Tyre recommendations

inkeys

My Yeti came with pretty much brand new no-name tyres that, although fine in the dry, are dreadful in the wet and on cold roads. I want to replace all four tyres and am looking for the following advice...

- Any recommendations for all season tyres?

- Would there be any issues with me going from 225/50-17 up to a higher profile of 225/55-17?

(Seen these Toyo Proxies for just over £80 fitted....https://www.blackcircles.com/catalogue/toyo/proxes-cf2/225/55/R17/V/97/f?tyre=33016479)

Looking to spend maximum £100 a corner.

Thanks 

I fitted the Michelin Cross Climates in September 2015 and I've done about 20,000 miles on them. I've been very happy with them both in the dray and the wet although being on the South Coast I've not had an opportunity to see what they are like on snow. For me a small benefit has been that they are giving me about 3mpg better than I was getting from the tyres fitted at the factory, based on brim-to-brim fills recorded since new. I know others have their preferred tyres but on my experience so far I'd buy them again. Not sure what they would cost for your size as I opted for 16" wheels from new which saved me a decent amount compared to the same tyre in 17" size but my view has always been that if the only thing between me and a close encounter with something expensive/solid/living is four small patches of rubber then it's worth spending money to try and get the right tyre, price is secondary.

And from another member of the UK16"SpecialBuildClub who uses 'all-season' tyres...

https://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/440301-winter-tyres/?do=findComment&comment=4954511

Since that post we have, of course, had some snow - around 6-10" locally.   Sadly, I didn't think I could just 'go out to play' in the fresh stuff so it had to be the next day or two before the Quads were put to the test.  Essentially, I had no trouble in making fair progress around the lanes, neither in slightly weathered snow, in deep slush nor over frozen slush ridges.  Now approaching 27K miles on two successive Yetis. 

I believe that the Quadraxer 2 is available in a Yeti-suitable 17" now. 

Thanks all. Good advice and I’ll check it out. Not expecting huge benefits on snow, and it’s unlikely to every really get the full white stuff experience anyway. Am a realist, so just want the best all rounder for dry, wet and cold conditions. 

My current inherited tyres are Westlake SV308’s (aka Goodride SV308) and I kid you not; they are the worst tyres I have ever experienced. Even with decent depth remaining on them, in the dry they lose traction often and forget any confidence in icy conditions!

Edited by inkeys

Strange as i used Goodride SV308's 215/40 R 17 for a very cold snowy winter a few back @ 32 psi on a 205 ps 1.4 TSI / DSG Twincharger Fabia.

Only replacing them when the sidewall had a bulge hitting a drain cover that was up on a flooded road.

I fitted them around late July at MOT time and they were great through the Autumn in the Dry, Wet & Cold.

I used for a few thousand miles to Ski Centres and home, and in quite serious road conditions, un-salted / treated roads.

They were not ditch finders and behaved very well on icy or wet or slushy / snowy roads.

Tyre on the car in middle picture is a Maxxis AP2 All Weather, next to it Goodride SV.

(Then a Pirelli Zero Nero, really rubbish in the wet / cold / snow / ice, and with a puncture a Dunlop Sport Maxx , 

the standard fitment tyres which when there are Pulling Left issues Skoda / VW approve replacing with the Pirelli Zero Nero, 

just to disguise the issue with the not Directional tyre with a strong sidewall.)

post-86161-0-01078300-1444393088.jpg.d98a61807a643ba6b06f8a224a4a6333.jpg.44cc49727db349875ca5fe63e546f95d (1).jpg

post-86161-0-01613600-1451087468.jpg.772f2c2c933ff268e4cae2936c3488c5.jpg.be4f3985ad77473d765382971ee76ef1.jpg

Old Flabio & Daisy Jan 2014 004.JPG

Edited by AwaoffSki

There is nothing wrong with Goodride tyres.

If you're having issues with grip I would suggest you firstly double-check the tyre pressures, then get your suspension looked at.

13 hours ago, Paul52 said:

I fitted the Michelin Cross Climates in September 2015 and I've done about 20,000 miles on them. I've been very happy with them both in the dray and the wet although being on the South Coast I've not had an opportunity to see what they are like on snow. For me a small benefit has been that they are giving me about 3mpg better than I was getting from the tyres fitted at the factory, based on brim-to-brim fills recorded since new. I know others have their preferred tyres but on my experience so far I'd buy them again. Not sure what they would cost for your size as I opted for 16" wheels from new which saved me a decent amount compared to the same tyre in 17" size but my view has always been that if the only thing between me and a close encounter with something expensive/solid/living is four small patches of rubber then it's worth spending money to try and get the right tyre, price is secondary.

How does ride comfort and road noise compare with the factory fit tyres? As another member of the 16" club I am looking for something to replace my Goodyear Efficientgrips when they wear, currently changing to Nokians in the Winter but getting a bit too old to bother with switching wheels twice a year!

1 hour ago, Expatman said:

How does ride comfort and road noise compare with the factory fit tyres? As another member of the 16" club I am looking for something to replace my Goodyear Efficientgrips when they wear, currently changing to Nokians in the Winter but getting a bit too old to bother with switching wheels twice a year!

It's two years ago now but from ride comfort was certainly no worse than on the previous tyres, traction was better (particularly in the wet - less tendency to be pulled to the kerb going through deep puddles) and I felt road noise was reduced.

On 12/17/2017 at 18:31, inkeys said:

My Yeti came with pretty much brand new no-name tyres that, although fine in the dry, are dreadful in the wet and on cold roads. I want to replace all four tyres and am looking for the following advice...

- Any recommendations for all season tyres?

- Would there be any issues with me going from 225/50-17 up to a higher profile of 225/55-17?

(Seen these Toyo Proxies for just over £80 fitted....https://www.blackcircles.com/catalogue/toyo/proxes-cf2/225/55/R17/V/97/f?tyre=33016479)

Looking to spend maximum £100 a corner.

Thanks 

Much like Paul52 I fitted a full set of Cross Climates ~20k miles ago.

They replaced OEM (17") Pirelli P Zero Rosso tyres and have prove to be long-lasting (currently ~5mm tread remaining after ~20k miles), a deal quieter than the OEM tyres and pretty decent in the recent snow.

Looking at more recent reviews I may well opt for Goodyear Vector 4seasons, when the time comes to change.

Both the Goodyears and Michelins were >£100 / corner in OEM 225/50/17 spec, although I'd be inclined to stick with the OEM tyre size, given possible insurance / compatibility issues.

Not heard of Goodride tyres, so can't comment on these

8 hours ago, 137699 said:

There is nothing wrong with Goodride tyres.

If you're having issues with grip I would suggest you firstly double-check the tyre pressures, then get your suspension looked at.

Tyre pressures regularly checked and always fine. Suspension also fine and just back from annual service. My experience is they are not great tyres. Maybe I bought a car wearing a dodgy batch of rubber, but honestly - in my opinion - they’re not great.

Other than a cursory visual inspection the suspension is not fully checked on an annual service.

To do a full suspension analysis you need to get the car onto a shaker. That will show up any undue play in any of the suspension joints.

Either there is a suspension issue, or you have placebo brought on from thinking that your "no name" tyres must be rubbish.

Plenty complain about Yeti 1.2 TSI and front wheel spin and traction loss on OEM tyres and new Yeti.

Thousands of others have no issues.

Tyre pressures being important obviously and then that revvy little engine that can have a tendency to spin the front wheels, where the heavier diesel and those with also part time rear wheel drive then get a bot more help pushing as well as pulling

I drove a 1.0TSI DSG Seat Arona yesterday, (smaller than a Yeti.)

what a lovely car in comparison to a 1.2 TSI DSG Yeti even at wet / cold junctions.

Edited by AwaoffSki

On 19/12/2017 at 17:04, 137699 said:

Other than a cursory visual inspection the suspension is not fully checked on an annual service.

To do a full suspension analysis you need to get the car onto a shaker. That will show up any undue play in any of the suspension joints.

Either there is a suspension issue, or you have placebo brought on from thinking that your "no name" tyres must be rubbish.

If the new tyres also create the same experience as the budget Goodride’s then I’ll think about suspension next. Luckily for me, the rears are not far from needing to be replaced anyway and I’m the type of person that ideally wants 4 matching tyres on my cars.

Could be placebo; could be reality - guess I’ll never truly know - but I can say that peace of mind/positive placebo effect may be activated after Saturday and the new rubber fitted to each corner.

Edited by inkeys

14 hours ago, AwaoffSki said:

Plenty complain about Yeti 1.2 TSI and front wheel spin and traction loss on OEM tyres and new Yeti.

Thousands of others have no issues.

Tyre pressures being important obviously and then that revvy little engine that can have a tendency to spin the front wheels, where the heavier diesel and those with also part time rear wheel drive then get a bot more help pushing as well as pulling

I drove a 1.0TSI DSG Seat Arona yesterday, (smaller than a Yeti.)

what a lovely car in comparison to a 1.2 TSI DSG Yeti even at wet / cold junctions.

This I totally get. The little 1.2 is indeed a revvy little thing and maybe I’m also expecting too much from the traction control at times. Recently though, even pulling away from junctions even semi quickly has spun the tyres. 

I find the the same thing happens on occasion with my vintage 3.2 litre BMW M Coupé but for very different reasons :)

I’ve had a couple of sets of GoodYear Vector 4Seasons and have been very happy with them. I think I’ll opt for the Gen2 version next. I’d like the try the Michelin CrossClimates, but they’re a fair bit more expensive, and when the (17”) Yeti tyres are already pretty steep, I can’t warrant the extra expenditure.

I have used Michelin Cross Climates on my 2008 Scout for just under a year now , and in the cold and wet with occasional snow over the past couple of months , they have been peerless up here in Snowdonia . Whilst they are ideal for this type of climate , reviews suggest that Goodyear or Nokia provide better all weather tyres for snowier climates ., but maybe in such conditions I would be thinking summer / winter tyres instead .

• Like 1

I've been using Avon Ice Touring ST tyres for the last four years, they are 215/60 R16 99H XL on 16" steel rims, there is virtually no difference in size to the 225/50 R17 94W original, which are stored in my garage. Don't forget winters are not just for snow. 

Another vote here for the Michelin CrossClimates, (newer plus version in fact). In March I traded in my Yeti for a Golf GT which had

Pirelli 225/45R17s fitted. Had Continental winters and Bridgestone summers on the Yeti but hated the storage/hassle/expense of changing tyres twice a year.

I find the Crossclimate plus tyres to be quieter, more comfortable and sure footed in the icy weather we have had lately. So would thoroughly recommend them. (They cost £113 each fitted).