1.2 TSI Oil consumption

I was looking for a topic specific to this engine, but did not find one, so I decided to open one, since i have a question to ask. 

My Fabia 2017 (1.2 TSI 90 - CJZC) , got delivered in June. I am running ~11400km at the moment (~7100 miles), and I had to top up with 2dl (0.2l) of oil (Castrol EDGE FST 5w-30) . Now to me that is somewhat surprising, since I was expecting a bit more consumption, especially in the first 15.000km, and since the oil in the car is 30 grade at operating temperature. I previously owned a 1.2 16v clio (2003), so oil consumption was an everyday thing for me. :D 

I do regular checks, due to my Renault experience, and was surprised and amazed that I could go full service interval without a top up, especially given all the stories I have heard about TSI engines and oil consumption. Because 0,2-0,3dl is not really much, and the engine would be OK even if one would forget to do any check at all in between service intervals.

I also did quite a few WOT pulls while doing data logging on flat terrain and slight uphill. So i guess I might have lost 1dl there, under more "extreme" conditions, compared to everyday driving. I do my checks strictly at operating temperature, once or twice per month. Usually 5-10 minutes max. after getting home from work (a 30 minute drive usually).

My question is for all the owners of 1.2 TSI engines, old or new, all engine codes:

What is/was your oil consumption on average, or how often (and by how much) did you do an oil top-up in between service intervals? And did the oil consumption increase by much after a certain mileage (20k, 40k, 80k,...) and by how much? Of course i am not looking for exact specific numbers, just some approximate ideas.
And I am asking for all engine codes, to get an idea if the new ones consume more/less oil than the older models on average.

Regards.

Edited by Recretos

No measurable consumption at all.

I’ve owned VAG cars since the early 70’ties and have no memory of any with notable oil consumption, maybe a dL att occasions for the 1,6 l early Passats.

Edited by pfaff

Never topped up oil in nearly 2 years. I had my 2016 1.2 TSI 90 serviced last year at 23600 miles, Checked the oil level the same day of service and then 9400 miles later at it's next 33000 mile service I checked the oil a week before and it hadn't dropped. So no oil consumption on my engine.

Recretos, 

You are checking your oil level as it should be, at 'Operating Temperature, parked on the flat and after a few minutes'. 

(Sometimes that is lost in VW Group Owners manual saying 'when warm'.  Translation, German, Spanish, Czech, English, US English issues.)

?

If you check parked on the flat stone cold, where is the oil on the dipstick, and compared to the Operating Temp check, what is the difference.

?

You are not overfilling are you?

2 hours ago, AwaoffSki said:

?

If you check parked on the flat stone cold, where is the oil on the dipstick, and compared to the Operating Temp check, what is the difference.

?

You are not overfilling are you?

I asked the service guy at the dealership at delivery about oil top-ups (blame it on my Clio experience), and he actually said that these engines should never need an oil top-up, regardless of what the manual says about "normal" oil consumption. 

And based on all your feedback and my experience, he is right. I also wouldnt need a top-up. 2dcl on 11.400km, would be less than 3dcl at service interval. And that would barely get you (if at all) half way to the Minimum mark on the oil dipstik, which means I could still go for thousands without actually needing a top up. 

I basicay did it because of an old habit from past experience. I just like to keep everything at optimal levels as far as machines go. I live on a small farm with quite a few machines, so checking and servicing all is pretty much a habit. :)

This was the first time I did a top-up on this car, but in reality, it would not be necesarry. The oil level was above half way to MIN, when at Op.Temp., and a bit more when cold, since it takes some time for all the oil to flow back down.

And no, I didnt overfill, since I check the oil when the engine is warm, but I top-up when its cold, to prevent overfilling.

For me, the very low oil consumption is another big plus for this engine. Another plus is the quality of the oil itself after 7100+ miles. Its not that burned at all, compared to some other cars in the family (and by relatives) that I do oil checks on. It still has that nice brownish color, unlike the black matter I had in my Clio at 2000 miles already, despite using quality oil.

I am, lets say, reasonably familiar with the "engineering aspect" of the 1.2TSi engine, so I shouldnt be surprised by all of this. As far as the oil quality/color goes, I guess the fuel quality should also be credited. I usually run high quality 100 RON fuel from OMV (tested cat.5 on WWFC quality scale). 

I am now on 95 RON for the purpose of data logging, but will go back to 100 RON later, since the quality is better, it has active cleaning agents and friction modifiers, and the price is not that much higher. Plus, these engines do benefit from higher octane fuel in terms of performance, tho that shouldnt be the reason for using 100 RON in the 1.2, unless you tune the car or you have a 2.0 TSi. :D

I also noticed better fuel economy on the 100 RON. But I dont have scientific evidence to prove that, except my wallet. :D I am doing 40 or better MpG (5.8l per 100km) on 95 RON for the past 2 miles (did a reset then, to measure for winter time), got down to 44mpg on 100 RON in autumn on summer tires, on same routes. But I do a lot of uphill driving, since I live at 1050m (3450ft) above sea level. 

Thank you all for the feedback

Edited by Recretos

These engines have a small oil capacity, and are good at getting the oil cool once it goes into the high 90's. 100's *oC, 

But personally i would not use VWS recommended Long Life Oil, and go to 5w 40 FS VW 502 00.

VW504 00 5w 30 FS LL might be long life oil, but often means shorter life TSI engines.

(This was a big issue with 1.4 TSI Twinchargers, and Euro 5 1.8 TSI & 2.0 TSI's)

Not much with the earlier 1.2 TSI's, they had their own timing chain / tensioner issues.

So your fuel is 100 octane or even  100+,  the car loves the Methanol and cares not one bit about secret detergents. (Sodium)

Good stuff there.

You do not need Detergents and the possible Bore Wash that some TSI suffered, 1.2, 1.4, 1.8 & 2.0TSI, 

& maybe even the 1.2 TSI you have, Euro 6, and the 1.0TSI might show come time.

(In the UK the 99 ron minimum that is available is sometimes exactly as yours, 100 ron minimum, or 100+ even)

What does the manual say about 'Normal Oil Consumption'.?  

They all say, May use as much as 0.5 litre / 1,000 km,  More in first 5,000 km etc

That is for, 3, 4, 5, 6, 8. 12 cylinder Petrol or Diesel and is a VW Get out.

Example of what VW group / Skoda Owners manuals have said for many years.

Here is the, 

"it is normal',   well it can be, but it is not, that is German translation again, used to confuse and kid many on, 

what is normal is that VW are full of cr4p.

w960_4095-227.png

Edited by AwaoffSki

1 hour ago, AwaoffSki said:

Good stuff there

Am I sensing some sarcasm there, or are you being legit? :)

As far as bore wash goes, I am not familiar with that problem on this engine. I would assume that would require some kind of malfunction, like cranking for a prolonged period without starting, or an injector problem.

And I agree that the 0.5l per 1000km is a nasty and cheap way out. Cheap for VAG, not for the poor soul that takes that as an actual norm.

I would take the last still acceptable normal oil consumption, for the oil to drop down to near (not to) MIN mark on the dipstik. Basically for the engine to not require a top-up between services.

And 0.5l per 1000km is certainly far from that. Thats a seized engine half way into the service interval, for an unsuspecting (or ignorant) user. Not sure in what fantasy land is that normal.

Edited by Recretos

Legit.

Bore wash was a major 1.4 TSI Twincharger, 160,170 & 180 ps issue, Inlet, heat, & Software a major part of the problem.

In lesser cases it is an issue with some TSI's and Oils, maybe Long Life oils, and Petrols / Additive Packages.

http://www.revotechnik.com/support/technical/14tsi-twincharger-engine-issues 

Edited by AwaoffSki

My wife has run a 1.2TSI 110PS Polo from new in August 2015 and it has run roughly 18,500 miles - and it has never ever needed any oil between its 12 monthly services, and really no noticeable drop in oil level in between services.

This is good, but, when the warranty has run out and I am servicing the car myself, it might lead to me running out of empty oil containers. At present I am running down my previous accumulated stock of empty oil containers gathered up from owning a 2000 VW Passat 4Motion 2.8V6 193PS for 13 years and a 2002 VW Polo 1.4 16V 75PS also for 13 years!  Every blue sky has a small dark cloud somewhere?

Edit:- actually most of the used oil in the Polo 1.4 16V came through the oil separator due to an early life malfunction in it that only took me about 6 years to consider being the problem!

Edited by rum4mo

On 05/01/2018 at 17:55, Recretos said:

Am I sensing some sarcasm there, or are you being legit? :)

As far as bore wash goes, I am not familiar with that problem on this engine. I would assume that would require some kind of malfunction, like cranking for a prolonged period without starting, or an injector problem.

And I agree that the 0.5l per 1000km is a nasty and cheap way out. Cheap for VAG, not for the poor soul that takes that as an actual norm.

I would take the last still acceptable normal oil consumption, for the oil to drop down to near (not to) MIN mark on the dipstik. Basically for the engine to not require a top-up between services.

And 0.5l per 1000km is certainly far from that. Thats a seized engine half way into the service interval, for an unsuspecting (or ignorant) user. Not sure in what fantasy land is that normal.

My own 2017 110ps 1.2TSI hasn't used any noticeable amount of oil. It's on the full mark when hot. Just a point to note, my manual tells me not to let the oil level fall below 2/3rds of the way down the cross hatched area of the dipstick. If it does engine damage will result! So on no account should anyone let it go down to the minimum level. Regarding the 0.5ltrs of oil being acceptable useage, it's normal for most manufacturers to say that. Never had an engine use any amount of oil though in 48 years of motoring. I was a master tech and engine design and development engineer, we quoted a similar figure for our engines.

The Fabia III will warn you if the oil level is getting close the the bottom mark on the dipstick.

Bleep and visual warning in the MFD.

Thanks AG Falco

In some when enthusiastic driving is being done and oil checking has not been done the Low Oil Pressure light or Maxidot message might show before a Low Oil light or Maxidiot message, so never worth trusting to lights or messages especially with engines with quite small oil capacities.

Then remember if you stop and open the bonnet for more than 30 seconds the Warning Light for low oil will go out for as much as 60 miles even if no oil is added.

This  ^^^....what he says!

Don't ever rely on the dash warning lights for low oil. They cannot be trusted. I proved that over and over on various makes and models. Our workshops were littered with damaged engines over the years by folks who actually believed the lights would tell them when oil was low. It can be too late when that happens and your Mk3 manual tells you not to let the oil fall below 2/3rds of the way down the cross hatched area (1.2TSI) because engine damage will result.

Edited by Estate Man

• 3 weeks later...