Get ya Tints out!

Hi guys,

Been looking at getting some aftermarket tints done, mainly to keep the sun out of my lad's eyes, without being too dark for him to see out etc. Think the tinting company I'm planning to use have 7%, 23% and 35% tint options. What would you guys recommend, or even better if you have a pic of your tints, could you share it and the tint level so I can get an idea of how dark it will be?

Thanks in advance! 

Just now, GoneToBeemer said:

I had 25% on my O3, but don’t have any pics any more, sorry! 

It it was a bit darker than standard fit sunset glass if that helps.

Thanks that is useful. From the pics I've seen the standard sunset glass has quite a light tint, compared to say Ford's equivalent. The 23% tint option did look decent on pics of other customers' cars they have done, so I'm probably swaying between 23 and 35% options.

Just now, ahenners said:

Thanks that is useful. From the pics I've seen the standard sunset glass has quite a light tint, compared to say Ford's equivalent. The 23% tint option did look decent on pics of other customers' cars they have done, so I'm probably swaying between 23 and 35% options.

Sorry just checked, it was 15%.

You can see if you look at old for sale link I’d put for my winter wheels.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, GoneToBeemer said:

Sorry just checked, it was 15%.

You can see if you look at old for sale link I’d put for my winter wheels.

Spot on, thanks. Does look good that - dark but still able to see through :) 

• Like 1

Had ~20% on the sides and 50 on the rear screen so it's still easy to see through the mirror. 

20 is hard to see through from outside, but ok inside out. 

50 much too light for sides. But on rear with black interior just disguises what's in the back until you get closer. 

Could have gone 35 rear screen,  but wanted better rear vis at night when reversing. 

Previously had 5 at sides in other car, but it was too dark really when trying to look over your shoulder through the rear windows.  

Pics when is daylight. 

• Like 1

On previous cars I’ve had tinted I have gone for 25%. It’s a really good compromise IMO. I have factory tints on both the Skoda’s and the Merc has this nice light blue tinted glass all round.

I would say 23% on the sides and maybe 35% on the rear glass would be ideal :)

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, ahenners said:

@Damo that looks good on black!

@SashaGrace and @DB67 thanks both for that, useful input. Might go 23 on sides and 35 on the rear then to help with night time rear visibility. :)

Think it’ll end up looking a little odd with different shades of tint? Mind you, not seen one to be able to tell for sure.

Edited by GoneToBeemer
  • Like 1

It’s hard to notice the difference, and it really helps from inside. Another option is to limo tint the sides and have dark smoke colour on the back to help at night.

A mate of mine decided to go for 7% inlet and the car looked awesome (it was a Honda Accord Type R) but you couldn’t see a thing from the back and it was horrendous to travel in. He admitted it was the wrong thing to do in hindsight.

20 minutes ago, GoneToBeemer said:

Think it’ll end up looking a little odd with different shades of tint? Mind you, not seen one to be able to tell for sure.

That is a concern, will see what the tinter suggests and maybe see if we can put a sample next to each other to see for sure.

9 hours ago, ahenners said:

That is a concern, will see what the tinter suggests and maybe see if we can put a sample next to each other to see for sure.

5% all around. 

I don't really worry about what's behind me as the parking sensors pick anything up when reversing and half the time I drive straight into the space anyway! 

IMG_6816.PNG

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, courty said:

5% all around. 

I don't really worry about what's behind me as the parking sensors pick anything up when reversing and half the time I drive straight into the space anyway! 

IMG_6816.PNG

Thanks Courty, that looks good on Race Blue!

• Thanks 1

My 230 has Sunset glass from the Factory.  Dark on the outside but you can see out ok. No problem with the rear screen whilst reversing and the rear dash cam works fine. The tint colour is just about right.  Have you considered shades on the side windows, removerable if required.

39 minutes ago, Auric Goldfinger said:

My 230 has Sunset glass from the Factory.  Dark on the outside but you can see out ok. No problem with the rear screen whilst reversing and the rear dash cam works fine. The tint colour is just about right.  Have you considered shades on the side windows, removerable if required.

I had privacy shades on the rear of my MK2 FL and whilst they were good, the split in the rear blind annoyed the hell out of me, and I'd be concerned now my lad is older (2) he will pull the blind out of the clips on his side. 

Tints do look better as well :)

55 minutes ago, Dave77 said:

I just had 20% done on rear side and boot for the same reasons, kid in back. I initially asked for 30% but the fitter suggested 20 would be better. Happy with the result!

Thanks Dave77! The 23% does look to be the best compromise of dark but not too dark. 

1 hour ago, ahenners said:

Thanks Dave77! The 23% does look to be the best compromise of dark but not too dark. 

Where abouts are you based ahenners?

Was just thinking, the % tints you’re being offered just seem a bit strange? Normally they go down in increments like 35%, 25%, 15%, 5% etc.

Also if you’ve never had tinting done before, just make sure you’re using a really reputable tinter - there’s a few who are so good they don’t need to take the car panels off to do the rear etc, and can just do it with everything in place. I wouldn’t particularly want someone pulling my new car to bits to put a window film on! 

Just now, GoneToBeemer said:

Where abouts are you based ahenners?

Was just thinking, the % tints you’re being offered just seem a bit strange? Normally they go down in increments like 35%, 25%, 15%, 5% etc.

Also if you’ve never had tinting done before, just make sure you’re using a really reputable tinter - there’s a few who are so good they don’t need to take the car panels off to do the rear etc, and can just do it with everything in place. I wouldn’t particularly want someone pulling my new car to bits to put a window film on! 

Near Preston, Lancs. Tinter is in Preston and has a unit. They are quite reputable, 15 years experience, and they also did the windows of both large offices of my workplace.

Just now, ahenners said:

Near Preston, Lancs. Tinter is in Preston and has a unit. They are quite reputable, 15 years experience, and they also did the windows of both large offices of my workplace.

Good stuff - there’s a lot of cowboys out there tempting people in with cheap prices...I’d rather pay a little bit more and have the job done right!

1 minute ago, GoneToBeemer said:

Good stuff - there’s a lot of cowboys out there tempting people in with cheap prices...I’d rather pay a little bit more and have the job done right!

Yeah, their price was also quite reasonable; £160.

There's a few other places nearby but I'm not sure of their experience, have not seen their work first hand, and this guy does quite a few bits for some of the car dealerships in the Preston area. Like you, I'd rather take it somewhere where I can be sure the work is going to be good, than saving a few quid :)

Thanks everyone who posted. Had them done today and really happy with the result! Or at least I would have been, if the rear door tweeters had been plugged back in! Tinter removed the door cards  and either forgot or hadn't realised they'd become unplugged. A couple of door cards removed and a broken window switch later (don't ask!), and we are all good. 

Went for the 23% dark smoke tint. Plenty dark enough without being too dark.

BKZg4E.jpg

6bx1bz.jpg

• Like 1