Does TPMS really work?

I've got a 65 plate scout - Did a tip run this morning, got home, loaded trailer for a 2nd run, got 1 mile down the road and warning came up and told me of pressure loss in rear right tyre.  Pulled over and sure enough it was losing air as  you could hear it.  It was fine to drive the short distance back so turned round and went straight home.  I had checked them last week and they had 36 Psi and when I checked at home it was about 25.  

I managed to get it repaired so all good, however had I not had the Monitoring I would have been on a dual carriage way with a trailer and none the wiser.

• Like 2

I fitted the spare, full size, but did not drop the pressure. It took 3 miles to find it. But there was a lot of round about's  and long bends so wasn't until a straight it pinged up. got tyre fixed and all pressures checked , reset TPMS and been fine since. I trust it ...... still check pressures every 3rd fill.

• 4 years later...

Bit if a thread revival.

The tpms on our 2013 Octavia seems to be a bit hit and miss. A few weeks ago it picked up on the right rear and I pulled over sure enough there was a screw in the tyre. But on the other hand it has thrown several false warnings, all tyre pressures have been consistent and the same pressure as when the system was set. Another time I've fit a spare wheel which has a smaller rolling radius to have a new tyre fitted and it hasn't picked it up.

When we bought our Octavia, if I booted it, it set the tpms off, but all tyres ok.

Kept doing it and was quite annoying. 

Also noticed the battery in the car wasn't good, so I changed that as approaching winter.

Never had a problem after with it, don't know the relationship between the tpms and the battery though, lol. Must have been a spike it dip in voltage.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, RoddersUK said:

When we bought our Octavia, if I booted it, it set the tpms off, but all tyres ok.

Kept doing it and was quite annoying. 

Also noticed the battery in the car wasn't good, so I changed that as approaching winter.

Never had a problem after with it, don't know the relationship between the tpms and the battery though, lol. Must have been a spike it dip in voltage.

I'd take a guess that it was flagging one of the front wheels? - what was most probably setting off your TPMS was a long enough change in traction between the front wheels when you 'booted it', which resulted in sufficient difference in rotational speed to set it off.   

Possibly, but one instance, 50mph on the motorway, warm and dry, booted to 70mph (not a single mph over) and it did it then.

I wouldn't have thought it'd loose traction in that situation.

It doesn't do it now which is good, as don't want to be pulling over and checking all the time, lol

• Like 1

Just picked my 2019 Octavia Scout up from it's second Variable service and the TPMS warning is on constantly!! On top of that, the Engine management light is also on permanently!!

They told me that they all came on the road test, ran some checks on it and have said it needs four new sensors, (some sort of temperature sensors), behind the grill, at a cost of £258.86!!!!! When I returned home, the rear parking sensors are also not working. I am thinking they have jet washed the car and caused al this to happen. Any thoughts?

@rogerdyer  At the service did they check or reset the tyre pressures then reset the TPMS. 

Or have you reset the TPMS.  It needs doing.

Their issue as they caused it if the car was all fine as you delivered it.

How many miles difference from you handing the car in to you collecting it?

As in how far did they take it on a road test?

???

2nd variable service on a 2019 car so has the Haldex been Serviced?

3 years / 30,000 mile interval or sooner.

Edited by roottoot
  • Like 1

Talk with the Dealer Principal and see how they want to deal with the issues.  Not the Service Desk Staff. 

They might need a Master Tech to explain cars to them.

The temperature sensor should not have the TPMS giving warnings. 

?

Have you had the Haldex Serviced, not just the oil changed?

Edited by roottoot

They changed the Haldex oil, £85, when I asked if they cleaned the filter off, the guy told me, they only do that if the oil looks dirty when they drain it!! This is all coming from a main dealer by the way!

• Sad 1

39 minutes ago, roottoot said:

How many miles difference from you handing the car in to you collecting it?

As in how far did they take it on a road test?

Just checked the mileage, and guess what, the answer was zero miles! Think I have proved they are lying to me! Thanks for pointing that out. I have asked for the dealer principles contact details and also asking to be told the full name of the said sensors. Still waiting to hear back.

• Like 1

They tell me it's ambient air temperature sensor that is showing up as a fault, the boss at the dealership is telling me to book the car in again,  so they can see what caused it. Anyone know how many of these sensors the car has, they told me that I need four!!!

All fixed!! They had trapped a cable that leads to said sensor when refitting the underbody protection after the service, no apology from them, but at least they admitted it was their f@@k up!!!