Engine revs without foot on accelarator

This whole thread has been really interesting (and the experience hugely frustrating) but I'm glad to hear BigKev2, you have been referred back the SKODA UK & even back to the factory... Here’s hoping you manage to get an acceptable resolution ASAP.

I’m still dealing with SKODA UK & my case manager is being very helpful & informative & I’m also hopeful.

I would be very interested though if anyone has had these high revving & lurching issues with the Octavia 1.5 TSI ACT DSG Automatic version... Is this a manual issue alone or not?...

3 hours ago, OLI-G said:

This whole thread has been really interesting (and the experience hugely frustrating) but I'm glad to hear BigKev2, you have been referred back the SKODA UK & even back to the factory... Here’s hoping you manage to get an acceptable resolution ASAP.

I’m still dealing with SKODA UK & my case manager is being very helpful & informative & I’m also hopeful.

I would be very interested though if anyone has had these high revving & lurching issues with the Octavia 1.5 TSI ACT DSG Automatic version... Is this a manual issue alone or not?...

+1

On 06/03/2018 at 01:25, Gerrycan said:

It is good that this forum is highlighting the issue.

I for one would not buy a vehicle with the described characteristics, because long term I know it would drive me round the bend.

I do like the practicality of Skoda design but if they are going to adopt the worst of VW customer service and not listen to valid negative feedback then stuff it, I'll go somewhere else.

Shows how useless and biased car reviews are that this issue has not been acknowledged by them

Agreed. In the past I rejected the not uncommon accusation of pro German / pro VAG bias in the motoring press, assumed it was just sour grapes ...... but, starting to wonder if there might be something to it. 

Still not sure if I did the right thing re 2.0 diesel  v 1.4 petrol, but very glad to have a 1.4 rather than a 1.5.

Edited by Octy0GG
added last line

7 hours ago, iriches said:

My 2014 1.4 TSI also has this anti-stall feature - but it is largely unobtrusive and does not cause the issues that the OP is experiencing.  

If I let the clutch up without pressing the accelerator, the revs will rise, but only by around 2-300 rpm.  It doesn't bounce or kangaroo down the road.

That's the key issue here, the calibration of the 1.5ACT as fitted to the Octavia III is wrong as it increases the revs randomly and by a much larger amount to 1800-2000rpm.

10 hours ago, KevC_Derby said:

The calibration of SOME Octavia 1.5 TSi ACT engined is wrong. I’d guess it is a small amount of retails experiencing this issue.

If it really is only SOME 1.5ACT engines then it would be useful if owners, both affected and not affected, posted their engine ECU firmware versions here - so we can work out if it's a problem in particular engine ECU firmware versions only. This could then be reported to their dealer and/or Skoda UK to help get the problem rectified - or maybe just a different firmware version downloaded to their car?

A VCDS scan reports the engine ECU firmware version...

Edited by SWBoy

What is odd is that the rev effect is random on my car. Yesterday I thought that it had calmed down and was only adding 200/300 revs a I pulled away. Then on another pull away it shot up to 2000 RPM. I find that my work around is to lift the clutch quickly to try and hit the bite point before the revs climb. Not good as that just gives the clutch a thump. Clutch wear will certainly suffer with this Pull away assist, and it wastes fuel. So much for the stop/start fuel saver eh. 

3 hours ago, SWBoy said:

If it really is only SOME 1.5ACT engines then it would be useful if owners, both affected and not affected, posted their engine ECU firmware versions here - so we can work out if it's a problem in particular engine ECU firmware versions only. This could then be reported to their dealer and/or Skoda UK to help get the problem rectified - or maybe just a different firmware version downloaded to their car?

A VCDS scan reports the engine ECU firmware version...

I think what he meant was the same engine 1.5TSI in Kodiaq & Golf don't seem to experience this problem.

It only Octavia 1.5TSI which has this 2000rpm engine increase, which indicates its just a calibration issue for the Octavia as the correct feature behaviour is already seen on other models with the 1.5 engine.

If they could just release the same calibration for the O3 then it would solve the main problem for most people.

4 minutes ago, Gabbo said:

I think what he meant was the same engine 1.5TSI in Kodiaq & Golf don't seem to experience this problem.

It only Octavia 1.5TSI which has this 2000rpm engine increase, which indicates its just a calibration issue for the Octavia as the correct feature behaviour is already seen on other models with the 1.5 engine.

If they could just release the same calibration for the O3 then it would solve the main problem for most people.

So knowing the firmware version number on the1.5TSI in the Octavia, Kodiaq & Golf would be useful then?

So I thought I'd register to add to the tale.  If only to let ya'll know that another dealer is aware of the issue.

My 67 Octavia, 1.5tsi act, manual, also demonstrates the over revving on pull away and bunny hopping.  Like many others the over revving appears to be fairly consistent but sometimes random, but the bunny hopping / kangarooing was very noticeable last week in the sub-zero temperatures. 

So I booked the car in today to make sure there's nothing mechanical wrong, find whether the issues are connected and to check that a fix is in the works.  The answer to all three is yes, which is good enough for me at this time. 

The only additional nuggets that I can add, and I'm not sure how accurate this is as it was being communicated between engineer & service rep to me, is that the issue is something to do with the clutch position sensor needing a software patch, and that the dealers have been told to not attempt any fixes until the patch has been released. 

Overall impression I got was that Skoda are well aware of the situation, I'm not the first to visit this dealer service centre with the issue, and they're going to keep me informed.

Thanks for that Marc. Good to get some fresh input. Clutch position is interesting. The bite point on my clutch is some way higher than the point at which the over revving starts. If the over revving was delayed until bite point it would do what I have been doing for the last  47 years ! Currently the clutch sensor seems to trigger the revs as soon as the pedal leaves the floor. 

Thinking about it, the bunny hopping only happens at ~1500rpm without foot anywhere near the clutch.  If it's all connected and to do with the clutch sensor, does this mean the car thinks we've got our foot on the clutch all the time?!

My gut feeling is that the over revving on pull away and cold engine lumpy running are not connected. On cold starts, once the car is moving and the clutch is released my car just dosnt seem to want to make progress. It feels like an over lean mixture for the prevailing engine temperature. You can get the car to stop hesitating if you over rev the engine, but that's not a satisfactory solution. Luckily this engine warms up quickly. Its so wrong that we have to fight to make the manufacturer realise the car is not fit for purpose. To think that Skoda UK  initially denied that Pull Away Assist existed takes some swallowing

1 hour ago, BigKev2 said:

My gut feeling is that the over revving on pull away and cold engine lumpy running are not connected. On cold starts, once the car is moving and the clutch is released my car just dosnt seem to want to make progress. It feels like an over lean mixture for the prevailing engine temperature. You can get the car to stop hesitating if you over rev the engine, but that's not a satisfactory solution. Luckily this engine warms up quickly. Its so wrong that we have to fight to make the manufacturer realise the car is not fit for purpose. To think that Skoda UK  initially denied that Pull Away Assist existed takes some swallowing

I would agree that the two issues are not connected. I am fortunate (!!) that I only have the over revving problem. Hopefully Skoda will come up with a fix for it soon.

I've been paying close attention to this thread as I had a 1.5 manual on order.  I collected it yesterday and so far haven't had the 'revs' issue to any great extent.  I think it happens a bit when reversing but it's not intrusive.  I haven't noticed it at all in normal driving.  No issues with cold running either, we'll see if the cold snap this weekend changes that.  So it would seem Skoda have  sorted it for cars built now in which case they know how to fix it and should fix the cars of those suffering with the issue as soon as possible, not leave people hanging with an open ended 'update' date.

SOME GOOD NEWS:

Since I started this thread we have had a lot of good mature input - not that we are all old gits mind !

A reminder of my story:

My Skoda dealer was unable to detect any fault and was advised by Skoda that the Pull Away Assist was doing what it should do. I then took up the issue with Skoda UK customer services and my case was closed after several conversations. It was closed on the basis that the factory were unable to change the 'feature'. Clearly this was not acceptable so I enlisted the support of a Senior Manager who covers my local Skoda dealership and others. He was most helpful, videoed the rev counter and re opened my case with Skoda. He has maintained contact with the Skoda Factory on my behalf to push the issue. He has just e mailed me to say that the Skoda Factory rang him today to advise that a Software Update should be available towards the end of this week. It is expected that this update will reduce the severity of the 'rev effect'.

Fingers crossed, I will keep you updated, thanks for all your contributions. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, BigKev2 said:

SOME GOOD NEWS:

Since I started this thread we have had a lot of good mature input - not that we are all old gits mind !

A reminder of my story:

My Skoda dealer was unable to detect any fault and was advised by Skoda that the Pull Away Assist was doing what it should do. I then took up the issue with Skoda UK customer services and my case was closed after several conversations. It was closed on the basis that the factory were unable to change the 'feature'. Clearly this was not acceptable so I enlisted the support of a Senior Manager who covers my local Skoda dealership and others. He was most helpful, videoed the rev counter and re opened my case with Skoda. He has maintained contact with the Skoda Factory on my behalf to push the issue. He has just e mailed me to say that the Skoda Factory rang him today to advise that a Software Update should be available towards the end of this week. It is expected that this update will reduce the severity of the 'rev effect'.

That is good news, I'll wait to hear from Silbury to get the car booked in for the update.

4 hours ago, BigKev2 said:

SOME GOOD NEWS:

A reminder of my story:

Some good news & reward for your perseverance!

Thank you Big Kev and Dave Lees and all the other members who have input into this problem. Thank you for persevering and hopefully coming up with a fix. At present I am accepting the lumpiness when the engine is stone cold because it soon disappears. I am getting used to the big rev rise when manoeuvring because it no longer comes as a big surprise to me but the rev rise is very  annoying when I come home at night. It nearly always happens when I turn sharp right and then sharp left to get into the my drive and I hope the neighbours don't think I am doing it deliberately or that I can't drive properly. I will contact Silbury Skoda where I bought the car.

MORE GOOD NEWS

The dealership Manager that has been pushing my case has just been in touch to say that the Software update is now available. The Service dept are going to ring me today and arrange to get it done 

• Like 2

Silbury Skoda have just phoned to tell me that they have the software update for the over-revving problem and can update my car. I have arraigned to get it done on 4th April. I will let you know what happens.