Tell me what discs and pads please?

Afternoon all,

So I went for a service last month at the dealers and they informed me that my discs and pads need changing as they are corroded around the rim. They pointed this out and yeah they do look a bit corroded but there is zero reduction in the effectiveness of the brakes. 

Anyway, they produced a list for the discs and pads front and rear. £900+ :o

So onto trusty old BRISKODA to ask the knowledgeable Gentlemen (and Ladies) how I can do this for a more reasonable cost, I've had a look for discs and pads and was instantly confused as to what is what.

Octavia vRS 230, any advice much appreciated! 

38 minutes ago, VRS230 said:

there is zero reduction in the effectiveness of the brakes

So ignore the money-grabbing dealer and do nothing. 

Dealerships will tell nearly everyone that takes a car to them the same thing.

Almost all discs corrode around the rim, it doesn't matter, except cosmetically.

18 minutes ago, Wino said:

Almost all discs corrode around the rim, it doesn't matter, except cosmetically.

Let's hope it wasn't the same dealer that used to look after my car before my ownership they did rip the former keeper off , By the parts yourself and if your clued up fit them too its pretty simple really.

But if there ok and don't need doing ....the wallet is safe.

Dealers .... Who loves em

ATE infinite loop groove discs to clear stones etc...& get the standard ATE pads as their Ceramic pads only work with their non grooved discs...otherwise serious squeal...

ATE make it very high tolerances & standards & don't shout about it...many so called "race/track" discs have standard features that the ATE stuff has but to a lesser tolerance...

& I have over 23yrs tried most aftermarket stuff & found the ATE stuff to be the best so far...unless money & then AP racing or Vagbremtechnic "J" hook design stuff is good..

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, fabdavrav said:

ATE infinite loop groove discs to clear stones etc...& get the standard ATE pads as their Ceramic pads only work with their non grooved discs...otherwise serious squeal...

ATE make it very high tolerances & standards & don't shout about it...many so called "race/track" discs have standard features that the ATE stuff has but to a lesser tolerance...

& I have over 23yrs tried most aftermarket stuff & found the ATE stuff to be the best so far...unless money & then AP racing or Vagbremtechnic "J" hook design stuff is good..

Exactly this ^^^ I would only add that Brembo mainstream 'OEM' stuff is good also but ATE is on just about everything I have.

2 hours ago, Wino said:

Exactly this!

When I has my last car serviced prior to return (BMW) they gave me this exact same patter.  Complete nonsense!!

• Thanks 1

I'll be replacing mine with ATE when mine are due. As mentioned, some corrosion around the rim is to be expected and doesn't automatically warrant replacement.

Last time I priced up ATE discs with Pagid pads, think the parts came under £300 (that's with the 340mm fronts).

Saved myself over £300 brought parts that were highly recommended and did it over a weekend taking my time and feeling chuffed now 

Main dealers need to be slapped down ( that's my opinion there are some genuine ones as well as rip off ones)