1.5 TSI Manual Fuel Consumption

Bizango

As a company car driver I've always steered towards TDI's for lower CO2 and better fuel consumption. Now the company car tax is not much different (as the diesels have an additional penalty levied against them), my mileage is not as high as it used to be and the uncertainty after 2020 on what the government will further levy on diesels, I'm now thinking of switching to the 1.5 TSI for my next car. Has anyone had a Karoq 1.5 TSI manual for any decent length of time to advise on what kind of mileage you get to a full tank or trip computer MPG figures you're seeing? Many thanks.

1 hour ago, Zealboy said:

My 1.5 DSG has 510 miles and 34.7 from shortish journeys. Will hope it improves!! 

Its nowhere near run-in yet. My Sportage diesel has now done 13000 miles and its MPG is still improving. So the next owner gets the benefit of better MPG .

My wife has a 2016 VW Polo Blue GT 7 speed DSG with the 1.4 TSI 150ps engine (the earlier version of the 1.5l model), and whilst of course the Polo is a much lighter car, it never ceases to amaze me how good an MPG she gets. Just pootling to work and back it's 40-42mpg and on a run down to her sisters (about 110 miles away), driving at 70-75mph it regularly returns mid fifties mpg (once it has 61.2mpg, but that was because of a huge section of 50mph average speed cameras).

If you can get high 30's knocking around the houses and mid 40's on a run, then for something the size and weight of a Karoq, i think that's bloody good going.

Edited by Sootchucker
  • Like 1

Until the new MPG tests are forced on manufactures from September this year, you always need to take the official figures as fantasy. These are done in laboratory conditions, with climate controlled temperatures, no wind resistance and under exacting timings and throttle response etc. The figures (at present) should only be used as a comparison of one vehicle against another, and not what you will get in the real world. Typically most cars are at least 20% worse than the factory figures would suggest (though not always). 

The new tests (called WLTP or " Worldwide Harmonised Light Vehicles Test Procedure"), should start over the next few years to show more realistic figures actually attainable than under the current NEDC system (which have been in place since 1992).  From September 2017, any new cars launched onto the market will be tested under the new WLTP system. Existing models on sale will have until September 2018 before they have to be certified according to the new test.

Edited by Sootchucker

Introduced last year, 1st September 2017.

& now on New Type Approved, which no new Skoda has, or any VW Group as they were Type Approved before 1/9/2017.

& the new WLTP will still not be a car with all the seats filled with people, average weight or above and luggage in the boot, 

maybe a roof box on on bikes on the roof or a trailer on the rear. 

Just as well people have the cars, put in fuel, so can simply say, how many miles they covered and how many litres of fuel to fill up again, 

and what they were doing over that tank full as in driving, local, longer trips, car empty or car loaded, and the weather.

That is 'Real World'.

If a 1.5 TSI EVO can not do 10 miles to a litre as an average on trips there is something far wrong with them.

Or it is just how people drive / use them.

This was always nonsense. Just Fiction.

http://skoda.co.uk/pages/fuel-consumption-statement.aspx 

In the Implausible / irregular Co2 g/km & MPG investigations 2015 into 16 & on Euro 6 emission engines, which was about Cheating, not 'mistakes' Errors, or oversights, 

VW, AUDI & SEAT were at it, Skoda at least were not caught falsifying the 'In a Temperature Controlled Building going no place tests', 

The next Real World Testing will reveal even more cars that were 'implausible' 

hence the end of 1.2 / 1.4 TSI / TFSI ACT-COD,  maybe even not Co2 g/ km for 1.5 TSI EVO's.

VW emissions scandal_ Nine VW vehicles have false CO2 ratings _ Autocar.mhtml

Edited by AwaoffSki

Thanks for all the replies. There is no perfect measure of fuel consumption as everyone drives differently. WLTP has more variation in speed and load and is a longer test. Having seen a NEDC cycle performed it is very unrepresentative of how people drive but it’s the same test for all vehicles so the figures are comparable vehicle to vehicle but the values are to be taken with a (large) pinch of salt.

Decided to go for the 1.5 TSI Edition manual as it’s much better spec’d and cheaper for me as a company car driver than a 1.6 TDI SE L.

On 31/01/2018 at 21:41, OldKaroq said:

Its nowhere near run-in yet. My Sportage diesel has now done 13000 miles and its MPG is still improving. So the next owner gets the benefit of better MPG .

I'd always wondered regarding the idea of MPG improving as the car is "run in" - certainly some years ago cars required to be run in - not exceeding certain revs for first 1000 miles etc, but given improvements in modern manufacturing techniques does this still hold true?

The last few new cars I've owned have shown no upwards trend in fuel economy over 0-3 years / ~ 60k miles.

there's a school of thought that on VW at least, the cars leave the factory with a running in map which resets itself after a prescribed set of miles.

All I know if that for my last two VW Golf GTD's (one a 2013 and one my current 2016), they both felt very tight and almost restricted for the first 600-800 miles, then almost overnight it felt like something had changed and the cars become much more responsive. Was it a running in map that was applied at the factory to reduce torque during the first 600-800 miles, who knows, but I certainly felt them get much better after that mileage ?

Edited by Sootchucker

^^^ School of thought with no truth in fact.

What they leave the factory with is the Oil filled in the factory, and some fuel in the tank.

Then they have new discs, pads, cables, tyres etc.   & at the Dealership they get some more 95 ron petrol or diesel from the cheapest / nearest filling station.

A little later they are getting 'Driven in' (Run in) brakes coating off, things loosening off, new fuel in, driver getting to know the car.

What can make a bigger difference a few thousand miles later is a change from the oil filled at the factory.

40 minutes ago, Sootchucker said:

there's a school of thought that on VW at least, the cars leave the factory with a running in map which resets itself after a prescribed set of miles.

All I know if that for my last two VW Golf GTD's (one a 2013 and one my current 2016), they both felt very tight and almost restricted for the first 600-800 miles, then almost overnight it felt like something had changed and the cars become much more responsive. Was it a running in map that was applied at the factory to reduce torque during the first 600-800 miles, who knows, but I certainly felt them get much better after that mileage ?

I've felt this effect with a lot of new cars, and I'm sure it's something to do with the engine mapping. The engines do seem to suddenly free up, where you'd normally expect it to be a more gradual process.

Although I've regularly been told that modern cars don't need running in (until the Karoq, where the handbook says to use no more than 2/3rds revs for the first 1000 miles), I've always ignored that and run them in. 

7 hours ago, pinkpanther said:

I'd always wondered regarding the idea of MPG improving as the car is "run in" - certainly some years ago cars required to be run in - not exceeding certain revs for first 1000 miles etc, but given improvements in modern manufacturing techniques does this still hold true?

The last few new cars I've owned have shown no upwards trend in fuel economy over 0-3 years / ~ 60k miles.

I can't comment on petrol engines (the Karoq on order will be my first petrol for many years) but the 2 diesels I had from new, Golf and Kia Sportage improved by about 10% over a few years.

6 hours ago, bone_tone said:

Although I've regularly been told that modern cars don't need running in (until the Karoq, where the handbook says to use no more than 2/3rds revs for the first 1000 miles), I've always ignored that and run them in. 

1 hour ago, bigjohn said:

That's a bit more detail than the manual, but confirms the point. In 45 years of driving (30,000+ miles per annum), I've believed that running in new cars in has helped me with zero breakdowns, and none of the new cars I've had has needed any oil between services.

35 minutes ago, bone_tone said:

That's a bit more detail than the manual, but confirms the point. In 45 years of driving (30,000+ miles per annum), I've believed that running in new cars in has helped me with zero breakdowns, and none of the new cars I've had has needed any oil between services.

Indeed - but the moral is not to do "Driving miss Daisy" style all the time otherwise you polish the bores and create an oil burner. I remember the original VAG 2.0 8v 115ps petrol engine was prone to this. I told my dad how to run in his Octavia 2.0 and it never ever needed topping up. His friend (Driving miss Daisy) had a Fabia 2.0 (same age) with the same engine  and you had to follow it with an oil tanker.

Both of these cars were owned by the owners from new.

I also ran my 2001 1.416v Octavia in with a varied driving style and to his day it's not an oil burner and despite the tiny non turbo engine is surprisingly nippy (which is why I still own it - no rust either!)

Back on the original topic - On a longer test drive I reset the trip computer on the start and did part of my commute and it was showing 44mpg on return (don't know how accurate it is of course).

Interestingly back in 2015 when I test drove my Superb 1.4tsi it was also showing 44mpg after an identical test drive - the trip computer has always been surprisingly accurate on this car. Current long term tank to tank mpg of my current car is nearly 46mpg so I potentially expect the Karoq to do the same with my journeys / driving style

Edited by bigjohn

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎31‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 21:41, OldKaroq said:

Similar with me, Iv'e got a '15 reg Qashqai 1.5 dsg  (onPCH until 12th March) coming up to 21k miles & the MPG just keeps getting better & better! The Karoq that's on order is a 1.5 TSI DSG SE-Tech and I guess I'm going to get about 40 % less but I suppose that's the trade-off when changing back to petrol .That said, Iv'e taken the Karoq on a 2 year PCH deal & got a stonking  price from the broker who's arranged the deal so really looking to taking delivery, hopefully on March 1st.

• 3 weeks later...

I find the whole thing about mpg very 'subjective' when I had my 1.4 Fabia VRS it regularly returned low 30's during 'normal but fun' driving, once on the motorway doing 56mpg I achieved 53.4mpg but it was boring as hell, now in my 2.0TDi Octavia (150PS) DSG, going to work (20 miles) I can get close to 40mpg, on the way home this can be as low as 30 if the traffic is really bad , but on the motorway at a steady 75mph it will easily return 50+ usually 55ish

I've got a 1.5TSI Karoq DSG on order and if I can hit mid 30's round town i'll be a very happy bunny, the wife's 1.2 Yeti DSG manages this.

• 4 weeks later...

We've had our 1.5 manual since Jan and we've 1200 miles up on it at this stage, according to the computer its doing 31.4 MPG at an average speed of 18mph.  I took a look back through the data and its only gone over 40MPG twice

I amnow up to 2600 miles, and long term consumption 34.9. Managed to get 39.4 on recent 450 mile round trip. Still hoping for better, but am prepared to put up with it as car is good in other respects.