez,  Who's insurance co. decided it was your fault? I hope it's not yours!

1: You're driving within the speed limit on your side of the road.

2: There's no indication to you as to how long that lorry was.

3: The third party veered on to your side of the road.

It's perfectly clear the lorry driver should have realised the rear of his/her vehicle was going to cross the road and had a clear view of you approaching in the opposite direction - they should have waited until your side of the road was clear or better still, should have waited till it was clear then gone on to the opposite side of the carriage way before making the left turn. 

To suggest it's your fault is taking the biscuit. Refer them to the insurance ombusman for wasting everyones time.

Edited by Guest

Well...it was my insurance company who decided it was my fault. The defence from the third parties insurance company was Section 221 of the Highway Code.

Rule 221. Large vehicles. These may need extra road space to turn or to deal with a hazard that you are not able to see. If you are following a large vehicle, such as a bus or articulated lorry, be aware that the driver may not be able to see you in the mirrors.1 Oct 2015.

I have pointed out the lorry was coming towards me but they dont seem to be able to understand that despite them having watched the video. Presumably from now on when I see a lorry coming towards me I had better stop in case he wants my side of the road as well. Met with a charming Policeman at his Police station a few weeks ago. Showed him the video and made an allegation of careless driving. Strangely he seemed to agree with  me. Cautioned me, siezed the HD card and filled out a report with the recommendation other driver is prosecuted. Ho hum. If I was an HGV driver I think I might have just put my hands up, admitted it was my fault and let the insurance company deal with it . I believe Careless driving carries a possible 6 points, just what every HGV driver likes on his licence. Maybe he will regret telling his boss it wasnt his fault when the summons pops through his door.I did suggest the transport manager may like to see the video but he told me he wasnt interested, let the insurance comapny deal with it. Strange, if an employee of mine had an accident and there was a video showing it I think I would rather have liked to see it. Oh and the insurance company...mine is Saga as I am a Gog. ( Grumpy old git) His is Lv. Ummm... it seems Saga is really Lv in disguise. Now a cynic may suggest that as my premium isnt very much compared to a National freight company, they might take the Freight companies side so as not to p*** them off and loose the business but then as a Gog, what do I know. Either way, Lv are picking up the bill. Once the car is returned, excess paid etc, I might just issue a Count Court Summons to get my excess back. I wonder what the Judge would make of the video. Oh and a short letter to the local Traffic Commissioner just to get his take on it as driver training etc is within his remit.  I have a strange feeling when their operators licence is up for renewal training records may just get looked at a little closer next time.

Insurance companies!  Incompetent crooks.

As stated above, that rule applies when you are following a vehicle - how can you tell how 'large' a vehicle is from the front? It might just have been a cab for all you know.  The obligatory sign 'LONG VEHICLE' is mounted on the rear for a reason, it's not mounted on the front.

Furthermore, the lorry was indicating it was turning to your right...  the rear of the lorry actually turned left in to your path. Not sure what rule it is, but the highway code wording goes something like "indicators should be used to inform other road users of your intentions". The driver did the exact opposite of what he was telling you so that's another rule he broke.

Tell your insurer you'll recoup your losses thru small claims court if they don't assign a competent assessor to your case.

Edited by Guest

The trailer had rear steering which pushed the back out onto your side of the road a lot further than anyone could have expected apart from the lorry driver, a normal trailer won't have come over your side so far and there is no way you could tell with it coming towards you.

Edited by simonk1969

with the greatest of respect to all people commenting, can we please leave this thread for the purpose it was intended... as a guide to installing dashcams?

if you want to post dashcam videos & comment on them, please post them separately in their own thread.

On 28/08/2018 at 11:07, spinifex said:

with the greatest of respect to all people commenting, can we please leave this thread for the purpose it was intended... as a guide to installing dashcams?

if you want to post dashcam videos & comment on them, please post them separately in their own thread.

ahem, with the greatest of respect your first couple of posts covered the install (excellently) id just be happy with the bumps from extra posts if i were you, keeps you near the top.

here's mine.... i was able to tuck the wires out of the way.

20180722_142942.jpg.d98d32eb34bd624d1886aece50af1618.jpg 

personally i wouldnt have put my magic pro there as its easily kicked by a passenger as i found out

Edited by JohnnyType2

On 30/08/2018 at 22:33, JohnnyType2 said:

ahem, with the greatest of respect your first couple of posts covered the install (excellently) id just be happy with the bumps from extra posts if i were you, keeps you near the top.

here's mine.... i was able to tuck the wires out of the way.

personally i wouldnt have put my magic pro there as its easily kicked by a passenger as i found out

All good mate - but I didn't make this thread for the attention or points, but to help others. I'd rather it stayed as a "how to" and don't really care how often it gets bumped to the top.

People can use the search function, if they want to kow how to install a dashcam!

Yours looks very neat though - much neater than mine with my stick on clips holding my wires in place, but I still don't see mine unless I lean forward and go looking for them.

And how does a passenger kick the underside of the glovebox, against the firewall?  Not discounting what you're saying, but I can't fathom just how this would occur?

3 minutes ago, JohnnyType2 said:

well unless they are amputated at the knee every time they lift their leg they will kick the box where you have placed it? no?

Nope - it's mounted on the underside, behind the glovebox, almost against the firewall.

How many times do your passengers rub their legs/knees against the underneath of the glovebox?

1 hour ago, JohnnyType2 said:

..... im assuming you have no kids....

Correct,

And if my kids were sitting so badly in their seat, that they were kicking trims and accessories and things off, they'd be ****ing walking everywhere, with a very sore bottom (as I would have done when I was a kid)

• Like 2

On 02/09/2018 at 03:49, spinifex said:

Correct,

And if my kids were sitting so badly in their seat, that they were kicking trims and accessories and things off, they'd be ****ing walking everywhere, with a very sore bottom (as I would have done when I was a kid)

if i smacked my kids id be walking everywhere if the missus found out. 

i have footwell lights so wouldnt/couldnt put it there anyway.