Suzuki Swift or Fabia?

Chris GB

Been looking around for a new driver training car. I fancy something quieter and roomier than the current Citigo, which has been excellent. I've boiled the choice down to the Fabia  TSi95 or Swift sz5. You'll all be familiarish with the Fabia, but anyone got any experience with the Swift? The sz5 uses an unusual powertrain. A mild hybrid setup, it uses a 1L triple and motor / generator unit to harvest and return energy. Had a test drive in one today and it is a very impressive powertrain to drive. Integration of the hybrid drive is seamless and pretty much undetectable in general use. The interior is a bit cheap'n cheerful, but fully loaded with toys. Ride is firm, but the car feels alert and up on its toes when the bends come. Noise is reasonable for the segment, but wind noise was noticeable on the test drive, but it was blowing a gale. Sound system is good. 

I also had a test in the Fabia SE TSi 95. A very different proposition to the Swift, the powertrain seemed slow to respond and soft edged. I didn't extend it as the car had only covered a handful of miles. Ride was supple and relatively soft, giving the impression of a much larger car than it is. Road noise was similar to the Swift, wind noise better hushed, but the gale had ceased for this drive, so not really comparable. The interior is in a different league to the Swift. Much more mature in it's execution, but quite sparse in terms of kit.Sound system was very good. Speccing up the SE (or SEL) to match the kit level in the Swift gets hideously expensive. So a more grown up and comfortable car, but less fun as a result.

A question for the Amundsen sat nav users. What happens when the one year connectivity package runs out? Cost to renew? I'm no way paying £400 for a three year subscription.

Anyone here had any experience of the Swift? 

Edited by Chris GB

Similar thoughts here albeit not as a driver training car (for me, considering Fabia 1.0 tsi 110 vs Swift SZ5).   I used to own a Mk1 Fabia (then Rapid, now Toledo).

Have had a few test drives of both Fabia and Swift at different dealers.   My, entirely personal, opinion is similar to OP.   The Fabia has it on overall space (bigger 'boot', possibly rear passenger room although the Swift is better than I anticipated for rear legroom);   less wind noise at motorway speeds (the Swift does seem to generate more wind noise even when not in a gale);   better ride quality on uneven surfaces (unless the Fabia is an SEL, MC on 215/45R16 tyres when the difference narrows);   more 'mature' driving experience (whatever that is).

The Swift has it on just about everything else.   All hard plastics inside but so is the Fabia;   build quality seemed fine (new Swift is made in Japan, not Hungary or India).   I will probably be buying one later this year - thinking Japanese mini.     I do around 15k miles pa, a few bits and pieces that caught my interest include the full LED headlights, adaptive cruise control (along with the dual sensor brake support, etc.) and high beam assist (auto-dipping headlights - if they work - didn't get the chance to test).   The electrically folding door mirrors would also be of benefit to me.    All this standard on SZ5 trim.

Above all though, I just think that the Swift is just more enjoyable to drive.   Not especially fast - although some road tests suggest that the quoted acceleration figures are overly conservative - but fun.    It is often said that 4 wheels move the body and 2 wheels move the soul.   Being an almost-senior-citizen and planning to sell my last set of (powered) 2 wheels this spring, I may trade the 'maturity' of the Fabia for the 'fun' of the Swift - even if I need to pay my dentist (even) more money to fix my fillings that will probably be shaken loose...

One other consideration if you do a higher than average annual mileage, e.g. driver training car or even my 15k, is maintenance/servicing costs.    The Swift servicing regime is 12.5k miles/12 months whereas the Fabia can be set to variable servicing (if you are willing to risk such extended oil changes - I accept that opinions vary on this).    However, I had a chat with the service manager at my local Suzuki dealer;   he quoted me (in writing) some servicing prices less than the 'book' Suzuki figures.   He was quite open that he knew that I would take the car to an indy as soon as it was out of warranty otherwise.    A lot more accommodating than any VAG dealer that I have ever met...   and the Swift has a chain cam engine so no belt to change.

17 minutes ago, KenONeill said:

@Chris GB - Well, my young cousin had a Swift, and replaced it with a V@*xh@11 C0r$@ which I think should say it all about how bad the Swift (well her's anyway) is/was.

What Swift was it and what year?

I had a basic Swift as a loan car a few months ago (although it was an auto as they had run out of manual) and it was a pretty nice car. It's built to a cost, much like my Vitara but has a generous amount of kit, especially in range topping SZ5 spec. The only thing I can think of that might be a fly in the ointment is the collision avoidance detection thingummy is very sensitive in my Vitara and I assume it will be the same radar based one in the Swift. You can knock back to a less sensitive setting though (near and far), but it still occasionally gets confused with a stationary vehicles on a bend. Having said that I swapped cars several times recently with a colleague who has an RS4 and his car was just as sensitive in exactly the same spots, so perhaps it's inherent to the safety protocols they use? The Sat Nav and such like are pretty much the same as in my Vitara and is OK, not great, but gets the job done and the voice command system works reasonably well, quite commendable really, as I have a Geordie accent :D)

On a positive note, the Swift is a light car and handles a bit more like the way cars used to (halcyon days of the 205 etc) and I actually enjoyed chucking it about :)  Also Suzuki dealers seem a very friendly bunch, more so than when my Octy II died on a forecourt of the main dealers when it was only about a year old :D I'm sure the Furby is a Polo clone and a very nice place to spend long periods of time in, but I have a sneaking suspicion the Swift is more fun to drive :o

...and on that bomb shell, I'll get my coat....

Edited by Lady Elanore
  • Like 1

I also have ambivalent thoughts about the radar/laser brake support systems on many new cars.   On one test drive in a Swift SZ5 the system flashed (and shouted) a warning at me;   was driving in heavy traffic but couldn't see any reason for it.    Thankfully just a warning, brakes not applied.   Unlike here:

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2017/dec/17/suzuki-swift-review-a-proper-terrier

I'm not so arrogant as to think that I could never make a mistake and shunt someone;    but in over 40 years driving I haven't done it yet (there's still time...).    Just mulling over the risk of me making a mistake as opposed to getting rear-ended because the system designed for improved safety decides to go into full emergency-stop mode for no good reason.   I'm not sure whether or not the system on the Swift can be switched off.

As an aside, I owned two 205s.   Great to drive.   Pity about the build quality (as in lack of).

I'm interested in this as thread as I'm also having thoughts about a replacement for my ageing Civic.  It still goes well but is starting to have a few niggles and I'm looking around at cheap runabouts to replace it for my short commute to work (4 miles or so) and my longer runs for work.

Thus far the list includes the likes of Suzuki Swift, Suzuki Baleno, Hyundai i20, Mazda 2 - all cheap and cheerful and at the lower end of the market.  Certainly the Swift and Mazda 2 are the tempting ones at the minute...

Must admit, I'm no fan of automated brake applications. Both the Fabia and Swift have it. You can easily switch it off in the Swift. Not asked the question about it on the Fabia.

Edited by Chris GB

34 minutes ago, Chris GB said:

Must admit, I'm no fan of automated brake applications. Both the Fabia and Swift have it. You can easily switch it off in the Swift. Not asked the question about it on the Fabia.

According to the manual the Front Assist can be disabled on the Fabia via the multi-function steering wheel. Never had a problem with mine, a couple of warnings when it thought that the gap to the vehicle ahead was closely rapidly and I hadn't yet applied any brake but no automatic brake activatons.

Neil.

44 minutes ago, Chris GB said:

Must admit, I'm no fan of automated brake applications. 

Likewise. For me it's like ABS and traction control (inc EPS). You should try to never use it, and it should let you know when you are!

I was surprised that a RS4 which must have cost £70k+ only 3 years ago has a system that appears no less prone to mistakes than my £22k (top of the range 2 years ago :D  ) Suzuki 

The anti collision on mine only has a near and far setting. Also the cruise control only has the distance settings and not one to turn it off. I really hate radar cruise control. You move back into the inside lane and suddenly start to undertake the vehicle hogging the outer lanes

I've read on a review somewhere that the system is adjustable.

Anyway, the deed is done, I've ordered the Swift. A big price advantage helped the decision along, however, the biggest influence was the way the two cars compared on a B road: the Swift is quite stiff, but what is immediately obvious is how well the spring rates and damping work in phase. More to the point, the car felt "right" over undulations and camber changes. The Fabia's undoing was a stretch of B road to the north of Colchester. This stretch of NSL road had plenty of gentle sweepers and the usual assortment of continuously undulating surfaces. The Citigo is very comfortable at 60mph along here, you feel the undulations, but the car checks it's body movements well. The Fabia, on the other hand, seemed to get itself out of phase with the road. Backing off 10mph felt prudent, but the chassis just didn't settle to the task at all, bouncing along with an unnatural gait. Add the Swift's much more accurately responsive powertrain and the Fabia was struggling.

Given that, for me, one of the few pleasures left in a day's driving is a good cruise down a gnarly B road, the Fabia's fate was sealed.

It's a big step for me, moving away from Skoda. Good dependable cars, an excellent local service agent, given up for a leap in the dark as it where. The only Suzuki's I've experienced before only had two wheels.

I'll report back once the Swift is up and running.

• Like 4

I'm looking forward to reading your views on it. I think a lot of people are put off from buying Suzukis owing to their 'weight saving' build quality. But so far mine has been fine hammering up and down motorways, excursions on the beach, and cut and thrust dueling in city centres. I do wish it warmed up quicker, but that part of the price for something so efficient. I still can't get it below 50mpg and I'm not a light footed driver usually.  

12 minutes ago, Lady Elanore said:

I'm looking forward to reading your views on it. I think a lot of people are put off from buying Suzukis owing to their 'weight saving' build quality. But so far mine has been fine hammering up and down motorways, excursions on the beach, and cut and thrust dueling in city centres. I do wish it warmed up quicker, but that part of the price for something so efficient. I still can't get it below 50mpg and I'm not a light footed driver usually.  

Shouldn't be too long, the dealer has one in stock, so I'll collect it Wednesday.

• Like 1

Will also be very interested to read views - hope you like it.

As it happens, there is now a link in the 'Auto Tests' section to this review of the (Maruti) Suzuki Baleno:

http://www.drivelife.co.nz/2018/01/2017-suzuki-baleno-rs-car-review-swift-spacious/

The car tested is a NZ spec Baleno RS, broadly equivalent to a UK spec SZ5 auto.    For someone who should perhaps be acting his age, rather than shoe size, this is probably another consideration.    Made in India with 'world car' styling, e.g. chromed door handles and boot spoiler, but softer ride appeals to me...

Interested in the comment (Lady Elanore) about the warm up time (assume that this is the 1.4 boosterjet engine).   Some 'downsized' turbo petrol engines (Ford, VAG) have two coolant circuits.    Without going into the complexities thereof, one effect is to supply warm air to the cabin faster than would otherwise be the case.   Maybe the Suzuki boosterjet engines don't have this system.

1 hour ago, simon1304 said:

Interested in the comment (Lady Elanore) about the warm up time (assume that this is the 1.4 boosterjet engine).   Some 'downsized' turbo petrol engines (Ford, VAG) have two coolant circuits.    Without going into the complexities thereof, one effect is to supply warm air to the cabin faster than would otherwise be the case.   Maybe the Suzuki boosterjet engines don't have this system.

Ah, I should have stated it's diesel. I've posted about it elsewhere on the site and I forgot most people don't realise it's a Kitten killing, death powered car.

• Haha 2

Most downsized engines take a while to warm up if you are in traffic. Similarly, I find the Citigo, in stationary or slow traffic, will lose engine coolant temperature if the heater is on full heat and fan speed 2, resulting in lukewarm air through the vents. Worst one I've had for warm up was the Kia Rio 1.1 diesel, which took an age to warm up if in slow traffic. Less waste heat means more efficiency.

On 27/01/2018 at 13:22, simon1304 said:

As it happens, there is now a link in the 'Auto Tests' section to this review of the (Maruti) Suzuki Baleno:

http://www.drivelife.co.nz/2018/01/2017-suzuki-baleno-rs-car-review-swift-spacious/

written by our very own Rob Clubley...   :biggrin:

• Like 1

^^^^^^^^^^^^  You had me hoping for a minute that there was going to be a quick Suzuki car.

Sadly only to read 138 hp.

Competitor for the 200/220 hp Clio RS, I don't think so, not in the same league.

Only hope there might be a quick hot hatch Skoda again after the demise of the Fabia 2 VRS but sadly also looking only a slim possibility.

With Skoda discounting there new cars between 20 and 25% due to poor sales one would think they might be more imaginative. 

Nissan-Renault-Mitsubishi now overtaken VW Group as the world's largest car company and now wonder with the offering and issues they have.

After owning a dozen Suzuki bikes would love a Suzuki car I would be proud to own but that day still seems a way away.  

^^^ Weight,

and if you can keep it on the boil at 60 / 70 mph & get into and out of bends you will keep your licence you require for earning your living.

(UK Government / Police / Daily Mail flying kites on 1 mph over speed limits again.)

People are excited at VW Up! GTI's with 113ps or hp, or what ever, 'minimum' & there is no 2 pedal option.

Skoda are doing a limited edition Fabia 1.4 TSI 125ps DSG. 

Pity Limited in Number so there will not be that many around to chose used next year.

Edited by AwaoffSki