sat nav update

cssuk

our skoda is a 2012 prefacelift model and am looking to upgrade the Sat nav am also trying to see if DAB can be added or is that a different Radio, this is a Columbus is it just a case of getting a antenna or were there alternate versions as the Audio manual mentions DAB it had DVDs etc and a 30 gb hard drive built in

Hi,

If your Columbus is not equipped with DAB option then there are different scenarios possible:

1. Upgrade your current Columbus unit. This requires change of so called "radio board", adjustment of version in mainboard registers (service software needed, e.g. SetConfig or Martech), flashing the unit with new software.

2. Add external DAB module. There are some available on the market that can be handled via Columbus touch screen menu.

3. Exchange the unit with other Skoda unit having DAB option on-board.

4. Exchange the unit with aftermarket product having DAB option on-board.

Personally I would recommend option number 3. Assuming you want to have OEM navigation on-board as well you can choose between:

1. Amundsen+ (e.g. 3T0035192R)

2. Columbus (3T0035686x where x is a letter)

3. Amundsen MIB STD2 PQ (unit originally installed in Yeti from MY15 onwards, model numbers 5L003560A, 5L0035680C, 5L0035680E)

The order is from the cheapest to the most expensive one.

• Like 1

thanks for that in all honesty DAB is not a deal breaker, how about software updates i can see the later versions can be downloaded FOC from Skoda is there such a service for the older one or is it a case of ebay? anyone any idea what skoda would charge as part of a standard service

57 minutes ago, cssuk said:

...................... anyone any idea what skoda would charge as part of a standard service

I imagine that it would only be an arm and a leg.

Drefaldwyn

• Haha 2

21 hours ago, cssuk said:

our skoda is a 2012 prefacelift model and am looking to upgrade the Sat nav am also trying to see if DAB can be added or is that a different Radio, this is a Columbus is it just a case of getting a antenna or were there alternate versions as the Audio manual mentions DAB it had DVDs etc and a 30 gb hard drive built in

The Columbus unit fitted to the facelifted Superb 2 has a DAB tuner. It should be compatible with the original model to allow for a straight swap but you'll need to fit a DAB antenna. Beware buying used units on eBay: the Columbus is very popular with thieves across Europe and many stolen units find their way onto eBay at very attractive prices. Given that there's a healthy market for all Columbus units, this could be relatively cheap since you can sell your current unit.

Alternatively, if the DAB station you want to listen to provides an online stream and you have a decent data package on your phone, you can use bluetooth to stream audio from your phone to the Columbus media player.

21 hours ago, cssuk said:

I updated my sat nav 2012 L&K, using these guys that that I got from this site so hopefully it is still allowed. 

Edited by john999boy
Link deleted.

On 2/6/2018 at 16:27, cssuk said:

I could probably do you a trade in for yours against a DAB Columbus.

• Like 1

oops didnt read the fine print.

when you say trade  in will it just pop straight in or will i also need a new antenna etc and will i need to have it all reset by skoda?