Sasha’s Octavia vRS

35 minutes ago, SashaGrace said:

My OBDEleven has arrived today so I’m hoping to nip over to my Dad’s later to steal an Android device to start using it. Excited!

ifpdaf.jpg

I think the waste bin courtesy of @the_r_sole has also arrived but it came yesterday and I wasn’t in so I’ll leave in a few mins and get it from the post office. Cheers buddy :)

What can/can't you do with it compared to VCDS??

• Like 1

Dunno, it’s not an alternative to VCDS, I just want to do some coding tweaks and right now can’t really justify £225 or whatever for the Ross-Tech VCDS cable so I spent £35 on this direct from Voltas Italy as they had a sale on around Christmas. I’ll have a play in a bit and see what’s what :)

OBDEleven is very good and whilst it isn't intended to be a replacement for VCDS, it can do most of what you would want to do with it for a fraction of the price.

It does long coding, it does adaptations, it clears fault codes, it allows you to backup modules and their settings, it records all changes. I've used it retrofit or enable additional features, change parameters etc. I've never found it lacking in functionality where I've needed to do something that it couldn't do but VCDS could.

Happy to help if you have any queries :)

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Ozzy25 said:

Can you alter windscreen/headlight washer settings with it. Just gone through a whole washer bottle in just over a week. 

Yes thats just a few adaptation changes I believe - not done it personally but I've seen a few people mention it on here.

Screenwash is much cheaper than OBDEleven if that's all you want to do though ;) Probably better off finding someone in your area with VCDS/OBDEleven and hand some beer tokens for their time.

• Like 1

Well I do like this! Had a play on the OBDEleven today and we have...

igjnew.jpg

Traffic Sign Recognition and Auto High Beam Assist! The auto high beam thingy took a couple of attempts to code properly but it’s all working now. Also done dimming DRL’s when indicating, fan speed in Auto climate and refuel quantity in Maxi-Dot as I bought the PRO package to save money on credits (just what I’ve done today in adaptations would be more in credits than using the PRO and seeing myself exactly what coding changes are being done). I now know there is no comms to the park assist module so I’m hoping the plug has fallen out rather than the module being duff but I’d like to get them working again as they are handy! Otherwise there’s a few more things I’d like to do. Best thing is though my Brother arrived and he’s just upgraded his phone; he offered me his old android phone for free if I wash his car and see what the fault code that’s coming up is, so I have a phone just for OBDEleven now. Brill :D

• Like 4

Yes, same process as VCDS. Took me a few mins to learn my way around but I did it in the end. Only thing is the traffic sign recognition does give a warning on the MFD and status tab that it has restricted functionality but it still worked on all but 1 sign on my home. It only flashes on the MFD and then goes away, same as the ice warning when it’s cold so I don’t mind that, and if I don’t get on with it I can always turn it off :)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SashaGrace said:

Only thing is the traffic sign recognition does give a warning on the MFD and status tab that it has restricted functionality

It is because you don't have Nav. TSR takes some data from the camera and some from the GPS database. If you don't have the nav it comes up with the error. AFAIK still no way round that.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, flybynite said:

It is because you don't have Nav. TSR takes some data from the camera and some from the GPS database. If you don't have the nav it comes up with the error. AFAIK still no way round that.

No it happens on all that have it enabled after it left the factory. I have Columbus and see the message on mine too. No way around it even with NAV.

• Like 1

Just now, ahenners said:

No it happens on all that have it enabled after it left the factory. I have Columbus and see the message on mine too. No way around it even with NAV.

Mine didn't leave the factory with it and I don't have the messages. I have enabled it on four other cars and none of those have messages either. Done using VCDS though.

You have obviously read the threads as you posted on them so you know you also need the big lane assist camera too. I know there were issues on MIB1 Amundsen but never heard of an issue on Columbus.

Did you use VCDS or OBDeleven?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, flybynite said:

Mine didn't leave the factory with it and I don't have the messages. I have enabled it on four other cars and none of those have messages either. Done using VCDS though.

You have obviously read the threads as you posted on them so you know you also need the big lane assist camera too. I know there were issues on MIB1 Amundsen but never heard of an issue on Columbus.

Did you use VCDS or OBDeleven?

Interesting... Used OBDEleven. Did you do anything different to the instructions by andyvee in the thread you quoted? As far as I was aware there is was no solution to stopping the restricted message. Same consensus on other MQB car forums (Golf, Leon, A3) where plenty of people on there enabled it via VCDS and had the same message.

Is yours MIB1 or MIB2 and Amundsen or Columbus?

Edited by ahenners
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, flybynite said:

Yeah I read that, I don’t mind the message, it still did a pretty good job of reading the signs. Mine has the Bolero stereo so no nav at all.

Question though; if I found a used MIB1 Columbus and tried to fit it, would it still active component protection?

1 hour ago, ahenners said:

Interesting... Used OBDEleven. Did you do anything different to the instructions by andyvee in the thread you quoted? As far as I was aware there is was no solution to stopping the restricted message. Same consensus on other MQB car forums (Golf, Leon, A3) where plenty of people on there enabled it via VCDS and had the same message.

Is yours MIB1 or MIB2 and Amundsen or Columbus?

Mine is MIB2 Columbus, works fine. Done other MIB2 and they work as long as everything else is in place. Done MIB1 Columbus with no issues either. Not all have taken but along the lines I expect as they have been MIB1 Amundsen or equivalent.

It is no surprise as AndyVee got it working on his Columbus in 2014 (MIB1)

There are quite a few steps to do, you need to soft reset the controller each time , come out of it and back in with the security code. You have to be quick and methodical as there is also a time issue. 

17 minutes ago, SashaGrace said:

Question though; if I found a used MIB1 Columbus and tried to fit it, would it still active component protection?

Yes component protection will be on that, they purposely make it hard these days to stop the spate of nav units being ripped out of cars and sold on the black market. Skoda won't help officially either unless you pay lots of money. There are certainly units offered on the net that claim to work but always been a bit wary of the 'hacked' units and where they come from.

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, flybynite said:

Mine is MIB2 Columbus, works fine. Done other MIB2 and they work as long as everything else is in place. Done MIB1 Columbus with no issues either. Not all have taken but along the lines I expect as they have been MIB1 Amundsen or equivalent.

It is no surprise as AndyVee got it working on his Columbus in 2014 (MIB1)

There are quite a few steps to do, you need to soft reset the controller each time , come out of it and back in with the security code. You have to be quick and methodical as there is also a time issue. 

Will revert the coding back and re-attempt when I get time - it's been working perfectly for the past year or so, no faults logged on any of the controllers, and I've become oblivious to the warning message about the restriction now.

So if I'm understanding correctly, MIB 2 Amundsen should show no restricted warning, MIB1 and MIB2 Columbus should show no warning, but everything else will?

• Like 1

That’s how I read it. I don’t mind the warning, because I have no nav it’s extra handy as there’s no speed limit data available. Would never rely on it but it’s still a cool feature for those times when you momentarily forget the speed limit in an unfamiliar environment.

17 minutes ago, ahenners said:

So if I'm understanding correctly, MIB 2 Amundsen should show no restricted warning, MIB1 and MIB2 Columbus should show no warning, but everything else will?

That is broadly it however I think it is linked more to some of the controllers rather than the actual head unit. They tended to follow the above but not always.

It is easier when you are simply activating something that is sold as an option, When it was never meant as an option in a particular market it can be more hit and miss as the hardware may not be consistent. One car I was able to do with VCDS after several failed attempts by someone else with OBDeleven. Read into that what you will.

Maybe worth resurrecting the thread in the VCDS section to see if anyone else has anything new?

• Like 2

Funny that as I managed to active TSR which was never an option on a car with Bolero and it worked first time with my OBDEleven. I accept it’s not a VCDS replacement but for £60 (£40 for the dongle and £20 for pro package to do long coding) it’s paid for itself just in what I’ve done so far. VCDS will always be better though.

I’ve got a list of more stuff to do today :)

2 hours ago, SashaGrace said:

Funny that as I managed to active TSR which was never an option on a car with Bolero and it worked first time with my OBDEleven

Probably not clear (as usual :blush ) It was a MIB2 Columbus and was activated but with the error messages. Reversed the OBD 11 coding then done with VCDS and the errors went away. It will not change anything in your case as the Bolero has no nav output anyway but if @ahenners is going to reverse the coding it may be worth someone having a crack with VCDS as his should work. Try some of the options in the 'fusion' list.

• Like 1

Hi Sasha

can I ask you to change your nickname from dumb blond as I have read every post on this thread and not understood a word especially the jargon/initials!!!! 

very clever blond might work

Graham

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, SashaGrace said:

Funny that as I managed to active TSR which was never an option on a car with Bolero and it worked first time with my OBDEleven. I accept it’s not a VCDS replacement but for £60 (£40 for the dongle and £20 for pro package to do long coding) it’s paid for itself just in what I’ve done so far. VCDS will always be better though.

I’ve got a list of more stuff to do today :)

Sasha. Well done. I sat in my car last Weds and using AndyVee's instructions, watched my colleague use his Ross Tech VCDS cable and laptop to do HBA, TSR etc. During his lunchbreak . Mine is possibly MY15, ordered Oct 14, delivered Jan 15 and it has a Bolero without Satnav. TSR didn't work, HBA did work initially but threw up a fault each time bonging in the MFD, so we removed it as it was booked in for its 1st  MOT on Friday. Cornering fogs, headlamp washer frequency and teardrop wipe were installed and work ok. Dual rear fogs didn't work with any combination and an error of LED bar was showing. So mixed results and if we had more time perhaps we would have had a better outcome. My colleague has used his HEX CAN on his last 3 Audis and is experienced user, so what you've  been able to achieve with a £60 outlay is brilliant.  

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, MidlifeC said:

Hi Sasha

can I ask you to change your nickname from dumb blond as I have read every post on this thread and not understood a word especially the jargon/initials!!!! 

very clever blond might work

Graham

Haha, in other ways I’m a bit simple, but when it comes to cars (and hopefully education as I’m doing a Masters in it and hopefully a PhD!) I have something of an understanding :)

41 minutes ago, Ozzy25 said:

Will the OBDEleven work with a tablet as I use an iPhone? €70 delivered for OBD11 and pro pack. Will pro pack let me change more things? What is the story with the credits? I'm a total computer biff. 

You need an Android device like a Samsung to use it as sadly they don’t have an iPhone app. The pro pack enables you to do long coding and check history along with lots of other helpful stuff. As standard, coding wise, all the OBDEleven does is write pre written coding onto the car in exchange for credits, of which you can either buy or get 5 free ones per day by viewing adverts. You get 10 free ones and another free one the first time you log on. If you have the pro pack you can use the instructions like you could on VCDS. 

28 minutes ago, Redboy said:

Sasha. Well done. I sat in my car last Weds and using AndyVee's instructions, watched my colleague use his Ross Tech VCDS cable and laptop to do HBA, TSR etc. During his lunchbreak . Mine is possibly MY15, ordered Oct 14, delivered Jan 15 and it has a Bolero without Satnav. TSR didn't work, HBA did work initially but threw up a fault each time bonging in the MFD, so we removed it as it was booked in for its 1st  MOT on Friday. Cornering fogs, headlamp washer frequency and teardrop wipe were installed and work ok. Dual rear fogs didn't work with any combination and an error of LED bar was showing. So mixed results and if we had more time perhaps we would have had a better outcome. My colleague has used his HEX CAN on his last 3 Audis and is experienced user, so what you've  been able to achieve with a £60 outlay is brilliant.  

I’ve managed some more today, though not all with total success. Got cornering fogs enabled, disabled AM band and attempted to do dual rear fogs and mirror drop, but they didn’t take. Strangely, the car read 5 traffic signs before throwing up an error today. I want to do headlight wash with 2 second pull later. I am liking this little toy!!