Running Boards; Expensive Bauble or Useful Accessory

Falkster

Showing your age there Wiggo...if you believe the hype they help you and your passengers climb into the vehicle and also serve to reach the roof for cleaning or roof box...and styling...

15 minutes ago, andyvee said:

Still silly money!

I must admit they look good, but not £700 good. £300 maybe.

You can't use them where you live anyway Andy, you'll ground on the Streets of San Francisco!:D

Edited by Falkster
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, silver1011 said:

I've bought from AliExpress before, non-genuine but at this price worth a go...

£205 inc. delivery to the UK...

TB23iXEwb0kpuFjy0FjXXcBbVXa_!!2078202885

I like the look of that Silver....

Edited by Falkster
  • Like 1

I was interested for two reasons. First I could use them to access my roofbox. I am 5' 7 and have previously 'tentatively' used the sill to reach in. Also as extra protection to the door openers of the world who are happy to ding my doors. However there is the price, it is expensive for the skoda originals. Second is fitting. I cannot get the fitting instructions for the skoda ones but was informed by Superskoda that they require dealer install. Also if drilling is required or the undertray needs cutting I do not trust any dealer enough to care to do a proper job. I'd hope existing mounting points would be used but cannot confirm. Lastly there is cleaning. I would imagine they will collect debris quite efficiently and be a pain to clean underneath. I like the look of them to be honest but don't feel the benefits outweigh the cons. They also reduce clearance a little, not an issue unless you have a situation to need to use all the available clearance under the car.

A storage box / steps on is much cheaper for getting to a roof box, and quite handy.

Can be sat on the snow, pavement or what ever to give that extra reach. Without car doors needing to be open.

Snowed up, iced up running boards are a PITA ime.

Running boards are not that much help at protecting door skins if the wrong kind of vehicle door is being opened against your Kodiak.

stand-n-store-big-closed.jpg

Edited by AwaoffSki
  • Like 1

Lol .. to be fair I have one of those kitchen blue steps not unlike the contraption above. And a small ladder to clean the roof when washing the car which amuses my neighbour no end. True indeed regarding vehicle type.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Anyone here with the side bars fitted? I'm curious as to how they are attached.

This aftermarket kit looks horrendous, they've removed the Skoda access panel that covers the mounting points but then had to cut away huge chunks of the main plastic undertray with what I assume was a butter knife :o

Don't open this fitting guide if you are of a nervous disposition, the high-res images are enough to turn the stomach!

https://images.esellerpro.com/3749/I/111/534/Skoda Kodiaq Side Steps Fitting Guide.pdf

Look at all the exposed non-painted brackets, off-the-shelf nuts and bolts (are they even galvanised or stainless?). Give them a couple of salted winters and they'll be completely corroded.

Hopefully this is the reason the genuine Skoda bars are so expensive, they're better tailored to fit the Kodiaq?

Edited by silver1011
  • Sad 2

The brackets and mounting system for the genuine Skoda bars do at least look more bespoke.

Anyone know how I might get a copy of the fitting instructions (little booklet seen in the pictures below), no doubt this will offer some better information of how they're attached...

565071691-5.thumb.jpg.66edd4724f921e41f00eb0293cd8e2da.jpg

565071691-6.thumb.jpg.7b4c069c69e849a015f709f0a8847548.jpg

• Like 1

On 3/31/2018 at 11:27, silver1011 said:

Anyone here with the side bars fitted? I'm curious as to how they are attached.

This aftermarket kit looks horrendous, they've removed the Skoda access panel that covers the mounting points but then had to cut away huge chunks of the main plastic undertray with what I assume was a butter knife :o

Don't open this fitting guide if you are of a nervous disposition, the high-res images are enough to turn the stomach!

https://images.esellerpro.com/3749/I/111/534/Skoda Kodiaq Side Steps Fitting Guide.pdf

Look at all the exposed non-painted brackets, off-the-shelf nuts and bolts (are they even galvanised or stainless?). Give them a couple of salted winters and they'll be completely corroded.

Hopefully this is the reason the genuine Skoda bars are so expensive, they're better tailored to fit the Kodiaq?

0.58 seconds..................... cutting out the under tray, NO THANK YOU.

Think of all the water, salt, road gunge that will get in there and corrode the underside of you nice car.   :crying:

• 1 month later...

Just had a call from the dealer, the car is due to arrive with them in few days.

They've said they've allowed an extra two days to fit the running boards before handover!

Apparently the doors have to come off to fit them :sweat:

I'll be sure to add some photo's from underneath once I have the car.

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

Collected the car today and promptly clambered underneath to see how the running boards are attached.

Miles cleaner than the aftermarket versions, no visible metal brackets or bolts to corrode. All very neat and bespoke, but then I should hope so for the price...

IMG_0355.thumb.JPG.cd975b12fff1e0ffa2f1d7a610dfb578.JPG

IMG_0356.thumb.JPG.0691e7b0ca75deecae3c04185e3477cd.JPG

IMG_0357.thumb.JPG.9a8c63e960ac89e0125dcff80579f84f.JPG

IMG_0358.thumb.JPG.7efc8c5c11c2068ab4a9aff851b5ae2f.JPG

IMG_0359.thumb.JPG.f2c6a8831345e2a9c2fbfdc8742a5740.JPG

Only downside, the front mudflaps won't fit if the running boards are fitted.

Kids love them though, makes it much easier for the little one to clamber aboard.

Took a picture of the suspension whilst I was down there, for no other reason than it was in view :D

IMG_0363.thumb.JPG.ebb213afcbecd3fb1750fc488f36427e.JPG

IMG_0366.thumb.JPG.acb6a8cafd571f3d359fcff81c9996bc.JPG

IMG_0364.thumb.JPG.03660ae34b45b5765887ea5f34e7297d.JPG

Edited by silver1011