New Octavia, why the revs?

Hello All, let me I introduce myself: I am the owner of a brand new Octavia Tsi 150 Se Hatch. I have owned this beauty for a week now. I used to drive a Fabia Tsi 110 Estate which I bought on a PCP contract. As the 3 year contract came to an end I wondered what to do and I found that Skoda was offering a £3000 deposit help on the Octavia model if it was bought on PCP and I took the bait. I had saved up to pay the ownership fee to complete the PCP agreement on the Fabia and I anticipate that the finance company will now accept this sum to reduce the monthly payments to similar to what I was paying for the Fabia..I was very pleased with the Fabia in all respects but I never got used to its DSG gearbox. The gearbox was very characterful and I never knew what is was going to do when pulling away at roundabouts and junctions. Apart from that, it was a joy to use and seemed to suit the engine very well as soon as the car was going with the flow. I was familiar with the Octavia from many taxi journeys and I had been impressed by its space and refinement. Now I own one, my first impressions are how quiet and spacious it is. Plusses are the fuel consumption, at only 300 miles on the clock and it is using less juice than the smaller Fabia. Size wise, it is huge but not unwieldly. I looked at the estate model which I think is a better-looking car but realised that the hatchback has more room than the Fabia estate. I am not really used to the car yet but I have two niggles. There is an annoying reflection in the driver's window and mirror. I found out that the reflection is from a piece of bright work around the driver's side airvent on the dash, it is hockey-stick shape and there is no way I can mask it and I find it distracting. The other niggle is that sometimes when I put the car in first gear, as I release the clutch, the engine revs rise to about 2000 rpm on their own and I sound like a raw learner. This does not always happen and I cannot predict when I am going to start revving the guts out of the poor engine. Does anyone know what is going on here, is it when the engine is cold?

The increased revs when depressing the clutch to engage gear 1st is also a 'feature' on my mk3 Octavia 1.4tsi, but it only flares from the 700rpm idle to just over 1000rpm so is barely noticeable and that is whether cold or warmed up. Really not sure why it does it although if I'm engaging the gear quickly for immediate pull off some of the residual revs are still there and I'm left playing the throttle a bit to balance low revs/clutch engagement with a slight 'flat' spot.

Like yours it seems fairly random and is linked to the clutch depression rather than the gear engagement. It may do it when on the move when using other gears but I probably would not notice it then.

Yours revving to 2000rpm does not sound right at all and should be looked at.

Cannot recall any one else reporting that much revving on their manual diesel either, but I'm open to correction

As above, all O3s have the anti-stall feature which increases the revs as you begin to release the clutch pedal.

The engine should only reach 1000rpm in this condition though so if you are hitting 2000rpm it would seem like a problem to me.

At least its Worth a phonecall to the dealer about it.

• Like 1

I seem to have a vague memory of another TSI with a similar problem on hte forum which was recified by the dealer.

You could check the carpet is not obstructing the Accelerator pedal & clutch operation?

I'll see if I can find it.

I've never noticed this 'feature', in 18months, perhaps because I always rev the engine, in the BSM way, to prevent a stall anyway. Must do a test when no one else is around me.:wondering:

My old 2l diesel Octavia would allow me to pull away on the flat, without touching the accelerator.

The idle revs are sometimes high for a short while after a cold start but only when the external ambient is low

I have looked at this effect more carefully now. It always happens on start up in the morning when I back out from my house, when the engine is cold. But it also seems to happen often when I return. I live on a corner and I have to manoeuvre slowly and carefully to get in and out the drive. It has also happened when I parked on a slope and had to carefully reverse out of the parking slot up hill. In each case, the revs rise to 2000 as I release the clutch after selecting a gear. I am not particularly concerned except it sounds as if  I don't know what I am doing, I will have to tell the neighbours it's the car, not me. Maybe the car detects a gradient and gives the rev increase an extra boost. The engine is so quiet normally that I am having to get used to balancing the clutch and accelerator to make a smooth start and I have stalled it a couple of times, perhaps that is something to do with it. BTW the car is the latest model with split headlights and the new 150 ACT engine. It runs on two cylinders when it cruising on a flat road and the fuel consumption drops dramatically.

16 minutes ago, SoupDragon said:

.................150 ACT engine. It runs on two cylinders when it's cruising on a flat road and the fuel consumption drops dramatically.

As an aside to this I find it amusing that the mpg figure racks up the increase in mpg at about the same rate as the speedo logs the miles when gentle cruising, on the level, with 2 cylinder mode activated; not got above 52 av. mpg yet normally 42/46.

Edited by YMe

SoupDragon=my Octavia 1.5tsi also has the revs increasing to just under 2000 when the clutch is depressed. it can be a bit disconcerting especially when reversing into a parking space, plus it does sound as if you are 'riding the clutch'.

When did you get yours, and from which dealer?

I got mine from Silbury Skoda near Cramlington. It's only a week old and not run in yet. I bought my previous Fabia estate from them as well. It seems that the revs rise is a feature of the car then. Can you narrow it down to cold engine or gradient? It doesn't happen all the time.

1 hour ago, SoupDragon said:

I got mine from Silbury Skoda near Cramlington. It's only a week old and not run in yet. I bought my previous Fabia estate from them as well. It seems that the revs rise is a feature of the car then. Can you narrow it down to cold engine or gradient? It doesn't happen all the time.

I got mine from Silbury as well, 3 weeks ago. The temperature or gradient do not make any difference.

It's more noticeable when manoeuvring at slow speeds.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi, I have a 2018 1.5 TSI SEL manual estate , it arrived in the UK mid February 2018 and was registered for 1st March delivery. I have clearly only driven the car a few times but so far it has not exhibited the excessive anti stall engine revolutions increase reported by others. It seems to idle when cold at about 1000rpm dropping to around 800rpm when warm. The most severe provocation to the anti stall rpm increase phenomena appears to be from cold when reversing uphill off our driveway on fairly hard steering lock. Even this only seems to provoke an increase from 1000rpm to about 1200rpm. The engine appears to be reasonably smooth when running from cold and does not appear to kangaroo down the road. 

• Thanks 1

Like you I find that reflection in drivers side mirror extremely annoying. Have tried a temporary fix of a strip of black gaffa tape over the brightwork and that more or less eliminates it.  Will be masking off the brightwork with masking tape and painting matt black with model paint using artist's brush. This is a really stupid design fault by Skoda.