Replace Halogen with LED bulbs

Hi, Could not find any subject about this so I start this.

(Plz refer me if there is already a page, thank you)

I want to replace my Halogen headlight with LED bulbs.  (e.g. https://www.ebay.com/p/Pair-H15-Philips-LED-Chip-High-Beam-Daytime-Running-Light-for-VW-Golf-Tiguan/813893493?iid=371931877097) - For the SKoda ofcourse..

Is it possible at all and are these Philips LED bulbs any good or do any of you have experience with it? (the bulbs I currently have in is H 15 Halogen)

Thanks in advance..

Edited by Cannister

They don’t look like Philips products to me - more like cheap Chinese copies.

A good LED conversion kid would be a lot more expensive than that - see below link from a trusted website in the UK.

https://www.autobulbsdirect.co.uk/h7-philips-ultinon-led-12v-55w-headlight-bulbs-pair.html

1 hour ago, GoneToBeemer said:

They don’t look like Philips products to me - more like cheap Chinese copies.

A good LED conversion kid would be a lot more expensive than that - see below link from a trusted website in the UK.

https://www.autobulbsdirect.co.uk/h7-philips-ultinon-led-12v-55w-headlight-bulbs-pair.html

Yeah if you scroll down the OP link they’ve been quite sneaky. The part number contains the word PHILIPS hence why they’re selling them as that. The manufacturer is PA.  Either way, they’ll be cheap s***e. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, SC03OTT said:

Either way, they’ll be cheap s***e. 

This. Generally, unless it's a bulb made by Philips or Osram, I don't bother buying it anymore. Everything else is generally cheap chinese c**p. They have done some H4/H7 bulbs etc. but can't see anything in H15 fitment.

I would just like to add that OEM fitted LED lights come with a heatsink that in the case of swapping halogen for LED will be missing. As noted earlier, this may cause significant damage.

11 hours ago, paulsoava said:

I would just like to add that OEM fitted LED lights come with a heatsink that in the case of swapping halogen for LED will be missing. As noted earlier, this may cause significant damage.

Most conversion kits do too, well, if they’re good ones and they work!

• 2 weeks later...

Don't!

Same as for xenon, LED also needs proper headlight case, projector, etc. There are people who do such a conversions and do it well, but then the price is something quite different.

The problem with replacement bulbs with xenon HID or LED light source, used in a halogen headlight case, is that they are blinding the other parties on the road, and that's not nice, even if it is legal in certain countries. Not nice, not safe.

Edited by nidza

• 10 months later...
26 minutes ago, fane87 said:

Question: If you change a halogen bulb with an LED, do you need to change something also with VCDS/OBDEleven? Does the car give you an error of broken bulb ?

Yes, and yes - except if it's an unmonitored bulb such as the interior ones.

52 minutes ago, PetrolDave said:

Yes, and yes - except if it's an unmonitored bulb such as the interior ones.

Ok. Good to know. Can you help me with the steps in Vcds or obdeleven, please ? I would apreciate it very much. thank you!