Sludge in my coolant tank

Yesterday I took my car for its first service since I purchased it in July as the service message started showing, the dealer rang me and told me there is sludge in the coolant that needs sorting and it will be in for 3 days and cost around £500 does anybody have any knowledge about this problem and what may have caused it.

Thanks 

On 17/02/2018 at 11:56, un1eash said:

I'd ask the dealer for more information before handing over £500. Sludge in the coolant is usually because its mixed with oil.

I’d second that, definetely ask for more info if they’re saying its going to cost £500. Oil in the coolant can be a symptom of head gasket failure. 

For sludge to be in the water, oil will have to have got into the water. That means somewhere there is a failure of a gasket usually a head gasket. I would  keep a very close eye on your oil and water. And I would want to know what the £500 was actually for. Could be they are doing the head gasket.

They said it was for dropping the coolant, flushing and fitting replacement hoses.

I have looked at it today very quickly and can see white specks in the coolant tank and the water is a rusty colour, will take a knife out tomorrow and try scraping the bottom off the tank to see if I can see anything and will get a photo.

I would ask them for a written quotation of the work they recommend doing.

500gbp seems way too much just to flush the coolant & replace it. (it should be a 15minute job with the correct equipment).

At the last major service I had the coolant replaced & the whole service cost less than that including the oïl & filter changes.

Changing the water pump, which I understand is a difficult job, also costs around 600gbp & this includes the pump, coolant & labour time to change the pump.

That muck is coming from somewhere. A 4 year old car (well, any age car really) should have clear coolant. Any muck at all needs investigating. A simple combustion gas test would give them a lot more info and probably tell them if it is head gasket or not. 

To be frank, £500 to hose it out and re-fill it (if that is all they are doing) is taking the **** and is also not doing anything to address the cause of the muck. 

I would vote with my feet and go somewhere a bit more competent.

Edited by edwards

I believe the coolant tank has a silicone release bag. If this ruptures it can cause blockages and sludge in the coolant system

Maybe why you are being quoted for a new tank

Edited by logiclee

So a used car.

?

Since you have not from new have you the service and warranty history. 

When was the last service, and done where?

Pre owned cars can have had Rad Weld / K-seal added rather than getting a water pump replaced, 

and any old stuff put in instead of the correct coolant.

The car was serviced by Skoda in Scotland 12 months ago I got the car in july, they also said the brake fluid needed changing as there was no history of it being done and when I checked the electronic service record today it was done last year by Skoda in Scotland, something else I need to sort

39 minutes ago, AwaoffSki said:

Serviced by whom.

Arnold Clark, Parks, Henrys, Ingrams, West End, John Clark or some other Dealership group or garage?

Bristol St Motors Skoda, Derby

Hi Oddy.

Read This Post Here about your sludge issue.

Possibly the cause - very very common on these engines, sadly.

Depending on If you're out of official warranty, you MAY be able to get this sorted at cheaper/no expense, if you have a goodwill reputation with the service agent/dealer.

Good luck with it - but definitely DON'T drive it too much before it gets flushed and fixed.