Bluetooth Module Upgrade

Hi all,

I am looking to upgrade my Octavia's BT module. Someone else on the forum said they had changed their module to one with the part number 3C8 035 730 D. This is very hard to find and I'm wondering  if anyone knows anything  about the 1K8 035 730 D? I currently have bluetooth calls and music but would like to be able  to see track names and control BT music from the headunit (getting SMS functionality would also be nice).

Cheers,

Josh

On 12/26/2017 at 21:07, Eddie-NL said:

There are three versions of bluetooth kit

Low with basic function = 1K8 035 730

Mid with BT streaming = 5K0 or 7P6 035 730

High with Text messages = 3C8 & 5N0 035 730

3c8 035 730D or E will give you Text messages and Wi-Fi with the correct phone

Awesome, thanks. I've found one on eBay for a decent price just not sure if my Huawei Honor 8 will support them all. Might have a crack anyway!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VW-Steuergerat-Interface-Bluetooth-5N0035730/142625068951

You might be disappointed with rSAP/Premium BT.

SMS functionality isn't that great with this generation of car, even with the latest 3C8 035 730 E module fitted:

- It uses rSAP, this effectively removes the SIM card from the mobile phone and turns the BT module into a simple phone.

- This means the mobile will have no signal, no data and no text messages while connected to the car.

- Any calls or texts received while connected will only be kept by the car, when you disconnect they'll be missing from your phone.

To use data services on your phone, you'll need a 3C8 D/E revision which is able to create a 3G WiFi hotspot. It's not always the most reliable and can be slow to reconnect when in low/patchy signal area's.

Which headunit have you got as that'll also effect exactly how the BT module functions...

• 2 weeks later...

Hi I'd just like to piggyback on this thead if possible please.

I have a 2011 Fabia with factory fitted Amundsen head unit and Maxidot display and steering wheel phone controls.

I'm looking to upgrade to BT phone control with music streaming from iPhone as well. Will a 5K0 035 730 or 5N0 035 730 do the job?

If yes, how much can I expect to spend to get this done myself? I'm aware that I will need to have someone enable BT via the VCDS as well.

Thanks in advance.

The 5K0 one ideally with a D or higher on the end will do what you need. The 5n0 035 730 linked is a very old module as it has no suffix. In fact, unless it has a D on the end the 5N0 is obsolete and not much use in newer cars. Even if it had a D on the end, it would offer little extra over the 5K0 for an iPhone other than control in the maxidot (iPhones don't support rSap - as described by langers above).

As well as the module you will need a harness and mic. All in might be 150 and then fitting cost (although that is a pretty easy diy job with guides searchable on here) plus maybe a few beer tokens for the VCDS coding.

However...

If you have an Amundsen, it is worth first pulling the unit out and checking the label for the mac address. If its anything other than 0s there is BT built in and it might only need a mic and vcds coding to get at least calling for no more than 20-30 quid (not sure about streaming but possibly that too).

Edited by adamal

Thanks for this, I'll pull out the head unit tonight and check the MAC.

So if I bought a 5KO 035 730 D, does the BT module work through the Amundsen or is it just connected to the wiring of the car if you see what I mean? Will I be able to pull up my phone book through the head unit and/or just the Maxidot?

Thanks.

Adamal,

I pulled out the head unit last night - couldnt find a MAC Address at all... So I'm slightly stumped. I've attached pics of stickers etc.

As for my next step I'm going to head to the Skoda Main Dealer tomorrow morning and get a quote - although I'm ready to hear huge numbers...

I'm watching a 5KO 035 730 D on fleaBay currently for £100. I'm leaning towards this as my best option for full Maxidot integration. I'll just get a wiring harness and mic from elsewhere - e.g.:-

http://www.carsystems.pl/bluetooth-wiring-a2dp-plug-play-1-5m,id1744.html

Would this all work for me?

Turns out one of my pals has VCDS for his MK5 Golf - I take it this will work in my Fabia?

Cheers

IMG_0538.jpg

IMG_0539.jpg

IMG_0540.JPG

IMG_0542.JPG

That part number is an RNS310 which doesnt have BT. I am also not entirely sure RNS310 work with separate BT modules either. I thought the Amundsen was an RNS315 so my info earlier was based on that sorry.

I suggest you research whether other RNS310 users have ever successfully fitted a BT module.

If so, the harness should be fine if you are happy installing the module behind the head unit but you will need a mic too. A longer 2.5m harness allows you to put the module under the passenger seat which I personally prefer.

VCDS would work on your 2011 Fabia.

Great, thanks for your help.

Leaning towards selling the RNS 310 unit and buying an RNS 315 with bluetooth integrated. I would just need a mic then I think...

Cheers.

1 hour ago, Siento14 said:

Great, thanks for your help.

Leaning towards selling the RNS 310 unit and buying an RNS 315 with bluetooth integrated. I would just need a mic then I think...

Cheers.

Thats what I would do and you might get DAB too...

Edited by adamal

On 12/31/2017 at 21:15, langers2k said:

You might be disappointed with rSAP/Premium BT.

SMS functionality isn't that great with this generation of car, even with the latest 3C8 035 730 E module fitted:

- It uses rSAP, this effectively removes the SIM card from the mobile phone and turns the BT module into a simple phone.

- This means the mobile will have no signal, no data and no text messages while connected to the car.

- Any calls or texts received while connected will only be kept by the car, when you disconnect they'll be missing from your phone.

To use data services on your phone, you'll need a 3C8 D/E revision which is able to create a 3G WiFi hotspot. It's not always the most reliable and can be slow to reconnect when in low/patchy signal area's.

Which headunit have you got as that'll also effect exactly how the BT module functions...

This makes me re-think the upgrade. Especially given the price,  I don't think I'll bother. Thanks a lot for the info!

• 8 months later...
On 26/12/2017 at 10:07, Eddie-NL said:

Hi, sorry to drag up and hijack an old post, but can anyone advise if any of the above modules will work with a Bolero head unit without MaxiDot display?

I have previously retro-fitted a 3C8 035 730 D which worked fine but required plugging into a mate's car to get it paired, however it lost pairing when the battery was off for a couple of days. I'm looking to replace the module with one that can be paired without MaxiDot.

Thanks

If you havent got maxidot you need 5k0 035 730 d or above or 7p6 035 730 j or above. Some earlier lettered suffixes may work too but not quite certain of that. 

• Thanks 2

• 1 month later...

I'm guessing because they are the same part number a VW module will work in a Skoda? Seen some on Ebay which are advertised as VW and only have the VW logo on the sticker that are cheaper than ones with VW, Škoda and Seat logo on. I'm guessing they are still all exactly the same given the same part number?

• 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...
On 26/12/2017 at 12:07, Eddie-NL said:

3c8 035 730D or E will give you Text messages and Wi-Fi with the correct phone

Hello 

What bluetooth upgrade is suitable for a better connection with iPhone 11 ? For Columbus unit on Skoda Octavia 2 facelift 1.4 TSI 

Now I have this one, and there are some delays on phone calls.

649086D9-F9D5-4768-B12E-C02E858A3D26.jpeg